Ikea - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 47 Old 03-01-08 Thread Starter

Ikea

My girlfriend decided to drag me down to the newly opened Coventry Branch of Ikea, great I thought! A nice chilled day looking at stuff. But my god, how much of a faff is it! Its a fairly good idea, I grant you, find what you like, go down to the warehouse and then pick it up flat packed, saves time, space money etc.

However, 1, its a bloody big display area for the furniture, she took 3 hours walking round there, more then enough to make me feel slightly jaded.

2, Then there is ANOTHER big area of random stuff, same floor size, which takes another couple of hours. By this point, I wanted out...

3, Now you collect the flat packed furniture, you go to the ailse, and shelf co-ords where they are meant to be. However, they had sold out of many things that where indicated in stock at the display area. This annoyed Bridie (The future Mrs JB.... perhaps) so back up we went, selected something else, went back! The long and short was that over 2/3 of the stuff we came for wasn't there. We had one Jaded and bored bloke, and one fumming female.

4, We go to pay. easy enough. But they say 'oh, do you have your parking ticket, if you have paid over £30 you get two hours for free!' Well, small consolation... ok. I RUN to the car to retrieve the ticket because there where no indicators of this benefit at all next to the entrances, get ticket, run (well.... crawl...) back. Get ticket scanned. Catch breathe and roll back to the car.

5, Load the car, and then pay for the ticket..... which despite the scanning HAD NOT been discounted. I am now on the verge of flipping, I just want out, so I pay the money (Close to a bloody tenner!!!!) and go........ waved straight through the exit by parking attendants who didn't even check the damn tickets.

6, We get home. Now we have to ASSEMBLE the f*cking furniture. So thats what I have been doing, assembling cheap plywood cabinets that havn't even been made to good tolerances. So half the holes don't line up, and it didn't even include the right number of screws/dowells. They say the passs the savings onto you through the way its sold, frankly *********. Its cheap in every respect. Cheap shop, cheap and nasty furniture and zero satisfaction.

If I ever go back there again it will be too soon. God I hate Ikea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Re: Ikea

Never good when half your time is taken up and wasted. Personally, I never have a problem with Ikea, never had probs with making up the furniture.

Have a large stiff drink and relax
AO Platinum Member

I hate Ikea, absolutely hate it - why or why are your foreced to walk around the whole shop, and who thinks of all the naff names. If I go shopping for a chair I simply want to buy a chair, not a lifestyle with it
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Ikea should be destroyed. Everything I've ever bought from there I've ended up throwing away or selling.
AO Silver Member

I bought a GT to replace my Multipla so that we couldn't go to Ikea.
The whole family used to think I could carry anything they bought.
Never had trouble putting it together though, and did once get a glass cabinet for my toy cars.
(Post Link) post #6 of 47 Old 03-01-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithglos View Post
and did once get a glass cabinet for my toy cars.
The only positive from the whole day. My collection is now on display... well, part of it.

Last edited by Colinjb; 03-01-08 at 19:35.
AlfaLincs

I've been dragged round two IKEAS..the one at MetroCentre Gateshead, and the one at Brent Cross in London.

Both occasions nearly resulted in relationship meltdown with Mrs A. I thought the stuff was crap, the way they sell it is crap. I just hated the entire experience. Mrs A took it as a personal slight and said that I was just trouble making.

I said "I know crap kitchen units when I see them, and I know which bloody fool will have to assemble and install them"...We didn't buy an IKEA kitchen.

There is so much hype when IKEA opens a branch, and it resulted in tragedy in Leeds when there was a tailback onto the motorway, and some poor woman in the IKEA queue was killed when someone smashed into her car.

There was a SAAB ad once which went "Swedish Chic..without the chip board"

Hate IKEA with a vengeance.

AlfaLincs (p.s. Don't eat their meatballs either)

EddieGTA

Well yesterday I went to Lakeside Ikea, found some shelves I was interested in but no chance of getting them in the 156, so I will have to borrow my Dads car and go back some time.

However the trip cost me £200 in the end as drving to the main shopping centre to get some lunch the car was making and odd sound, parked up and checked and had picked up a bloody screw in one of the rear tyres. Been meaning to change both rears, but not just after Christmas

AO Silver Member

They do quite a good bowl of chips, then make you walk about a mile to reach the way out.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire

Spent my birthday 3 years ago at the brent cross branch.We needed quite a lot of stuff so we take the extended tour round the whole shop although we knew exactly what we wanted,only to find that we couldn't get it all on one of the huge trolleys.
So we pay for the first lot and i go and get the van while the wife watches the stuff.After queing for twenty minutes to get into the loading area i re-park the van and we do another lap of the shop to get the rest of the stuff.Another half hour wait to load up and we're done so its with great glee that i point the van up the M40 and head home.
Around the High Wycombe area the wifes checking the receipt and drops the bombshell 'we've got the wrong bookcase!' so i turn the van around at the next exit and head back to brent cross to do one final lap of the shop.You dont want to know what returning stuff to them is like,the most useless saturday kids i've ever come across.

the wife now goes to ikea on her own

why do people eat them digusting meatballs
AO Silver Member

The best way to avoid Ikea here is to threaten to have a plate of meat balls if we go there.
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

We have a smallish Ikea in Richmond. I like to look but never end up buying much. The Kitchen stuff is okay along with their storage bins. It's easy to get in and out of and they have a $1 breakfast every day till 11am. It's not bad, we tried it once.
They built a new one in the valley which is huge apparently, I won't be visiting it.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I live about a mile from the one in Wednesbury West Midlands . I detest the place , causes major traffic jams when they have a sale on even with traffic queing back onto the M6 . The only plus is you dont have to pay for the parking there .
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

...and when you get to the check-out, the b*stards have the cheek to charge you if you try to pay by credit card.

One final piece of advice: Do not ever go to IKEA if you know what you want. Took me an hour to buy a CD rack from Belfast one yesterday.

Knew what I wanted and where in the store to find it... still took a bl00dy hour. Is an express checkout for people who aren't using a Transit van as a shopping trolley too much to ask for?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Don't they do an on-line ordering service now???
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

I just think Reggie Perrin and his GrotShops have come true.

Reggie is a prophet, we should follow his teachings.....
AlfaLincs

The meatballs ar the testicles of husbands who have dared to disagree with their wives...be warned

AlfaLincs

(Post Link) post #18 of 47 Old 03-01-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
The meatballs ar the testicles of husbands who have dared to disagree with their wives...be warned
Thought they where kind of chewey.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
If I ever go back there again it will be too soon. God I hate Ikea.
But your fiance will be smitten with it so you will be going back, at least every month mwahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy156 View Post
Never good when half your time is taken up and wasted. Personally, I never have a problem with Ikea, never had probs with making up the furniture.

Have a large stiff drink and relax
Likewise - no real problems, though it would be nice if the warehouse staff were quicker in the Bristol store.

3 suggestions though -
Browse a little on the website if you have something specific to look for. (though that may make no difference to a woman's shopping
Pick a time when the shops not busy - late on weeknights was good in Bristol last time I went.
Use the stock checker.

Bit of a kicker them charging nearly a tenner for parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
There is so much hype when IKEA opens a branch, and it resulted in tragedy in Leeds when there was a tailback onto the motorway, and some poor woman in the IKEA queue was killed when someone smashed into her car.

Thing is everything is hyped ridiculously now - look at how much the people spunked over the iPhone - couple of nice ideas (wifi & touchscreen) but really not the paradigm shift people made out & way overpriced. But the gadget shows & magazines sucked up to Jobs & started the hype

My days of not taking you seriously are definitely coming to a middle
(Post Link) post #20 of 47 Old 04-01-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheradnine View Post
Browse a little on the website if you have something specific to look for. (though that may make no difference to a woman's shopping
Spot f*cking on.
AO Member

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

that was too funny Sirocco.
AO Platinum Member

I had an Ikea ...
called something queer.
It wasn't that good.
and the cost was quite dear.

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Cheap breakfasts & hotdogs !!!!!!

Meatballs are great to !!!

Must follow the arrows, must follow the arrows, must follow the arrows, must follow the arrows, must follow the arrows, must follow the arrows, must follow the arrows.
HSTDriver

I like Ikea, Billy bookcase is the bestest bookcase in the world, couldn't be without it.

And don't folow the arrows, people! Hunt out the shortcuts (EVERY IKEA has them) go straight to what you want, and get round the store double quick

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page