Train season ticket price - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

EddieGTA

Train season ticket price

So when I started working in London in 2002 it cost about £100 per month, there had been various increases but last year it got hiked up by about 15% and was costing £149.40p.

I complained and apparently they had not increased with inflation for some time yeah right!

Well today after Christmas I renew my ticket and find it now costs me £161.30p!!!!

Wish I could demand increases like this!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Re: Train season ticket price

8% what zones? Mine went up £5 to £110, 3 zones, which is about 4%
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooster View Post
8% what zones? Mine went up £5 to £110, 3 zones, which is about 4%
I live just outside zone 6 so all zones and an extra stop. Wouldn't be so bad, but for the 15% hike less than a year ago. Bloody daylight robbery. Almost cheaper to drive in!!!

AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

oh yeah, Dartford, doh
what gets my goat is that i don't mind paying more for a better service but we pay extra to keep the rail company shareholders happy plus we all pay again via taxes for subsidies to the rail companies from the govt. - ridiculous! Bring back British Rail, all is forgiven
EddieGTA

yup all about profit, and frigging the timetables so the trains appear to be on time.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Havn't caught a train for about 20 years.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post
Havn't caught a train for about 20 years.
Many people haven't, but still see fit to slag them off

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I found out why railtrack is soo bad the other day.

My old boss is running it He was being interviewed on t.v.

Worked for a large PLC company (he was a board memeber) that was bought out before it went through.

Jobs for the boys, always called him 'nice but dim'
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post
I found out why railtrack is soo bad the other day.

My old boss is running it He was being interviewed on t.v.

Worked for a large PLC company (he was a board memeber) that was bought out before it went through.

Jobs for the boys, always called him 'nice but dim'
He must be dim if he's running Railtrack, they went under in 2002

EddieGTA

Quote:
Six years of London commuting I will have you know, I have heard every excuse under the sun . And my bloody train has been late the last two days, still atleast that was on the way to work and not coming home

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
Six years of London commuting I will have you know, I have heard every excuse under the sun . And my bloody train has been late the last two days, still atleast that was on the way to work and not coming home
I know you commute, the comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just the British public in general who see the railway as easy target number 1.

Remember that while I'm a driver whilst I'm at work, I'm a commuter too on my way to and from work, i know how frustrating it can be, but I also see the flip side of the coin, when things go wrong that are 100% out of our hands.

Bridge strike is a good example, some twonk doesn't know how high his lorry is, and hits a bridge with it, we then have to stop all running until the bridge can be inspected, thanks to H&S regulations.
Who then gets the blame for the delay from joe public?

Not the lorry driver, not the health and safety people, but the railways

And personally I don't give a flying [censored] how late a train is, that's no excuse to scream, swear, fight and (worst of all) spit at railway staff who are just doing their job, but that's exactly what some people do.
Posh businessmen in suits, families going away for the weekend, even elderly women doddering about with a walking stick all think they have the right to treat railstaff like something off the bottom of their shoe.

So that's why I sometimes react quite curtly when people want to slag off the railways.

EddieGTA

Hey no worries HST, wasn't a dig at you either I know you are at the sharp end. And for the record I am not a twonk in suit .

And yes it is true the biggest ****s on the railways are the passengers, well some anyway!

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
He must be dim if he's running Railtrack, they went under in 2002
Well......o.k....... What ever the rail company is called.....

Network Rail ? is this one right ?

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Yep, just looked on their website, he's Director for Operations and Customer Services
AO Member

Member car:

Spider S4

I am infrequent user of public transport in the UK. My reasons for this are that public transport is very expensive in the UK, overcrowded and in a lot of instances, dirty. However recent use of the rail network has shown that there are some changes. The main line stations seem to have been cleaned up and appear brighter. The trains seem cleaner and all the ones I have travelled on in the last year were on time and reasonably clean. That said they are still overcrowded and expensive. I wholeheartedly agree that being rude and aggressive to rail employees is not on. This does work both ways, when asking about a train to be told 'look at the bloody board mate' does not inspire confidence. There is still a long way to go in improving public transport in the Uk. It is essential that funding and profit are used responsibly to improve the service and not just line shareholders coffers. Unfortunately the attitude seems to be stuff the customer and put the prices up as the customer has no choice, and as always we just seem to grin and bear it! Bottom line is don't hold your breath on this one!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I must be alone, or lucky, in being quite happy with the trains. That said, I only go from home to Waterloo and back again probably once every three weeks, so it's not like a daily commute. The train is usually on time, usually clean and rush hour aside, I can usually get a seat.

And, probably because I'm always the driver, I like using the train as I can switch my brain off for 40mins and let someone else get on with it.

Again, maybe this isn't a typical scenario. But I've not immediate reason to complain about the service.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

GT JTD

I spent 6 years in Japan. Though overcrowded, with some trains operating at 200% capacity during peak times, the train services there were IMHO the best in the world. Consistently punctual, super clean, technically advanced, and the staff were always helpful and visibly hard working.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
I must be alone, or lucky, in being quite happy with the trains. That said, I only go from home to Waterloo and back again probably once every three weeks, so it's not like a daily commute. The train is usually on time, usually clean and rush hour aside, I can usually get a seat.

And, probably because I'm always the driver, I like using the train as I can switch my brain off for 40mins and let someone else get on with it.

Again, maybe this isn't a typical scenario. But I've not immediate reason to complain about the service.

g
That is a major benefit of the trains that is forgotten, I will admit. After winter problems in the first year of working in London come the next winter I tried driving into work. It was the most stressfull thing you can think of! If working late/starting early I will drive in as I can actually do the journey in about 40 minutes, rush hour though you are looking at about 1 hr 30 mins with some crazy ass drivers on the road.

On the train you can atleast read a book and fall asleep, which is fine until you are woken by the beep beep beep of the doors shutting as the train is about to pull out of your station

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page