first rant - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

first rant

Only been here a day as well!

Went into the alfa garage yesterday to sign paperwork, nice salesman wasnt there so got another oik who was so far up himself I wondered if he could actually see daylight!

anyway thats not the rant!..... he went through the figures and there was a niggle that wasnt quiet right but kinda kept quiet (the longer I was in his presence the more I wanted to hit him)!

Anyway came home and looked at said paperwork! I was told the car was 8500 on the road inc car tax (at that point rubbbed hands together) only to find out its been added to my car price and ..... AND (sorry for caps but youll know why now..) charged 399 for insurance! insurance for what I have no idea.

I know Im a women and on my own and no macho man to protect me but swizzle or what!!!!, so a rant on nice salemans voicemail is in order and hopefully £657 off the price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: first rant

Not sure I understand exactly what happened but best of luck with it anyway
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

sorry

im being asked to pay for road tax and insurance when quoted that i wouldnt as it was all inc in the price!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Want a Knight in Armour, to represent you in the future? Bit of a Don Quixote, I'm afraid, but still ready for a joust or two, to protect the fairer sex!: Seriously, I have evidence this does happen, hence my female contingent, never wishing to go near a garage, period. You have my sympathies. Good Luck.:
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Rip Off Britain?:
emgee

Congratulations on youre first rant.

It's all downhill from here and in less that 2 years you'll be writing 16 letters a day to your local newspaper in purple crayon.

Oh, and good luck getting that money off.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

This happened to me and I have to be honest I get a refund from the dealer for the car tax which had been added - took a few calls but they did pay up.

Is the insurance some sort of Gap policy to protect you against depreciation if the car is a total loss (assuming there is some sort of finance on the car).

This should have been made clear to you prior to signing any documentation.

(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

oooo a Don Quixote sounds nice as I have given up on a younger model lol I do tend to stand my ground when I feel im being ripped off, (my sister calls me the doberman of the family) !! as I dont give up but sometimes a man to occumpany me would be nice

at the mo i am still waiting to hear if I can get finance!!!! arrrgggh I just want my car but once they say yes I will see what this insurance is, the car is second hand so not sure if it would be a depreciation insurance but could be.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Be grateful your Alfa dealer is still trading, we don't have one any where near us !

Oh, and go get the money back !!!! Any problems try Consumer Direct (Trading Standards)

Good first rant !!!
AlfaLincs

Yup..they are ripping you off. They sell you a car at near cost (which looks a good deal) and make the profit on the add ons. If these items were not discussed/agreed with you, just present them with a cheque for £8500 and strike out the other items. They may not let you have the car...if so ...walk away is my advice, and find a car where the garage treats you properly.

AlfaLincs

emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliaz View Post
oooo a Don Quixote sounds nice
How can I put this?

When selecting a Don Qixote with a certain number of miles on the clock, check carefully for wear and tear - especially on the lance. Your windmill will never get a proper tilting if that crucial component is beyond repair. It's no good expecting Sancho Panza to step in every time and get the job done.

Now I make no comment on the current state of any current model. It's always worth getting a proper inspection first, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
How can I put this?

When selecting a Don Qixote with a certain number of miles on the clock, check carefully for wear and tear - especially on the lance. Your windmill will never get a proper tilting if that crucial component is beyond repair. It's no good expecting Sancho Panza to step in every time and get the job done.

Now I make no comment on the current state of any current model. It's always worth getting a proper inspection first, though.

I am sure ZF's lance is still as sharp as ever.....

Chris
AO Member

That alfa garage didn't have a good reputation when I lived there, if its the one I'm thinking of, is it the dealership on Mill Road?

At least if you want to speak to someone who knows about what to do when things go wrong you have Jamie Porter at Alfaworkshop down the road in Royston.
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

Yep its that garage, and the reason why I decided with the alfa is Jamie in Royston as I found his site first and set my mind at rest. I will be taking it to him to look over once I get it and see what needs doing that I can get on the warrenty.

I have e-mailed them today about the "added extras" and a message was left for me to call them have done and left a message for them to call me!!!

So its still a case of watch this space and I just want my alfa now (aptly named Alfie - Im a women so no sexist comments comments lol)
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

update ....

I have to pay for the car tax and instead of also paying interest on it for 5 years its being taken out of my deposit! Had to argue the fact that I would be paying interest on a £205 cost that comes out my pocket each year anyway, are salesman thick!.....

The insurance is a gap insurance and its a "good deal" with lots of people taking it up ..... erm not me mate! I would rather spend the money on personalised number plates ta! but ill leave that till i pick up the car which will be ......................

Tuesday - so 5 days and counting (rather impatiently)

Well done for standing your ground.....

Yep the old gap insurance that they try and palm you off as a standard requirement rather than an option....

Yep its good if you want it - but if you don't you should not have to have it removed from the bill....

Chris

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page