Health and Safety Madness - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 49 Old 12-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Black 159

Madness Health and Safety Madness

What is this country coming to,bl00dy H&S.BBC NEWS | England | Tees | Cliff hero resigns in safety row
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Health and Safety Madness

i know, i read that too.

i think that his bosses should say 'look, you know how stupid the rules are here about what you can and can't do. We know you're a hero worthy of the name, so let's just say that this time you used your experience and judgement to ignore the rules in order to do the right thing, and that was saving her life. Now, he's a bottle of Champagne for being such a brilliant example and a true hero; we're proud of you mate.'

I feel so sorry for the rescuer that resigned. He did the right thing saving that girl, using his experience and judgement, as much as his human instinct. For once, can't the Political Police acknowledge when a great deed has been done, rather than castigate someone for bending a rule? Especially when it means a life was saved. Yes, he broke a poxy rule, but FFS let's see the big picture. And let's reward and respect him for it, rather than criticise him for it. The alternative scenario is: "Well done. You obeyed the rules. T'is a pity the lass died, but you're to be praised for respecting that saving her would have broken a rule. And we just can't have that. Remember, no life that can be saved is worth breaking a rule for!"

I loath that mentality, I really do.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
(Post Link) post #3 of 49 Old 12-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Black 159

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Rayq81

Have to agree with you guys this is so wrong

AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

The guy who saved the girl deserves a medal

The clowns making a fuss about it deserve to be thrown over the cliff

Sure they don't need dead heroes, but they don't need a dead girl either..............F*ckin Morons wouldn't have a brain between them
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
i know, i read that too.

i think that his bosses should say 'look, you know how stupid the rules are here about what you can and can't do. We know you're a hero worthy of the name, so let's just say that this time you used your experience and judgement to ignore the rules in order to do the right thing, and that was saving her life. Now, he's a bottle of Champagne for being such a brilliant example and a true hero; we're proud of you mate.'

I feel so sorry for the rescuer that resigned. He did the right thing saving that girl, using his experience and judgement, as much as his human instinct. For once, can't the Political Police acknowledge when a great deed has been done, rather than castigate someone for bending a rule? Especially when it means a life was saved. Yes, he broke a poxy rule, but FFS let's see the big picture. And let's reward and respect him for it, rather than criticise him for it. The alternative scenario is: "Well done. You obeyed the rules. T'is a pity the lass died, but you're to be praised for respecting that saving her would have broken a rule. And we just can't have that. Remember, no life that can be saved is worth breaking a rule for!"

g
I'm not going to attempt to do better than that at explaining how I feel.

Nail, hammer, head, as usual g
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Jobsworths
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

this chap should receive the george medal and his bosses should be thrown off a cliff so he can say "i'd love to save you boss, but i have to go and fill out some health & safety forms first"

nanny state rubbish i blame american lawyers personally, inventing the compensation culture which terrifies businesses and organisations the length and breadth of britain into having to have absurdly rigid polices on safety. greedy, slippery, horrible lawyers
mudhut

Good chap. Agree with all above.

BUT

Has anybody actually stated that if he had followed the "proper procedure" the girl would most likely not have been saved?

Just asking, that's all.

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Health & safety is obviously beneficial to us all but like said before its taken too far by jobsworths !! recently during high risk seminar in my area police marksman were not allowed on rooftops due to risk of falling off ! terrorists take note hide in dangerous places and you wont get found
happy man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
i know, i read that too.

g
g can't add anything to that

I earn my living as a Health and Safey manager but not the jobs worth type who hides behind a computer screen and piles of paperwork and Legislation.

There are times and places that a blind eye should be turned to the rules and this was one of them.

It's fools like this blokes bosses that make any one involved in H&S look like complete jobsworths

I'd have shook his hand give him a bonus and the respect he was due for saving a life

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro65 View Post
Health & safety is obviously beneficial to us all but like said before its taken too far by jobsworths !! recently during high risk seminar in my area police marksman were not allowed on rooftops due to risk of falling off ! terrorists take note hide in dangerous places and you wont get found
What were they training to use ?? speedguns??

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

yeh probably foam bullets for extra safety
AO Silver Member

the emergency services are paid to put our lives before their own, or at least thats how it should be and how it used to be. now the police do a bloody risk assessment before setting foot outside the police station what next the army saying it cant fight as its too dangerous because people might shoot at them. those 2 cowardly plastic plod who stood and watched a child drown rather than risk going into a pond because they hadnt been trained for it were praised for following the rules they should be very very ashamed and be stripped of the uniform. this country has gone mad.
VO2Max

Every post a gem chaps, especially g, Al and HM.

I feel really sorry for the guy, apparently he'd been a volunteer Coastguard for many years, then it ends like this. He must be truly appalled to feel he has to leave like that. What a shocking shame.

but realistically for the life guard agency it better if he sticks the rule book to minimise any risks. i mean think of the money they have ploughed into that guy in training etc just for him to be a hero try rescuing someone but killing himself in the process. think of the hassle because of his death money being spent training a new coastguard etc. so in their point of view its quite unacceptable behavior.

fair play to him though he did the right thing not playing by the book.
HSTDriver

We're all to blame for this change in our society though. Remember, where there's blame, there's a claim

It started with coffee cups carrying the warning 'Contents May Be Hot'

And now it's come to someone ending up resigning from a job which he obviously loves because of stupid, petty beurocracy

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
There are times and places that a blind eye should be turned to the rules and this was one of them.

Couldn't agree more! The MCA statement on this incident says:

'As such we ask our volunteers to risk assess the situations they and the injured or distressed person find themselves in, and to ensure that whatever action they take does not put anyone in further danger.'

Isn't that exactly what he did?

I spend most (or so it seems!) of my weekends marshalling at motor race meetings. As an Incident Officer I am responsible for a team of incident marshals - the folks who get out there & deal with incidents. In my briefing I always stress that their safety is their first priority & that I'm not asking them to do anything they are not completely happy with. I've had a few occasions where people have refused to do something I would have had no qualms about, conversely I've had people deal safely with something I'd rather have left or waited for a red flag; in all theses cases I've been satisfied that the individual has assessed the risk & made what was, for him/her, the correct decision.

It all comes down to people being prepared to take responsibility for their own actions.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I remmember a few months back when a couple of PCSO (Pretend plod) decided not to go into a local pond or something similar to rescue a kid that was drowning.

they got slagged off something terrible cos the kid died - again they quoted H&S regs as the reason.

For gods sake its someones life - stuff H&S regs - If you can save a life you deserve to be saluted not chastised.

Some people in this country need to get a grip - if he had said no I'm not going to save her cos of H&S - he would have been torn apart in the press.

Cant win either way

Last edited by SPPalfa; 14-01-08 at 14:40.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
if he had said no I'm not going to save her cos of H&S - he would have been torn apart in the press.
It s been done already - remember the plastic plods who stood back and watched whilst a lad drowned in a lake?
Pathetic jobsworths will be the downfall of this country.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie155 View Post
It s been done already - remember the plastic plods who stood back and watched whilst a lad drowned in a lake?
Pathetic jobsworths will be the downfall of this country.
First sentance in my post above states this - country is going to teh dogs.

To many H&S police - Too much PC - To many liberals

Let's just remember that in teh case where the kids drowned in the lake, they had already disappeared from view when the support officers arrived. They had no way to know just where they were in all that murky brown water and no realistic chance of saving them.

I'm sure this guy's case could have been handled better, though we don't know from the report just how much "hassle" he had. But wjatever the facts of his case, these people should not be expected to put their lives at risk, or be slagged off when they don't. They're not Spiderman for Christ's sake.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
But wjatever the facts of his case, these people should not be expected to put their lives at risk, or be slagged off when they don't.
But, surely, they shouldn't be punished/hassled when they do, especially if, like in this case, it all worked out for the benefit of everyone?
emgee

Pud, as I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
I'm sure this guy's case could have been handled better.
We should also remember that the service that employs them has a responsibility of care over their employees. And that's a good thing.

AO Platinum Member

Yes but if he tried to save the girl and everyone died - then they could not hand out the b-----king.

No common sense - the guy was in the right, if he had an accident and was injured then his employer would refuse to pay him while off work.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page