I want the latest model phone please..... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Keithy
  • 1 Post By addo

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 20-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I want the latest model phone please.....

People who want the latest iPhone 7 but don't know how to fully use the old iPhone 4 they already have.

People that complain they cannot get onto their Outlook account via the web browser, then are surprised they can, if you set up a mail account via the phone they've had several years.

People who send you details of a product by typing out its details laboriously, rather than sending you a link, then complain the iPhone 4 they have doesn't send links, "So I have to do it that way".....then... "Oh, I didn't know it did that!"

People who leave their iPhone in the boot of their car all day and don't check it before heading home, and then complain if you have to contact them via their works phone, "Which is not for personal calls"

No name no pack drill.

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Just think how much value that Seven will add to the car's boot, compared to an iPhail4.

I'm a believer in making these things work for me, and still consider myself barely having a toe in the water.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Mrs Verbs is gonna kill you when she finds out 'cos I rat you out if she finds out.

Err, I mean, anyone we know?
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 20-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Mrs Verbs is gonna kill you when she finds out 'cos I rat you out if she finds out.

Err, I mean, anyone we know?
It isn't Mrs. V, a clue, one of my mothers daughters.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
This is turning into that riddle about a man and his father in a car crash who are rushed to hospital where the surgeon looks at the younger man and says "I can't operate on him, this man is my son!"

<Whispers: Watching Mrs Pat operate her fruit phone is a bit like watching Dumbledore practicing his spell-casting>
Verbout likes this.
AO Member

Try telling the clueless, that if you hold or lay the phone 100% flat (per the inbuilt spirit level) it holds charge far longer. Should keep 'em occupied for hours.

Just remembered a true story of someone (highly qualified, well paid professional) who "should've known better" with the latest Fruit barely six months ago. They didn't know about the inbuilt torch, and had downloaded the Worlds Brightest Flashlight app (or whatever it's called) - the one which hoovers up all your personal data en route.
Verbout likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 21-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

We've were at the premier of War Horse at the Lowry Theatre a few years ago (La-di-da, dontcha know) where we met some of the cast of Coronation Street. Mrs. V wanted a photo with the gorgeous and friendly Paula Lane (Kylie), she had to show Mrs. V how to take a selfie

I have to nursemaid a wife and sister on the workings of iPhones, the sister doesn't have much of a clue.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
<small voice> I harbour a suspicion that I don't know half the things my phone can do, and its an ancient Samsung that barely merits the term "smartphone". It can access t'internet, but only if you give it half a day's notice, and offer a newborn in sacrifice (I think that's what the instructions said).......<small voice off>

But so long as I can make calls, text and take snaps, that'll do me.......I have a computer
AO Member

I can live without it, as a driving aid it's hard to beat, that said I have a Bluetooth interface on the car audio.

So I get GPS instructions through the car speakers from either Google Maps or Fruit Inc Maps - no £130 SD card to buy annually. If there is an incident, I have in the smartphone, a camera with flash to document damage, other people, licences. Were a call to road services needed, I can tell them the exact coordinates of where I am.

For swatting mosquitos in the dead of night, it (the screen) illuminates the blighters without spooking them like a regular torch... Whack! Working mobile, I can ask the office "Shall I replace this lock (pictured) as well?". In my unscientific and amateurish opinion, the holiday snaps taken by a modern smartphone are more than good enough for most people and the addition of another device (the digital camera) is just gadget addiction.

I like the option of contactless payments using a smartphone, not as the only option, but a potentially handy one. If I go into the hardware, I can with the phone, show the staff an item listed on their website and say "Where will I find this?". The news, videoconferencing, movement tracking is just frippery to me. And I love the fact that if I open up Fruit Inc's "Find Friends", it says to me "No Suggestions".

The calendar with alerts and ability to set recurring reminders is useful, sharing events can be handy although this is often restricted to like forms of operating system. You can also overlay other calendars, this can save a faux pas based on cultural infamiliarity. Have to say also, the Fruit's inbuilt spirit level is scarily accurate, I have screenshot inadequate fall on a roof and sent the data straight to the office - things like this help to shorten the time between identifying problems (or their root causes) and gaining assent to remediate. Happier people, faster, and invoices turned around faster.

A final note from myself on this, the iPhail 4 does most of my listed activities!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Once upon a time when GUI first came out the buzz word was Intuitive. (GUI= Graphical User Interface, e.g. Windows instead of rows of green characters). Now every system will be Intuitive. No-one will need training; you just pick up a device or look at an application and you'll see how it works.

That got forgotten quickly. Nobody cares about designing anything for usability. Now only a minority of educated people can set the timer on an oven, cars are scrapped before the owner finds out how the radio works, smart TVs do dumb things and need three remotes to start them, it takes hours to reset the off time on a boiler, and a phone is used mainly for photographing one's ear.

I declare myself to be with the stupid, the incompetent, the moronic, and the idiotic. (In case you hadn't noticed). I CAN build a website from scratch using raw HTML. I CAN'T work my multi function alarm clock. If the Luddite could spell his own name I'd be his follower.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page