Opt-out system for organ donation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

emgee

Opt-out system for organ donation

I refer to the proposed system where you will need to opt out rather than in when it comes to future consent for use of your organs after death. It's a no-brainer (NB you do come across the occasional individual who has apparently already donated this organ).

You don't need 'em anymore once you're Hovis, hand 'em over. People out there are desparate for your kidneys and corneas and whatnot, why send them up the Crem chimney? If you've a religious problem, fair enough, opt out.

We shouldn't let sqeamishness get in the way of this real medical need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Opt-out system for organ donation

I don't think its really quite as straight forward as that. There are religious, ethical and cultural considerations that need to be taken into account, although that is not to say I'm for or against the proposal, just that I think it needs more thought and debate.

For example, if I die should I have a say as to who my organs go to (I may not want to give my heart to some animal abusing chav)!
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

I have a doners card,
so hopefully after they cleared my wallet of the cash they will find it

Last edited by GTVDAD; 16-01-08 at 09:06.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Just hope mine last a few years longer, and doubt they will be that useful, as they have been clocking up the mileage since the forties.:

If they are of use, well, where I am possible going, take them if you so decide.:
AO Silver Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
You don't need 'em anymore once you're Hovis, hand 'em over. People out there are desparate for your kidneys and corneas and whatnot, why send them up the Crem chimney? If you've a religious problem, fair enough, opt out.
What He said.

Though I do Have a doner card

How to become a donor

Last edited by PC7671; 16-01-08 at 09:08. Reason: add link
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I think the system should remain as it is, but with a lot more publicity so that more people opt in.

The government already takes from you through your life, and even taxes you when you die. Now the goverment wants to allow the removal of your body parts when you croak. Is nothing sacred?

I am not religious, and would happily donate my organs to help someone, but this proposed system sucks, and I may opt out just as a matter of principal.
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC7671 View Post
Though I do Have a doner card

[/url]
Sorry, I can't resist it.

Is that the one that lets someone have your kebab after your death?

HSTDriver

I agree with the new proposed system. If you feel strongly against donation, because of religion or whatever, then opting out is easy enough.

I think you have to go with the majority, and in my experience, the majority of people are behind organ donation. Certainly in theory, even if they're currently not registered organ doners.

And whoever needs my organs after I'm gone is welcome to them, treat 'em how you want, because I'll be past caring......

Last edited by HSTDriver; 16-01-08 at 10:08.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I have a doners card,
so hopefully after they cleared my wallet of the cash they will find it
Hi,Dirk
" A sign of the times we live in.?"

I like you am a card carrier,
The whole issue of removing on assumed consent is ,or can be a minefield of litigation,
his/her "do not remove organs card" was in another garment etc.
and so on.People will always find away to exploit the financial side of things,"or am I just a cynic?"
Know I am A LUDDITE.
jOHN.

Last edited by ludite; 16-01-08 at 10:05. Reason: spelling again?
emgee

Actually, easy foir me to say all that, but I've just realised I'm not sure I can. I got a blood transfusion in hospital in 2003. I don't think I can give blood as a result, so I probably will take 'em all with me.

I haven't got BSE though. I don't have any satellite telly.

Doesn't stop you lot, though. Cough 'em up when you're done with 'em. Well, don't do that, but you know what I mean.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

They can take what the want from me!
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

I'm not normally in favour of systems which assume consent & require opting out rather than opting in.

However, in this case, I'm in favour. There does appear to be a severe shortage of organs for donation; no matter how much time & money are spent on publicity, the percentage of the population registering as organ donors will remain low.

I would guess that around 10% of the population would take, or has taken, the trouble to register, 10% would be violently opposed, while the remaining 80% is not bothered either way. An 'opt-out' system catches the 80%.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

I don't mind donating a kidney but that's about it. I not sure about donating lungs, eyes, heart, liver etc. etc. when I die. I'm not religious but who know where you end up once you go over to the other side!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

I doubt you'll go anywhere where they are needed!

I don't mind either option (opt in or opt out) but what I object to is when the deceased has given permission family members then kick up a stink over it, whats it got to do with them FFS if permission has been given prior?
AO Silver Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Sorry, I can't resist it.

Is that the one that lets someone have your kebab after your death?
I checked three times and still spelt it wrong.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I think the system should remain as it is, but with a lot more publicity so that more people opt in.
Totally agree. I hate the principle of inertia selling, especially when other avenues have not been considered. Where are the TV campaigns getting people to agree to donation? How about your doctor discussing it with you whenver you go in? I hope that this "proposal" is just a ruse to get some high profile discussion going.
mudhut

What about allowing an inheritance tax concession for donated organs?

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
Totally agree. I hate the principle of inertia selling, especially when other avenues have not been considered. Where are the TV campaigns getting people to agree to donation?

There have been TV and radio ad campaigns about donation, several over the years, in fact

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

At the moment, the state does not (quite) own us. And I'd like it to stay that way. This is a very dangerous road to go down. How about compulsory blood doning next? If you wish to donate, say so. If not the rest of us have no right to assume.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
What about allowing an inheritance tax concession for donated organs?
That's a mighty fine idea Like it a lot
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
At the moment, the state does not (quite) own us. And I'd like it to stay that way. This is a very dangerous road to go down. How about compulsory blood doning next? If you wish to donate, say so. If not the rest of us have no right to assume.
I have to agree with that

VO2Max

I don't mind donating my organs to save a life - so long as some idiot doesn't unscrew my head or other part of my body for 'medical research' without my prior consent. I believe it has happened before.

HSTDriver

Other than religion, I can't think of a single coherent argument why anyone would be worried about their organs after their death.

Now there are a lot of people who agree with donating (the majority, in fact) but who never get round to actually doing anything about.

The minority who don't agree with donating also tend to be most vocal in their opinion, and as such are more likely to throw their newspaper to their feet, get up in a huff and bally well go and opt out of the scheme immediately.

So in actual fact, the vast majority, under the new scheme, get exactly what they want.

And most importantly of all, if you or your partner, parent, or child, are ever in a car wreck or suchlike, and desperately need a transplant, there'll be more chance of the victim actually getting one, and not being left helplessly to die.

I think that's worth at least considering

HSTDriver

Just had another thought. If someone is vehemently against forced organ donation, and were then unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident that required them to have a donar implanted, how would they feel about that?

Would they accept it willingly, or would they show character and refuse?

Or if they were unconscious and the donar was given without their knowing, would they change their opinion upon being told of the event, perhaps opting back 'in' again?

Rayq81

And perhaps interfering in the natural order of nature is as evil as frankenstein ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page