The stupid Windows 10 laptop...... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

8Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

The stupid Windows 10 laptop......

......or operator.....

.......It's broke again. The mousepad after the latest update does not work, again.

I don't use the thing but its ended up on my lap, again.

So, I logged on for the first time in ages and it won't even boot up, even after I had put it on charge, again.

"What have you done to it dearest"..."Nothing, it was like that when I turned it on"

It will get sorted soon, again, but probably when someone's breaks the other gadgets and I have to.

Last edited by Verbout; 07-08-16 at 15:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

I am steadfastly refusing to upgrade from Windows 7.

My son has swinedows 10 on his very basic pc, and he shouts me over to come and sort some driver issue out at least once a week.

and next year, you will have to pay for it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 33 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I've put the laptop in its case and put it in the office cupboard with some Neodymium magnets. (No I haven't) I suggest you do the same, sort that out people.

Stuff it.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

+1 Cortana was starting to affect my self esteem. However it seems she is not very intelligent because she let me turn her off... People say I'm paranoid but I think she is still listening...
(Post Link) post #5 of 33 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

You can bet any amount of money that in the near future the Googles and Microsofts of this world will be caught out still listening to people when these app had been disabled by the users.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I dread buying a a new laptop, theyll all come with windows 10 installed... I reverted back to 7 in less than 15 minutes of use... 10 is pathetically awful
zulu ferret likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Red chariot

too late for a free upgrade my laptop told me that the offer has expired. Happy with that.

However, in the office we got new desktops this week and they are with W10 of course. Have to say I can't say bad things at the moment, but at the same time I don't think I did bad by keeping my laptop on W7.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Windows 10 has been nothing but excellent on my Surface Pro 3, gaming PC, work laptop and HTPC. These were all "clean" installs though, it does seem that the majority of people having issues are those who've performed the upgrade procedure on crappy consumer grade laptops (....Acer.....*shudder*).

For the tin foil hat "Microsoft are spying on us" brigade, the CEIP (Customer Experience Improvement Program) has been in existence for over a decade and has been on by default in many Microsoft products (Windows XP, Office, Media Player, Windows Messenger etc etc) - Windows 10 is doing nothing new, niether do you have to do anything new to prevent telemetry being collected, simply opt out of anything pertaining to CEIP.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

I've done 3 Win 10 installs - 1 upgrade from 8.1 on a brand new laptop (no brainer), 1 upgrade from win 7 (didn't mean to - it's the wife's laptop and I had enough grief changing her from XP) and a clean install on my tower - the only problem was my win 7 licence wasn't recognised but MS sorted it over the phone in 15 minutes. So no significant problems
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

My windows blew up on me years ago and have been with Linux Mint since then....could never see myself ever going back
Dave2405 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Swapped to a MacBook about 4 years ago, wouldn't go back to a PC now.
(Post Link) post #12 of 33 Old 06-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I'm Apple to the core but we need a Windows laptop for Mrs. V's work.

This is the third time an update has stopped the touchpad working. I know it's not a big fix, but it shouldn't have to be doing this
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
My new Windows 10 PC has just spent the best part of an hour updating itself during which time I couldn't use it. I quite like 10 in some ways but the lack of control over it is annoying. Windows has become far too complex for a home computer imho.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
I'm Apple to the core but we need a Windows laptop for Mrs. V's work.

This is the third time an update has stopped the touchpad working. I know it's not a big fix, but it shouldn't have to be doing this

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex87 View Post
it does seem that the majority of people having issues are those who've performed the upgrade procedure on crappy consumer grade laptops (....Acer.....*shudder*).
Snobbery much?
Clovis likes this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 33 Old 06-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex87 View Post
Windows 10 has been nothing but excellent on my Surface Pro 3, gaming PC, work laptop and HTPC. These were all "clean" installs though, it does seem that the majority of people having issues are those who've performed the upgrade procedure on crappy consumer grade laptops
What should we be buying?
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
What should we be buying?
obviously nothing, because anything other than crappy consumer grade counts us consumers out.

maybe next time I buy my daughter a laptop, i'll get her a 1000+ alienware model so that when she's finished using facebook and MSWord and then breaks the screen, then at least i'll know my money has been well spent, because windows 10 managed to update without causing a ****-up.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Well, I've upgraded a Dell desktop, laptop & Surface tablet with zero problems. :smug:
(Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CRED View Post
Well, I've upgraded a Dell desktop, laptop & Surface tablet with zero problems. :smug:
I'm not talking about upgrading Craig, that I did without much of an issue, it's the constant updating that causes problems.

It stops you using the computer, as mentioned, stops you shutting down the computer and as I said, it causes issues with the touchpad.
AO Member

County: Somerset
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
+1 Cortana was starting to affect my self esteem. However it seems she is not very intelligent because she let me turn her off... People say I'm paranoid but I think she is still listening...
Don't blame the Laptop, the problem is Windows, I gave in and installed a Linux version called "Zorin" (free download) and have not looked back. There is free software to do any job I want and my OBD software runs on "Wine", an add on to allow Linux to run some of the older Windows programs.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
I'm not talking about upgrading Craig, that I did without much of an issue, it's the constant updating that causes problems.

It stops you using the computer, as mentioned, stops you shutting down the computer and as I said, it causes issues with the touchpad.
Still not had a problem :smug: :smug:

:razz:
(Post Link) post #22 of 33 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

good
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

We are forced to use W10 at work. However it's been pretty good on the whole. We got brand new laptops which sell for around 1200 which perhaps makes a difference. Upgrades always want more hardware

I ended up selling my MacBook Air because it was never used. My job is running mostly archaic UNIX systems but over the years I've come to accept Windows and almost like it
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I'm happy (overall) with Windows 10 - I stuck with XP for a long time, skipped Vista, almost went to 7 (though we still use it at work), had much fewer issues with the changes in 8 than some had, and found 10 easy enough. I'm not saying it's perfect, and in a way, I still miss the days on my old Amiga (it's getting set up again eventually!) but then no system is perfect (on any platform).
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
obviously nothing, because anything other than crappy consumer grade counts us consumers out.

maybe next time I buy my daughter a laptop, i'll get her a 1000+ alienware model so that when she's finished using facebook and MSWord and then breaks the screen, then at least i'll know my money has been well spent, because windows 10 managed to update without causing a ****-up.
Sorry, Alienware still falls into the "crappy consumer grade" category

You can, as a consumer, purchase business grade laptops quite easily from all the major manufacturers. Yes you pay a slight premium depending on model, but generally you'll get a machine with much more standardized hardware, a clean OS without all the OE bloatware and crap pre-installed and physically a much better machine (build quality, finish etc).

Case in point, my dear mother asked me to replace her Acer crapbook 2000 with something that didn't break every 20 minutes and didn't move slower than a Jack Russel wiping its arse on a cream carpet - an HP ProBook 450 G2 was purchased from the Business section of HP's online store for around 450 peso's. Solid construction, no MediaTek wifi adapters in sight (shudder...), 4Gb RAM, an i5 and an 120Gb SSD. Windows 10 was swiftly installed for mother dearest and she couldn't be happier.
stan laurel likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page