Do you enjoy driving? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Do you actually enjoy daily driiving?
No, it's a chore and I hate it passionately.... 1 1.56%
Not really, too frustrating.... 4 6.25%
Yeah I do, as long as the roads stay clear.... 30 46.88%
Yep, Love it. I Live in my car.... 25 39.06%
Other.... 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

HSTDriver

Do you enjoy driving?

With our roads gridlocked and at breaking point, stupid new regulations about driving on hard shoulders, bus lanes lanes with deadly spears attacking your car from asunder, people cutting you up, tailgating, drivers with fog lights on during perfect weather, endless lines of traffic lights that flick back to red at just the wrong moment, new designs of speed cameras that are ever more vindictive than their predecessors, congestion charging, middle lane hoggers, 40mph everywhere drivers, paying £1 per litre at the pump, paying £10 for breakfast at the services, caravans, suicidal bikers, potholed roads, drunk driving on the increase again, cyclists with no lights, lorries with several thousand lights, and all the other irritations, frustrations and downright d***head things on our roads today, the question is.....

Is day to day driving really an enjoyable experience?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cul

Re: Do you enjoy driving?

Come to Wales, stay out of the citys and all is well. Well almost
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

I love driving under any circumstances except traffic jams.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

nothing better than a bit twisty black stuff
mikebrown

for the vast majority of time is a "grind"...every now and then its a pleasure...

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Yep I enjoy it, but I live out among the fields! Most annoying thing out here is getting stuck behind tractors
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul View Post
Wales! maybe south - but not North Wales with our Nazi traffic police
AO Member

took me 3 hours to get home today, ending coming off the motorway and doing the country roads, it went from extremly boring to fun, in a "oh ***** i'm really late" kind of way.
vantastic

I spend 9 + hours aday driving a slow 33ft 9 ton bus and love it apart from the passengers do you know how fast any car is after that

Darren156

I must admit that I hardly get to 'enjoy' driving in the way I'd like to, but i always look forward to belting that V6 down the long straights home from work. And I also take the car for a 25 mile run around Friday and Saturday, late at night down the local ring roads to really get the best from my car.

Having said that, i also enjoy tootling along the motorway with the cruise on listening to music.

So overall I love driving, but when faced with moronic road users I tend to get slightly frustrated. But as long as you stay well back from idiots and try not to get too mad driving can be a great experience. Even when the roads aint clear and full of nutters instead!

Hmm, this reminds me, today is Friday. The Ol' Gal better be feeling upto it, I've just had new rear brake pads fitted at work and was told to run them in gently. I hope the 12 mile journey home was enough, because the ring road awaits!

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

i absolutely love driving, even years ago when i was a sales rep and used to rack up 60,000 miles a year i still loved getting back in the car at weekends and just going for a drive for the sake of it. i'm lucky now in that i don't have to muck about with rush hour (my office is 5 minutes away and i don't work 9-5) and within 5 minutes drive of home i'm up on some great moorland roads. sitting in traffic is of course a pain in the arse but what better place to do it than in an alfa?

- Keepin' it moist -
vantastic

Thats why we are here, so like it but as my wage depends on it I have to be a good boy thats why I do track days to have a blast

happy man

Hated it during the week Leeds Liverpool the M57 M60 M62 was hatefull even driving it in the Alfa couldn't cheer me up

Answer change jobs Liverpool Blackburn M58 M6 M65 much nicer run I love driving then getting on some twisty suff every weekend

I'm a happy man

EddieGTA

My car only gets used at the weekends and I still often get through a couple of tanks of fuel in a month, says it all. Did drive to work on the Southbank in London for a time a few years back before kengestion charging and that wasn't enjoyable though, too many morons about in the city.

AlfaLincs

I used to love driving the Welsh roads from Corwen to Bala and then to Trawsfynndd and down the Lleyn Pensinsula....100% enjoyment at the wheel. But with speed cameras everywhere enjoyable driving has to have most of the speed element removed..but as i'm older and allegedly wiser I don't drive so fast anyway...most of the time.

I got to a point where driving fast stressed me up too much, thats an age thing too. I love scenic journeys the most.

Oddly enough if you can find the M62 empty on a bright winters morning that too is a spectacular drive as you head over the tops from Leeds past Manchester. The same piece of road on a friday night in fog is a living nightmare though.

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul View Post
Not in North Wales it's not - more speed camera's than anywhere
AO Platinum Member

My trip to work normally is only 3 miles, and I don't have any feelings towards it one way or the other. However, I do quite enjoy the trip to Bangor when I go tot he main University campus
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

i have to constantly think about which county i'm in when i'm going for a spin - greater manchester = police with a sensible attitude to being slightly over the speed limit as they have bigger fish to fry on their patch, or lancashire = zero tolerance gestapo with a speed camera fetish to rival north wales police
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Love Driving. It gives you a sense of freedom and expression when you want it or more importantly when you need it.

As my working hours vary, I'm rarely in peak hour traffic so can enjoy my 18 mile each way commute.

Stuck in traffic jams can be a chore, but then as I drive an Alfa, I know a good majority of those around me really wish they drove one as well.

Out on the open road, and particularly 'up north', is when I connect as one with my car..........really knowing how to drive and get the best from the car your in, is an art form thats very hard to beat for a self-confessed petrolhead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
True Alfisti never question why

We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? Lee Iacocca
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Love it. Traffic jams and 40mph M8 motorway trips can be a pain but that's one of the beauties of the 159. When you get the opportunity to push it has the ability and when you're stuck you can just chill and enjoy the comfort and the look of the dash.

Anyway, this isn't the south-east, so I guess we have it luckier. The Central Belt can be a chore but we're never a million miles from a good quiet road.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

When I have a good car I miss driving when I can't get the chance
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

Yep, I really do love driving, thanks.
Damien_C

I love driving. It's the freedom of it and the fact if you are stressed or bored it clears your head. There is nothing like driving and listening to your favourite cd and cruising around some of Irelands back roads even though certain roads in ireland aint the best.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Yes.: I rather enjoy being part of the tide of movement out there, and then returning to base, to have a few thoughts.:
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

I now take the train as much as poss because the jams, cameras and having to drive at an avg of less the 20MPH pretty much everywhere just takes any of the fun out of it . I imagine I will enjoy it again when I move out of the southeast at some point in the future.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
driving , enjoy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page