Fuel Duty - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 49 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage
Not Happy Fuel Duty

The government is imposing another 2p a litre (+ VAT) on fuel duty in April this year and another 1.8p next April and they have the gall to state the current high fuel prices has nothing to do with them and is down to the price of oil. Until we get the chance to vote for a new government all we can do is sign petitions (not that they take any notice).

I think they are now taking the p*ss out of us motorists.

For those of you who have not yet signed please do so by clicking the following link;

Petition to: Reduce the rate of fuel duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Fuel Duty

It will probably rise even more, something has to pay for the Northern Crock Fiasco.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

I predict a riot !
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Signed!

I think 80p per litre for petrol and diesel is something the government should be aiming for, that might not be cheap compared to the rest of the world but it would make a positive difference to everyone who works and drives there.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Signed!

I think 80p per litre for petrol and diesel is something the government should be aiming for, that might not be cheap compared to the rest of the world but it would make a positive difference to everyone who works and drives there.

Agree Pud237,
Pluss the feel good factor would be priceless to the nation.
John.
AO Gold Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

AstraBox

The cost of fuel is rediculous, ive been religiously filling up with BP Ultimate but now (in my area) its now at 110.9p and with the prospect of it going up to about 113p its getting stupid!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Grab it while you can, neer' mind the price! Western economies in a pickle, fuel oil heading toward China and India.Must dig those old petrol coupons out from the seventies, if I can find them.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
For those of you who have not yet signed please do so by clicking the following link;

Petition to: Reduce the rate of fuel duty.

Do you really think that signing a petition will make a blind bit of difference to how this bunch of theivin bar-stewards work... You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you do... They don't give a damb about the ordinary fella in the street. I voted for them back when they got back in the 90's. I completely wasted my vote, and I'll never vote for them again, but I'll make sure that I do vote though cos' we need to make sure we get rid of them ASAP!!!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
Do you really think that signing a petition will make a blind bit of difference to how this bunch of theivin bar-stewards work... You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you do... They don't give a damb about the ordinary fella in the street. I voted for them back when they got back in the 90's. I completely wasted my vote, and I'll never vote for them again, but I'll make sure that I do vote though cos' we need to make sure we get rid of them ASAP!!!
But who do you replace them with though? The Tories? They'll not lower fuel duty, they started the fuel duty 'escalator' in the first place (and I've always voted for them ).. The Lib Dems will probably raise it even faster, not that they'll get in anyway cause no-one knows who's even the party leader at the moment.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
they'll get in anyway cause no-one knows who's even the party leader at the moment.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting more tax on fuel, I think it's fairer than other forms of taxation for cars like increasing the road fund license. At least that way people who drive 30K a year (My girlfriend in her company car with a company fuel card) will be taxed more than people who drive 6K a year (Me who pootles to Huddersfield and back 5 days a week).

It's the fairest way of taxing the motorist I think.
AO Platinum Member

I've signed too. Originally when they brought in these rolling duty rises it was part of an integrated transport policy, the idea being to encourage people to use public transport. However, it now seems the governments policy is just to prevent people from travelling anywhere, regardless as to what mode of transport they use
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
But taxing the motorist to pay for what? Why is the motorist seen as a fair source of taxation? Surely income tax is fairer, so the poorest people aren't hit disproportionatly to the rich?

The only thing the motorists should be taxed for is to pay for upkeep of roads, creation of cycle lanes etc
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
I've signed too. Originally when they brought in these rolling duty rises it was part of an integrated transport policy, the idea being to encourage people to use public transport. However, it now seems the governments policy is just to prevent people from travelling anywhere, regardless as to what mode of transport they use
Exactly. The money being raised from motorists is going the same place the rest of our money is, smack'eds on the dole, war in Iraq, dodgy QUANGO's and re-decorating the Lord Chancellor's apartments..

If it was going on an efficient, high-speed rail network or subsidising a non-profit bus service I could pretty much justify it.
Rayq81

Its going to get much worse the succesive goverments of this country have continually shafted the motorist and in fact all transport users (higher train and bus fares etc) but the surprising thing about it is not how high it will go,its how far over we will bend before we break and i think most people in this country can be squeezed a bit more so lets all have a good old moan and bugger off down the petrol station to pay the inflated robbing greedy goverment some more duty

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Its going to get much worse the succesive goverments of this country have continually shafted the motorist and in fact all transport users (higher train and bus fares etc) but the surprising thing about it is not how high it will go,its how far over we will bend before we break and i think most people in this country can be squeezed a bit more so lets all have a good old moan and bugger off down the petrol station to pay the inflated robbing greedy goverment some more duty
Well said
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Rayq81,
perfectly thought out and posted,
Whilst driving in the pouring rain to day,I happened to see on the other side of the road, a queue of bedraggled cressfallen people awaiting the bus, No shelter provided,atleast half were I believe pensioners,very sad.

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with putting more tax on fuel, I think it's fairer than other forms of taxation for cars like increasing the road fund license. At least that way people who drive 30K a year (My girlfriend in her company car with a company fuel card) will be taxed more than people who drive 6K a year (Me who pootles to Huddersfield and back 5 days a week).

You would say this if your GF has a fuel card, she's not going to see any difference to what people pay is she, as she gets her fuel paid for! What a stupid comment to make about it being fair.
What about others that have to drive and pay for their own fuel just to make a living... That's hardly fair is it... All it's going to do is force more smaller companies to go out of business and make more people unemployed. You're one of the lucky ones that lives near to where you work. A lot of people can't do that...
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

The price of fuel is crazy and its only going to get worse.

The issue is that everytime a 1p is added to a litre thats 4.5p per gallon plus VAT.

Everytime the fuel companies add a1p they then have to add the VAT - the goverment plan for X amount of income from petrol probably at around 90P per litre so they are already increasing their revenue with increase in base fuel cost due to extra VAT, adding additional duty is not required as they are probably already exceeding what they had estimated fuel would earn per month.

The only fair system is to fix the duty at a set rate (45P per litre) then you have the cost of the fuel + VAT - around 92p per litre.

Its the contiual cost of the duty which hurts - 2p per litre means nearer 11p per gallon.

I have just come back from Chicago and put 15 gallons into a car for $45 - thats £22.50 uk price £70

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post

I have just come back from Chicago and put 15 gallons into a car for $45 - thats £22.50 uk price £70
and the yanks are up in arms about the price of fuel!

the biggest problem is all this BS about global warming being used as an excuse to tax the people to death. a few years ago governments were talking about global COOLING causing a new ice age! if you have read 1984 you will see the point i am making

The sooner the incompetent government is voted out the better, the only area of competence appears to be in Gordon Browns abilities to raise tax but what they do with it all who knows?

I have already emailed Cameron and pointed out how many car owning voters there are and got a reply going on about improving public transport so don't raise your hopes there either. Pity we can't have Angela Merkel as PM, she knows how to look after the motorist

ok rant over
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanista View Post
and the yanks are up in arms about the price of fuel!

the biggest problem is all this BS about global warming being used as an excuse to tax the people to death. a few years ago governments were talking about global COOLING causing a new ice age! if you have read 1984 you will see the point i am making
We are currently still in an ice age.

Quote:
The sooner the incompetent government is voted out the better, the only area of competence appears to be in Gordon Browns abilities to raise tax but what they do with it all who knows?
To be replaced with? The current 'New' Labour regime is just a centre-right led party, continuing the work of the centre-right parties of the previous 2 decades. If you vote tory, then you'll continue that status quo.
No matter who you vote for, the rich will win, and the poor will lose. The average man will continue to be stuffed in the pocket, taxed to high heaven, and reap no reward.

I
Quote:
have already emailed Cameron and pointed out how many car owning voters there are and got a reply going on about improving public transport so don't raise your hopes there either. Pity we can't have Angela Merkel as PM, she knows how to look after the motorist
Public transport funding is essential in order to keep this country from becoming gridlocked in uder 15 years.
We can't cope with the cars we currently have, and the number of them on the roads is increasing year on year.
The new regulations are going to give us bigger lorries (although not big enough to move that much more freight, they will cause much more road damage than they already do, and will provide a bigger hazard on our small roads)
Our towns are overcrowded and getting worse, flats are being built everywhere, and no extra thought given to parking or road congestion.

Governments have pandered to road use for half a century now, whilst neglecting public transport. Our governments have always sought the cheap, short term solution, and left the compicated, expensive stuff for another day. That day never came.

Many european countries have struck much more of a balance, with future-led views and beliefs regarding transport systems. They've not shyed away from spending money or investigating new research. They're now reaping the rewards, whilst we're seeing the benefit of 50years of negligent rule.

emgee

Quote:
the biggest problem is all this BS about global warming
Well, sorry, but it does appear to be a real phenomenon. There's no credible dispute about global warming or its causes any more.

Quote:

It's all here: Institute for Fiscal Studies: Fiscal Facts

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Moving slightly sideways on this one, the oil price is now around $88 a barrel. I bet the price on the forecourts for fuel doesn't drop..
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Moving slightly sideways on this one, the oil price is now around $88 a barrel. I bet the price on the forecourts for fuel doesn't drop..
And on the radio this morning Shell are about to announce record profits of 13.6 billion and the RAC are asking the goverment to not add the extra 2p per litre fuel duty hike planned fro March.

They should not be asking they should know that this is going to tip people over the edge.

I went abroad last year in March at petrol was 84p per litre by March this year it will be around £1.10 per litre - disgraceful is the only word that can be used to describe this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page