Another relationship break up thread. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 25-01-08 Thread Starter

Another relationship break up thread.

Not proud of this at all. For some reason my girlfriend really winds me up, makes me irrationally and uncontrollable angry. I am appalled to say that it has driven me to violence, I have broken furniture. (Although I am extremely insistent to add I have never physically hurt her, although i'm sure it scared her.) It came to a head this afternoon and as such she is moving out as soon as she has found a property she can afford back in yorkshire and can move her business into. (I am the sole mortgage holder here, but she runs her own business from home..... and as such cannot simply 'go.')

I have felt so uncertain about this relationship for a long time now, but have tried to make it work, but the fact remains I have so many doubts, so many mixed emotions about spending and investing any more time into the relationship that I feel that breaking up is surely the best option for both of us, she deserves bettter then someone who has anger fits and is not totally commited. She however feels differently, feels that I am 'throwing things away,' despite there being this unhealthy side to the relationship, despite how I am and how she makes me feel at times. She says I am the 'best' man she has ever been with. How on earth can that be so considering how I react to things once in every two months or so! I appreciate that we have put a year and a half of our lives into this... but if its not right! If there is something rotten at the core... why try to keep it going?

I feel awful to hurt her as this will be doing, but I cannot understand why she would want to stay? This is bloody awful. Do I need some kind of counselling? She is the only person who has ever made me this agry! Its for insignificant petty things. But like clockwork once every 2 months or so I go off on one.

God this is crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.5 v6

Re: Another relationship break up thread.

My X wife had the same affect on me. The only girl who who pushed all the right buttons and made my blood boil. I was with her for 7 years and 6 of them unhappy. I do however have a beautifull duaghter from the relationship so looking back I would't change anything. I did however get some counselling as I scared myself sometimes with the amount of rage I felt. Turns out the last 2 boyfriends she's had since we split have left her for the same reason.

It's not fair on either of you to carry on like this. Get some counselling. I'm sure it will make you feel better and clear a few things up about yourself, I know it did for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Owning an Alfa is not a matter of life or death...... It's much more important than that.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Colin. PM me mate. I've suffered from anger / destructive issues before. Pretty violent too on times although like you, never directly to my wife. You need help & I can advise if you want. Cheers, Simon.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

I'd go with the counselling thing, in fact I did, it's very helpful and helps you to get things out in the open you don't even know about.

What's probably going on is her actions touch on patterns of behaviour that have caused you some hurt in the past, I can't think that you are that irrational, to be fair everybody has some level of emotional baggage but left un dealt with it can rule your life.

My then girlfriend forced me to go to a Psychologist and it turned out a lot of my **** stems from me suffering from ADHD as a child (and still do to a certain extent as an Adult), problem was that when I was a sprog ADHD didn't even exist and I'd never heard of it before seeing the Psych.

Counselling of some sort is the way to go for an objective view. Good luck mate

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Best remedy I have found is just get old like me, and then everything fizzles out, and becomes of no real consequence. Well, except that, when the other party is condescending, and agreeable sometimes.
AO Member

Its hard to end it some time, but your in a vicous circle, My ex had been cheating on me smashed my house up, vandalised my car and posted lies about me all over the net, we constantly argued, as well as try to get me sacked from my job, yet i still thought i wanted to be with him because after everything i still loved him so much, but we did go to a councoller an that made everything worse, we split an now it was the best thing i have ever done, its strange at first but all the stress is gone, ours was after 17yrs an now i just always feel calm, try living apart for a while an se what happens, if its ment to be you'll find each other Good luck

paintergirl

I've been on the receiving end of this anger/destruction in my first marriage. I regretted the marriage from the first year on and stayed for eight more. In the end I feared for my own safety and also that of my son and step-daughter.

My ex went to anger management in an effort to get me back but it was two sessions and the counsellor said he was fine. If you do go to counselling make sure you get what you need. My son was subjected to his father telling him he was going to shoot my now husband. I've no idea how much damage that may have done.

I moved on and have never been happier. My ex remarried but is now divorcing again but seems more settled. We get on fine now we don't have to live together!

I wish you good luck. You are being honest about your feelings which is a very good start. Yes, do seek help from professionals but also your friends and family. You'll be surprised how much they've seen and not spoken up about.

Do PM me if you need to chat. I'd be happy to help all I can

AO Platinum Member

Quite consoling this thread, for us wrinkled skins, ready to drop off the tree of life! Peace and acceptance, on the relationship front. Decided way back, she doesn't like me, and I don't like her, but we endure?:
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Difficult times, all relationships have their ups and downs. Not been in this position, but the wife has in a previous relationship. You will probably feel a huge weight lifted off your shoulders when it's all over.
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Lifes too short to be with the wrong person - or car sorry. It is better to move on, I was in your shoes, moved on had a few g/friends, then found someone who is special in so many ways, but still hard work My life is much more fulfilled now and yours will be too.
All the best pal
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Oh god! I'm in much the same position, but as soon as it seems to be coming to a head I give up. I always manage to push it too far though. Tonight, I woke one of the kids up mid-argument by kicking one of the cupboards really hard.

I don't want to leave the relationship I'm in, but, as you do, I question why the hell she would want to be with me, someone who flies off the handle in such petty arguments. I mean, FFS, the argument tonight was about the fact I'm friends with someone she doesn't like, nor does she have to see!

Hope you get it sorted mate, and I'll just keep plodding along. Been with her for 8 or 9 years, 2 kids, and nothings gonna change here.

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Quite consoling this thread, for us wrinkled skins, ready to drop off the tree of life! Peace and acceptance, on the relationship front. Decided way back, she doesn't like me, and I don't like her, but we endure?:
Sorry to hear this ZF Take care.
Global Mod Team

Garage

Violence/aggression sometimes stems from hormones being out of wack too. It's worth checking with your Dr.
I've seen this first hand and once everything settles down the hurtful behaviour just goes away.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that ZF - but surely something is keeping you together, even if it is only the distant memory of something you once had?
AO Platinum Member

According to Jung the people we have the strongest positive feeling too are also the ones we have the strongest negative feeling too, hence the reason why we have such capacity to hate the ones we used to love.

However Colin, in your case I think you obviously have doubts about the relationship, and to be honest I think you know its time to move on. I don't think you need counselling, just time to work out what or who you really want in life.
AO Member

colin, move on NOW,and sort yourself out before your anger hurts your partner phisicaly or mentaly, go see your doctor and tell them.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicgal93 View Post
Violence/aggression sometimes stems from hormones being out of wack too. It's worth checking with your Dr.
Clare uses that old excuse to give me a good slapping for a few days every month
AO Platinum Member

CG, GS, the fact that we have both changed so much over the years makes it a relationship which is so very different from what it was. As I said, we endure, and get on in a sort of companionable, working fashion.

I wonder how many couples try desperately hard to please each other, by doing things together,in the early days, when in reality, one or the other, may not really like a certain thing, but goes along with the others wishes at the time?

I have always liked dancing, and initially I thought she was also a fan. Years later it transpired, she really disliked dancing, but had never told me that fact previously.

I'm a homing pigeon, whereas she has the wanderlust to travel. We did plenty together in the earlier years of our relationship, but now I prefer to stay at home, whereas she still wants to roam. So, I just accept she travels sometimes with her mum, and I do my thing at home. Suits, in a matter of fact way.

As I said earlier, we endure, but the romantic, need to be together factor, has evaporated really, but we have both accepted our differences, and are content with it being thus. I'm a bit of a romantic, whereas she is not: No real problems, but how people change with the passage of time is most remarkable? To me, anyway.:
Global Mod Team

Garage

Quote:
CG, GS, the fact that we have both changed so much over the years makes it a relationship which is so very different from what it was. As I said, we endure, and get on in a sort of companionable, working fashion.

I wonder how many couples try desperately hard to please each other, by doing things together,in the early days, when in reality, one or the other, may not really like a certain thing, but goes along with the others wishes at the time?

I have always liked dancing, and initially I thought she was also a fan. Years later it transpired, she really disliked dancing, but had never told me that fact previously.

I'm a homing pigeon, whereas she has the wanderlust to travel. We did plenty together in the earlier years of our relationship, but now I prefer to stay at home, whereas she still wants to roam. So, I just accept she travels sometimes with her mum, and I do my thing at home. Suits, in a matter of fact way.

As I said earlier, we endure, but the romantic, need to be together factor, has evaporated really, but we have both accepted our differences, and are content with it being thus. I'm a bit of a romantic, whereas she is not: No real problems, but how people change with the passage of time is most remarkable? To me, anyway.:

Very nicely put ZF. We do change over time and most of us accept it.
Global Mod Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Clare uses that old excuse to give me a good slapping for a few days every month

It works for men also SR, you and your testosterone, too much and aggression takes over the personality.
AO Member

Member car:

alfasud trike

you both need time apart to realise whats important.
while your stuck together its gonna end in tears
AO Silver Member

County: South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Its hard to end it some time, but your in a vicous circle, My ex had been cheating on me smashed my house up, vandalised my car and posted lies about me all over the net, we constantly argued, as well as try to get me sacked from my job, yet i still thought i wanted to be with him because after everything i still loved him so much, but we did go to a councoller an that made everything worse, we split an now it was the best thing i have ever done, its strange at first but all the stress is gone, ours was after 17yrs an now i just always feel calm, try living apart for a while an se what happens, if its ment to be you'll find each other Good luck
There are two sides to every story...unfortunatly some will only ever believe there side and wont dare tell anyone what realy happened as they fear the fact that they will be seen in an equally bad light!
Global Mod Team

Garage

In every relationship there are 2 people. Coming to terms with all the negative energy without spreading lies or doing harm to one another will help the healing process progress faster. I wish you well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page