Cancelling stuff - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

3Likes
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By Greener123
  • 1 Post By stuart1714

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 19-11-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Cancelling stuff

I received a renewal for an insurance policy for plumbing and drainage cover that I vaguely knew I had, but hadn't thought about in a long while. Upon realising that I'm paying £140 notes a year for stuff I'd probably fix myself if it went wrong - and have done - I decided to cancel it.

I logged on and found they had a portal.....and it had all of my account details on. I could change them. I could add more policies. I could tweak little bits of cover. Really helpful.

If I want to cancel I have to phone a number or write a letter.

No online or email option to cancel is a bloody travesty in 2016 and just demonstrates a) what a bunch of scummy capitalists *******s everyone else is; and b) what a spineless wimp I am for not wanting to call.

In my defence.....a couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune of having to cancel a sim-only deal with Virgin. It took 5 phone calls and a little bit of cross-man behaviour to get it sorted.

'stards :bangheed:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
And another thing: our daughter wanted to try an app on the iPad for doing some art. The thing was £2.99 and only used for one sesh and never again. However my wife gets charged ever month for it and cannot work out how to cancel with Apple. This is really irritating.
Verbout likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 19-11-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
On a number of occasions I've had to google and find the way out - in doing so I find myself swimming in murky waters with thousands of like-minded souls.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
I received a renewal for an insurance policy for plumbing and drainage cover that I vaguely knew I had, but hadn't thought about in a long while. Upon realising that I'm paying £140 notes a year for stuff I'd probably fix myself if it went wrong - and have done - I decided to cancel it.

I logged on and found they had a portal.....and it had all of my account details on. I could change them. I could add more policies. I could tweak little bits of cover. Really helpful.

No online or email option to cancel is a bloody travesty in 2016 and just demonstrates a) what a bunch of scummy capitalists *******s everyone else is; and b) what a spineless wimp I am for not wanting to call.

In my defence.....a couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune of having to cancel a sim-only deal with Virgin. It took 5 phone calls and a little bit of cross-man behaviour to get it sorted.

'stards:bangheed:
Cancelling the DD always works, one call to the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
And another thing: our daughter wanted to try an app on the iPad for doing some art. The thing was £2.99 and only used for one sesh and never again. However my wife gets charged ever month for it and cannot work out how to cancel with Apple. This is really irritating.
Cancel the debit/credit card on the apple account.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
They normally sneakily try to get you to sign up to a recurring payment authority, which isn't cancellable like a direct debit.........
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Cancelling the DD with the bank only doesn't always cancel it completely. We have to advise that cancelling it with the bank only does not cancel the provision for goods or services, the company is within its rights to set up the DD again as they have a contract in place with you.

The bank is able to cancel a CPA (continuous payment authority) on a debit card but again we advise to contact the company aswell, it will block the retailer completely as it registers it with visa, so if it's a company you want to use again you can't really do it. Things like Amazon or iTunes may set some subscriptions on a CPA and if you want to purchase things through them normally aswell you can't really cancel the CPA through the bank as all transactions to that company will be blocked.

I agree that everything like that should be cancellable online
Verbout likes this.

PSN ID - Greener_CFC1

"Blue is the colour, football is the game, we're all together and winning is our aim, so cheer us on through the sun and rain, coz Chelsea... Chelsea is our name."
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I've had to cancel/adjust several utilities and services recently owing to a change of address. I must admit I wasn't looking forward to my call to SKY TV to cancel my subscription for TV and broadband. I was prepared to be on the phone for at least 30 minutes and ready to react to countless tactics to try to keep my business. As it turned out I did have to pass through three separate departments despite me asking for 'cancellations' from the outset, but when I finally got through to the right person my request was dealt with pretty swiftly. Once the operator realised that I wasn't faking my cancellation in order to try and get a bill reduction he gave up trying to upsell me and was very thorough in answering my questions regarding final payments and cut of dates etc. I was on the phone for 18 minutes in the end (I timed the call for my own interest) and I thanked the chap for dealing with my request so efficiently.
On the other hand, cancelling my TV license was somewhat of a faff. It involved several emails to and fro from me to the licensing department, many of which were unnecessary confirmations of previous emails.

Unimpressed by cars with less than 4 cylinders or below 1600cc.....and don't get me started on hybrids
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
We've both recently changed our mobile phone accounts from T-mobile to Giff-Gaff. Contrasting experiences requesting PAC's from T-Mobile. For me, it was just a quick call, "OK, I'll do that". My wife, on the other hand, got a grilling: "Why are you leaving us", "who is your new provider", "are they cheaper". . . blah blah blah. She ended up saying something along the lines of "just shut up & give me the code" (although more politely-worded).
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post

'stards:bangheed:
I more than share that ire!

I applied for a loan the the other week:
Day 1: all documents signed, sealed and delivered, online.
Day 2: no Funds in my account
Day 3: no Funds in my account and No contact from the vendor.
Day 4: I email them to ask if there are any problems
Day 5: I receive an e-mail thanking me for my email, but no mention of them actually being aware of my problem.
Day 6: I email the loan company to say that I wish to terminate any agreement that was previously made.
Day 6 : I receive a "no-reply" response.
Day 7: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
At the beginning of this month I only found out I've been paying for Netflix in the US since 2014.

They did refund me 12 month and let me watch until the 25th, but still....

AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

The Apple help page for cancelling subscriptions is here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202039

I had a twelve month subscription for a tech magazine and they went and changed the app from a nice clearly laid out interactive app to a scanned in image which was rubbish and a waste of time as the image wasn't the right size for a mobile device and I used this to cancel the subscription.
addo likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page