Gunther von hagens - what a guy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

emgee

Gunther von hagens - what a guy

Slicing up that fat cadaver on the Jamie Oliver programme last night, showing just what a lifetime of pie addiction leads to. Bringing anatomy to the masses, just like the public demonstrations in the old days. Marvellous stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Gunther von hagens - what a guy

Modern day Body Snatcher: Sectioned pieces showing constipation, and the effect on surrounding organs I found really fascinating.: I was eating my eggs, mushrooms, celeriac,etc. in a white sauce, whilst oggling the box.: Ghoulish, Huh?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

He's a little creepy.

Didn't see the programme, was he wearing his hat again? I wonder if he wears that same hat out and about after an autopsy, or if it's his special autopsy hat.
AO Platinum Member

Must admit, having been to Vogelsang, way back, noted for you know what? Gets my head buzzing a little, when I see that chap?
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

I'm a bit squeamish but forced myself to watch it. Gross but instructive and more than a little worrying.

I thought the whole programme was very well executed and an eye-opening slant on the food quality issues we have.
AO Platinum Member

I'm a compo canned food man, mesel': Don't suppose I'll be changing my eating, or any other habits now. Can't be bothered,and at the present time most things seem to be reasonably ok. Few little problems with the teeth, heart valve, respiratory functions, etc; just the clock ticking away, to three score years and ten, well a couple or so to go, and then we'll just wait and see?.: Eat more happiness, eject that gloom!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Those lungs are really smooze.
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
I thought the whole programme was very well executed and an eye-opening slant on the food quality issues we have.
So did I. Good, clear messages on hidden sugar and salt, that there's no need to panic, and that even a 10% weight loss is well worth having. And they're right, a diagnosis of diabetes will change your life, and not in a nice way.

The way that old guy's lungs had been squeezed out of play was astonishing. People tend to assume that a cardiovascular death is always a quick, clean, fall-over-and-it's-over kind of affair. That guy must have died by inches after years of terrible distress.

A couple of quibbles -

1. The stuff on BMI was very confusing and badly handled (and confusing it with cardiorespiratory fitness was a real mistake). And as for body fat content - if you need to go to a gym to have something measured forget it, people won't do that. They should have used waist measurement more, it's a better indicator than BMI.

2. I know it was a cookery programme , but there was no mention at all of the importance of physical activity for cardiovascular health. Easy enough to slip in "and walking for 30 minutes/day on most days will make a real difference").

3. What is it with nutritionists and antioxidants? The statement that "they stop our artieries furring up" is completely unsupported speculation. If it was that simple we could go down to Boots and stock up on the pills. Sadly, there is no good evidence that taking antioxidant vitamin pills is good for you, and quite good evidence that it is harmful.

4. There was a brief clip of a waist measurement being taken - completely wrongly. Git to do it right (it isn't hard) or it doesn't mean much.

Overall, though, a very good effort IMHO.

AO Platinum Member

Stay at home, in a three storey town house, three flights, three landings, and an exercise bench, for a bit of extra. Eat, drink, sleep, and some, in moderation, but stay Happy!
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

I thought it was brilliant. I don't eat much crap though. I've been very good. The gf is a veggie too so I don't eat that much meat.

Excellent week of programs.. been watching since it started last week.

Didn't watch last night, I get kind of squeemish at that sort of thing. But these series of programmes do make you think and I have made a couple of minor changes to my own regime. We had already been eating free range eggs for some time ( i get them cheaper than battery from a wee house down the road) so that was easy. now decided to go free range chicken and cut down total meat consumption.

Not huge changes, but ones that will make a difference. Might add a couple of quid a week to the shopping bill, but so what?
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

I bet he has a BMW. If you could see behind their 'privacy glass' they're probably all like that.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
1. The stuff on BMI was very confusing and badly handled (and confusing it with cardiorespiratory fitness was a real mistake). And as for body fat content - if you need to go to a gym to have something measured forget it, people won't do that. They should have used waist measurement more, it's a better indicator than BMI.
BMI really annoys me anyway. It should be abandoned as it makes absolutely no allowance for muscle.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Yup, interesting programme although the BMI thing is a waist of space (geddit?). The autopsy was much less boak-making than I expectedand the squeeze on the lung and heart cavity was astonishing.

Jamie's a pain though.

And why is this in the rant lounge?
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
BMI really annoys me anyway. It should be abandoned as it makes absolutely no allowance for muscle.
No, it has its uses, even if it is something of a a blunt instrument. It's widely used and understood. If your BMI is 27 and you're well muscled, that's one thing, but if it's 32 and you're not Geoff Capes, then you're a lardarse.

Waist measurement's better though. Diabetes UK have caught on to this (Measure Up - are you at risk of diabetes? - Diabetes UK) and you see their posters around quite often now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

And why is this in the rant lounge?
Dunno. Force of habit I guess. And I did expect more opposition. If any of the Thought Police want to move it, go for it.

Last edited by emgee; 17-01-08 at 15:41.

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
If any of the Thought Police want to move it, go for it.
Entirely tongue-in-cheek comment by me - honest
MPH
AO Silver Member

County: Nukunonu

I missed that programme but have watched many other autopsy's by Gunther and find them fascinating and very informative. I do think that he gets too much of a thrill from doing this though!
emgee

The one where he laid out some stiff's entire digestive system in a straight line was fantastic stuff.

I went to see his plastinates exhibition in London a few years back. marvesllous stuff, anatomy meets art.

I'd say it's his passion that makes the difference.

AO Platinum Member

Well guys, viewing on screen is pretty mild comparing it with the real thing in a mortuary, or embalming room. Three dimensional in the flesh, and that added component, aroma, and the eye stinging sensation of formaldehyde, can be something else!:
emgee

They should bring back the old system in hospitals - they're not called operating "theatres" for no reason.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page