Parking Attendants - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 58 Old 13-01-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Parking Attendants

Get this was going through town yesterday and my phone starts going, so i pull over in a safe convenient place in no ones way to answer my phone. two attendants come over to me telling me i cant park there and i'd have to move
"im not staying here im using my phone"
"I CAN BOOK YOU EVEN WHEN YOUR IN THE CAR MOVE IT NOW"

i mean wtf is all that about?! i cant use my phone whilst driving but cant pull over to use it either its a farce!

as you can imagine i quite politely told them both to stick there note pads up there arse, come down off the power trip and get a life
G5een is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Gary Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Wales
Posts: 16,710
Re: Parking Attendants

Were you on a red route or a no-stopping zone?
Gary Slegg is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,879
Re: Parking Attendants

Always worth giving parking attendents abuse when on foot, hopefully if you make their job enough of a misery they'll all quit. As a driver, I've never met a helpful or polite parking attendent, they all seem to have a God complex and deserve knocking down a peg or two.
Pud237 is online now  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Always worth giving parking attendents abuse when on foot, hopefully if you make their job enough of a misery they'll all quit.

Yeah that's a nice thing to do to someone who's just doing their job
 
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

Attachment 34665 Maybe this kind of thing puts people off Wardens

Last edited by Rayq81; 25-01-08 at 13:23.
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
x0ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 285

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Re: Parking Attendants

I something similar in London the other day.

Parked, got out and walked to ticket machine which was about 200 yards away in the next set of parking bays. Bought my ticket and when I got back to the car there was an attendant writing a ticket for my car.

When I tried to explain all I'd done was walk to the machine and back I got;

"I don't want to hear it, I'm not interested"

I just stuck my ticket on the windscreen, took a photo of it and she screamed off on her Moped in a huff.

Are they on commission or just a power trip?
x0ted is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,879
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Yeah that's a nice thing to do to someone who's just doing their job
The quote below is a good example of why when a parking attendent is around I default to 'rude' instead of my usual 'polite'. Tried being polite with them, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference they still look at you like you look at something distasteful that you've stepped in.

Although I did help one up once when a guy in Middlesbrough just walked up to him clocked him square in the nose for no apparent reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ted View Post
I something similar in London the other day.

Parked, got out and walked to ticket machine which was about 200 yards away in the next set of parking bays. Bought my ticket and when I got back to the car there was an attendant writing a ticket for my car.

When I tried to explain all I'd done was walk to the machine and back I got;

"I don't want to hear it, I'm not interested"

I just stuck my ticket on the windscreen, took a photo of it and she screamed off on her Moped in a huff.

Are they on commission or just a power trip?

Last edited by Pud237; 13-01-08 at 14:20. Reason: grammar
Pud237 is online now  
Status: Making Ron Jeremy look small !
AO Platinum Member
 
howell811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virgin Islands (British)
County: -
Posts: 26,529

Member car:

75

Re: Parking Attendants

Just do as your told and move it !!!!

There is a parking bay in a town near us. You can only park about five cars in it. At one end of the bay the sign says 'no parking Mon-Sat 9:00 - 6:00, at the other end the sign says 'no parking Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00 WTF

Five times I've been ticketed there on a Saturday, and had the ticket quashed every time !!! I've now written to the council threatening to sue for compensation over my time spent appealing to the tickets.
howell811 is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Gary Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Wales
Posts: 16,710
Re: Parking Attendants

To be honest, I don't really have a lot of sympathy for people who get tickets (I've been done a total of 3 times, and although there were mitigating circumstances, the fact is I was parking illegally). The main road where I live is often brought to a stand still by people parking by the Spar shop or post-office, when there's a free car park a few yards away that the lazy sods can't be bothered to park in.
Gary Slegg is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 58 Old 13-01-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
Were you on a red route or a no-stopping zone?
no it was down a one way street with cars parked either side of the road with enough space to fit a truck through. the thing is i was 6ft away from the designated spaces but because there was no dotted white line and a yellow one im not allowed to have a 1min phonecall there.

i'll try get a picture to show how pathetic it really was.

i dont know if these people were abused as a child or got bullied in school but if theyve got some pent up aggression go see a shrink or something dont take it out on me.
G5een is offline  
Spacecadet
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

I was under the impression you had 30 mins grace on single yellows, as you can officially be loading.
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Gary Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Wales
Posts: 16,710
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
I was under the impression you had 30 mins grace on single yellows, as you can officially be loading.
Yeah, but you do actually have to be loading or unloading.
Gary Slegg is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
The quote below is a good example of why when a parking attendent is around I default to 'rude' instead of my usual 'polite'. Tried being polite with them, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference they still look at you like you look at something distasteful that you've stepped in.

Although I did help one up once when a guy in Middlesbrough just walked up to him clocked him square in the nose for no apparent reason.
I work in an industry where getting abuse from ignorant people is a regular occurance. It doesn't make you want to quit, or even upset you, it just makes you very aware that many people among the general public are caught up in their own self importance, and are capable of acting like extreme [censored] when they want to.

In my opinion, openly abusing a traffic warden will just make them feel more justified in their ticketing and less likely to listen to a member of the public who has made a genuine mistake with their parking/timekeeping.

There are good people and bad people out there, but if you see enough of the bad 'uns, you start to think they're all like that, and stop caring about the good 'uns.
 
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 207
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Always worth giving parking attendents abuse when on foot,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Yeah that's a nice thing to do to someone who's just doing their job
Give em everything you got i say. Ive no time for them. At the end of the day they go out there to get x amount of tickets to meet targets and 'do' people over the most trivial things, which i think is wrong. If they didnt abuse the job like they do people may have a better rapport with them.

Get a proper job is what i say instead of targeting the motorist.

*2p deposited*
r111yun is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by r111yun View Post
Get a proper job is what i say instead of targeting the motorist.

Park properly and you'll not be 'targeted'
 
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 207
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Park properly and you'll not be 'targeted'
Hit a nerve there have i?
r111yun is offline  
EddieGTA
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

Park badly and you deserve it. This thread was about someone in a uniform getting power crazy when someone stops in a sensible place rather than answer the phone while driving.

Act like that as a traffic warden and you have to expect abuse. I would love to be in a position where I get abuse from some stranger I choose to pick on, rather than the bunch of c***s I work with and have to see every day. Hence applying for 3 jobs tonight... none traffic warden though
 
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by r111yun View Post
Hit a nerve there have i?
Not at all, except as I said earlier, I'm in an industry where people think it their god given right to hurl abuse, shout, scream, swear and even spit at you, for no reason other than their own ignorance. I just smile sweetly and call them a [censored] (sometimes under my breath, sometimes a wee bit louder)
Except for the ones that spit, that is. I'll happily drag them off to the transport police and let them be dealt with there.

Back on subject, nobody likes getting a parking ticket, but ultimately, the fella is just doing his [censored] job. Would you like it if someone came up to you at work and spat at you because they didn't like what you'd done? Even if it was them who were 100% in the wrong?

Like I said, keep abusing the traffic wardens, and they'll just keep on dishing the tickets out, and they'll be even less likely to listen to anyones story. In fact, they'll probably enjoy dishing the ticket a little bit more, because no matter what names you call him, you're the one with the fine to pay.
 
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 207
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
Park badly and you deserve it.
I agree but that's not always the case is it. I've known and read people getting tickets for being minutes over on a meter. But we are drifting now from the original post.
r111yun is offline  
Status: bacon
AO Platinum Member
 
ACAPULCO AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 29,280
Re: Parking Attendants

what's the point in abusing traffic wardens? they're all nigerian so won't understand a word you say anyway

on a more serious note, most of them have bonuses and targets built into their pay packages so it's in their interest to dish out as many tickets as possible regardless of whether the victim deserves it or not. i fully support wardens who ticket people who park in disabled bays without a permit, or if they're blocking traffic etc but most of them are, unfortunately, officious little ****s who were too thick to get into the police

on a few occasions they have even done our road at 7.30am ON A SUNDAY MORNING to ticket the 2 or 3 cars who park on the pavement outside their houses. they only park on the pavement because they'd completely block the road if they parked on it! the pavement is about 10 feet wide so there is plenty of space to push prams etc past even with a big car parked on it this proves that they do it purely to raise money - the cars aren't affecting anybody, 7.30am in the suburbs on a sunday is like a graveyard, and the wardens know everybody is tucked up in bed so they won't get any abuse. horrible vermin

- Keepin' it moist -

Last edited by ACAPULCO AL; 13-01-08 at 22:26.
ACAPULCO AL is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
SPPalfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Newport
Posts: 16,125
Re: Parking Attendants

I'm afraid these guys are full of their own importance.

The problem is that they must meet their quota's - this has to be illegal.

I watched a program the other day and the baliffs were driving around London clamping cars that had failed to pay parking tickets.

The one poor sod was two minutes over and there was the traffic warden waiting to write out the ticket - a second example was a guy that had been clamped and was in the process of paying his outstanding fines when along came a little hitler and tried to give him another ticket even though the bailiffs were still taking the clamps off.

These people need to exersize a little bit of common sense.

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
SPPalfa is offline  
emgee
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking Attendants

How would Pud feel if someone gave him abuse out of the blue because the guy on the next desk or whatever had upset him in some way, so all of them were apparently fair game for abuse? I'm with HST on this one, it's simply out of order to insult someone just because of the job they do.

And it's a necessary job, as it seems the roads are full of special cases who don't seem to think the rules apply to them. For example, why does someone have the God-given right to park on a yellow line to answer a phone? Get a hands-free, or let it go to voicemail if there's nowhere legal to park. Should think yourself lucky you're not getting a ticket straight away off a CCTV record. Assuming you're not, of course.
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 591
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
I'm in an industry where people think it their god given right to hurl abuse, shout, scream, swear and even spit at you,
You've said this before Mr Driver - is that true? As a rail user I find that appalling. It's not as if the driver sets the signals to red to spite the passengers.
Alfie155 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,879
Re: Parking Attendants

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
How would Pud feel if someone gave him abuse out of the blue because the guy on the next desk or whatever had upset him in some way, so all of them were apparently fair game for abuse? I'm with HST on this one, it's simply out of order to insult someone just because of the job they do.
Thats the point - I've NEVER had a parking attendent not be rude/insulting/talk to me like a child. Even before I decided to change to 'rude mode', when I was a softly spoken 17 year old driving my mam's Corsa, I never got a single please or thank you off a parking attendent. "Move your vehicle or I shall write you a ticket" was the least rude phrase I ever got out of any of them . Opening with a threat doesn't strike me as the best way to handle a situation. "Move your vehicle please, you are parked illegally" would have elicited a much better response.

But no, not even a please, once, off any parking attendent. It costs nothing to be polite and I'm sure if they were polite they wouldn't be in the situation they are today, where most of the public hate their guts and they have the worst reputation of any job.

Unfortunately the police force are heading that way is well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie155 View Post
You've said this before Mr Driver - is that true? As a rail user I find that appalling. It's not as if the driver sets the signals to red to spite the passengers.
I can't say I've ever spoken to a train driver, but I'd imagine the majority of train drivers aren't automatically rude to the passengers they happen to talk to, because that is the case with parking attendents and why they get so much abuse and are the target of so much hate.

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171
Pud237 is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
mojo_jojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 912

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Re: Parking Attendants

It'll be worse soon as there's a law coming in where you don't get a ticket on the windscreen but they just post it to you instead! I'll see if I can find the details.
mojo_jojo is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome