Is overtaking now a crime? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 11-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Hmmm Is overtaking now a crime?

I overtook a car this morning on the way to work, he/she was travelling at 40mph on a 60mph stretch of road, and on completing the manouvre the other driver gave me a blast of main beam lights. This has happened to me several times now. I am always very careful overtaking, especially when it comes to picking my moment, so the manouvre was not dangerous.

Is it just a case of these people not liking the fact they have been overtaken? If so they shouldn't dawdle along in a world of their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

Re: Is overtaking now a crime?

I agree - I was stuck behind a car 60km/h in a 100km/h zone, so as soon as it was safe and legal I pulled out and overtook without a fuss, and I got a blast of the horn and mouthed words.

Just ignore them. Its their fault. I have no problem with people who drive a bit slower so they are comfortable and feel in control, but 40% slower than the limit is just as dangerous as 40% above it.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Odd behaviour by the other driver...
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Yea, I've noticed this too. I think its partly because of the sort of car overtaking them - if you were driving a Fiesta they probably wouldn't care . . .
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Madness Re: Is overtaking now a crime?

Yes. It's now the biggest crime going. People you are overtaking speed up, people coming towards you start flashing even though they are half a mile away and on a country road people drive nose to tail behind a tractor tutting and clucking but with no intention of overtaking. Pathetic!
Graham P

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
Yes. It's now the biggest crime going. People you are overtaking speed up, people coming towards you start flashing even though they are half a mile away and on a country road people drive nose to tail behind a tractor tutting and clucking but with no intention of overtaking. Pathetic!
That is all so true

We just live in a very angry, bitter and jealous world now unfortunately. I seriously think the people that flash and blast their horn at you when you have overtaken them are jealous that your car can pick up such speeds

I very recently tried to overtake a fella who has his crazy dog on the parcel shelf staring at me. He moved over to stop me from overtaking. I had to slam my brakes on. I blasted my horn in case he hadn't seen me. He then stopped his car and got out, he was in his probably early 60's with his wife in the car. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He then rolled his sleeves up ready for a fight! By this stage I must admit I was laughing as I couldn't believe the anger my attempted overtaking had caused. I asked him what he's up to and he ranted 'you were tyring to overtake me'. I kindly explained to him that's what the second lane is for and to get back in his car and erm....bog off. I was very calm to be honest. Must be my age...a few years ago I'd have probably smashed his face in

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Brake test the eejits
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

there's some bizarre people out there. i've been flashed occasionally having overtaken on the kind of open straight that your granny wouldn't hesitate to overtake on. there was a column in evo or top gear recently questioning whether or not it has now become "an atrocity to want (or need) to travel faster than the person in front of you?". it hit the nail on the head, we've become a nation obsessed with queueing and obeying the myriad of rules and regulations thrust upon us by the government, so much so that you're deemed a madman by the rover 400 brigade for not wanting to spend your entire day behind them at 40mph

i have also nearly been killed by some idiot who tried to run me off the road because i had the insolence to overtake him doing 40mph on a 60mph road. the road was clear, a half mile downhill straight, no oncoming traffic, i hadn't been tailgating him... ended up having an argument with him at the lights and nearly punched him, i was absolutely furious. i don't normally get involved in road rage but when somebody deliberately tries to run you off the road it's different. had i had my young daughter in the car at the time then i would've knocked him senseless, that's for sure

- Keepin' it moist -
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

This happens most of the time in my experience. I really think it's part of the culture we've got into of 'speed kills' so people assume that anyone driving faster than them, even if it's safe, is a lunatic. I overtook a minibus yesterday that was dawdling along at 25 in a 40 limit, and got the inevitable flash of the lights.

I can't say I've ever reacted to anyone overtaking me, although might have mouthed '[email protected]' to myself when it was some lad in a Corsa doing about 90 in a 60 zone.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Brake test the eejits
Don't!

I simply thank them for letting me in giving the flasher the impression that I misinterpreted the abuse as helpfulness. This often neutralises a situation as they feel they got thanks for something they weren’t expecting.

Win, win eh?
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Strange this, in 2008: I'm sure competent drivers,like yourselves, who are not impatient, or full of road rage, are able to exercise a safe overtaking manoeuvre,in a controlled fashion.: Interesting, because way back, loads of road signs in appropriate places read:-Overtakers=Undertakers! I see a lot of drivers who still overtake on blind bends.: I drive according to speed restrictions, always. Apologies if this offends some.:
Dibby

I've found the opposite - last night on the way home through the industrial estate drag-strip, following a Pug 307 doing 25mph. I edged out to see if the road was clear to overtake, he indictaed, pulled in to a layby, let me past and pulled out again behind me. This has happened a couple of times through the same industrial estate.

Had to put my hand up to say thanks and drove on thinking "What a decent chap". If only more people (esp. caravans & tractors) realised they were holding people up and let traffic past.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
That is all so true

We just live in a very angry, bitter and jealous world now unfortunately. I seriously think the people that flash and blast their horn at you when you have overtaken them are jealous that your car can pick up such speeds.
True indeed. We have Porche and Aston Martin garages in the next village and I have to confess that I can get slight pangs of resentment if I get overtaken by them when I'm in a bad mood. Of course, I never do anything about it, but I'm quickly calmed by thoughts of one of my favourite sports.

And what sport is that?

Well, when I'm out on the motorbike and I come across one of the blessed on a test drive, I'll follow them a bit before showing them what real performance is about at a fiftyth of the cost. (In a safe, considered manor, naturally).

I know, I'm a bad person, but it feels sooooo good!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

I suppose my outdated recollections of two wheeled occurrences, and having been a blue-light, stretcher case on one occasion, made me have a re-think about my riding, driving, habits and skill, or lack of the latter.

Guy just whacked me in the side, said he hadn't seen me coming: My girlfriend who was pillion, had pins inserted, and a full cast, from ankle to groin.: really do need that 67 Ton Conqueror for self preservation, and a bit of respect, on todays roads!
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Yes.

Right has become wrong.

Pomeo
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

I overtook some numpty doing 25 in a 40 yesterday. What did I receive for this? Well to my amazement the guy I over took had both hands off the steering wheel applauding me and mouthing various words?

I gave him a thumbs up out the window. He didn't like that though.

I was also had a fantastic arguement at some cross roads the other day.

2 Lanes of traffic going straight over into a road that narrowed to one lane. Cars parked on the kerb in that road making it a bit tight. No worries though, we are all nice people and give way and let traffic filter in. I was in the left hand lane of traffic. As we pulled away I noticed mondeo man was sitting right on the ass of the car in front of him. I'm slowly attempting to filter in (we are doing no more than 15-20MPH) Everyone has filtered in nicely... you know 1 car from this lane, one car from that lane...

Anyway he wasn't going to let me in so I slowed down as the parked car was coming up on the passenger side. As I slow down, so does mondeo man... Why? I have no idea. I have to stopped to let him past, he stops too. For no good reason either, as he had a ton of room to get by. So I'm level with his missus who is looking very angry???? WTF. I just flew my arms forward telling him to go and stop pishing about as I was already annoyed. So he drives off.

about a mile down the road I happen to pull along side him at another set of lights. Only this time I intend to turn right. He couldnt see this probably so thinks I want some kind of race...

Anyway, I do the classic wind down the window and say excuse me, what was that all about. Do you actually have a driving licence. Which probably wasn't the best thing to say. I said why couldnt you just let me filter in like everyone else was? " I don't have to f**king let you in!"...me: "No you don't but if you had any road manners you would" MM: "Don't you talk to me about how to drive.."

At this point hell brakes loose as my missus completely loose her cool. She hadn't said a word until she leans out the window and screams "Shut up, you stupid F**kCu*t!!!!"

He gets all shocked/angry and opens the door of his car to get out. Just as the lights turn green and I drive casually away. I noticed him get back in and come after me... Don't think so Mondeo Man...

Had a good laugh about it afterwards...

Having a firey Italian in the car has advantages and disadvantages.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

So much traffic, white lines and hatched areas nowadays that a lot of people do think overtaking is wrong. Wouldn't mind betting there are plenty of people who have never overtaken another moving car on a single carriageway road.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lusso View Post
I simply thank them for letting me in giving the flasher the impression that I misinterpreted the abuse as helpfulness. This often neutralises a situation as they feel they got thanks for something they weren’t expecting.

Win, win eh?
So true.

I thank people all the time, whether they deserve it or not.

I also make a special point of thanking people who get out of the way (especially when on the bike), it definitely pays dividends, particularly amongst the locals.
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post
So much traffic, white lines and hatched areas nowadays that a lot of people do think overtaking is wrong. Wouldn't mind betting there are plenty of people who have never overtaken another moving car on a single carriageway road.
How right you are Quad.
Possibly time to bring back the birch...No thats a different rant.

The good old 3 lane single cariageway .Werent caller the killer roads for no reason at all.

Pomeo

I quite agree, I overtook a pensioner in a micra the other day who had become so confused / disconcerted they went slower and slower and eventually just stopped on the road (!) and I was flahshed by a guy coming the other way, even though he was about 1/2 mile away and the whole manoevre took about 2 seconds.

BUT, choose your moment / location. I live in the country and I still see people overtaking on blind bends and blind brows all the time, or cutting blind corners.

And I would say that I have flashed people a couple of times who have overtaken me if they were tailgaiting me for the previous 10 mins one foot from my bumper at 60mph. If there's one thing more annoying than slow driving, it's tailgaiting.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I overtook a car this morning on the way to work, he/she was travelling at 40mph on a 60mph stretch of road, and on completing the manouvre the other driver gave me a blast of main beam lights. This has happened to me several times now. I am always very careful overtaking, especially when it comes to picking my moment, so the manouvre was not dangerous.

Is it just a case of these people not liking the fact they have been overtaken? If so they shouldn't dawdle along in a world of their own.
I've had similar things, one of my pet hates is when people have no intention of overtaking the car infront, but drive up its rear so you're forced to overtake both at the same time
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post
Wouldn't mind betting there are plenty of people who have never overtaken another moving car on a single carriageway road.
Absolutely true. I was talking to a new driver about this. They said they didn't learn overtaking in their driving lessons, they pretty much did all their driving in an urban environment and were in a small low powered car so there was simply no "requirement" to overtake.
Dibby

I heard in some country (forget where, cetrainly not in Britain - it would make far too much sense) if you're holding up a line of more than 5 cars you have to pull over and let them by or face a ticket if you're spotted?

IMO horse boxes, JCBs, caravans, artic turcks etc shouldn't be allowed to trundle hundreds of miles along single carriageway roads gathering a backlog of timid drivers too afraid to overtake.

emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran156 View Post
If there's one thing more annoying than slow driving, it's tailgaiting.
Yes indeed. I don't crawl along as a rule, and I won't be bullied into driving faster than I want to.

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
At this point hell brakes loose as my missus completely loose her cool. She hadn't said a word until she leans out the window and screams "Shut up, you stupid F**kCu*t!!!!"

He gets all shocked/angry and opens the door of his car to get out. Just as the lights turn green and I drive casually away. I noticed him get back in and come after me... Don't think so Mondeo Man...

Had a good laugh about it afterwards...

Having a firey Italian in the car has advantages and disadvantages.

Your missus rocks!

These are the sort of people that think they are the safest driver on the road, and will flash you for overtaking them when they are doing 40 in 60 zone. They will then carry on driving at 40 when the road changes to a built up area with a 30 limit, I see this all the time around where I live.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page