reliability - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 29-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

reliability

OK Here goes and this might upset the apple cart somewhat.
but alfa engines seem to be unreliable' belt failures big ends ,mains etc. be dead honest and tell us what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mudhut

Re: reliability

...and there's me about to buy a 147 TS already having a 164 24V that doesn't work properly.

ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

No poll?

Anyway, Alfa engines are as reliable as anyone elses. There are more stories about Alfa engine failures on here 'coz it's an Alfa site. Look on any other car forum and I bet you'll see the same number of horror stories.

Look after your Alfa and she'll look after you. If you keep on top of the servicing & regular checks there's no reason to have any more downtime than anything else.
AlfaLincs

"Anyway, Alfa engines are as reliable as anyone elses"

I don't agree. I think the Fiat based 16Valve TS engines have a rather poor record compare with many competitors.

The V6 is pretty solid as long as you get the belts/tensioner changed every 45k or so, and the diesels are as good as anybodies..but not fool proof.

The 159s are too new, but at least they have chain cams..HURRAH!!!

Older Alfa engines with chain cams had an excellent reliability record. Thats what made Alfas reputation in the 50s/60s/70s/80s. In those days it was rust that let them down.

AlfaLincs

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

I think the engines are generally good. What let's down even the Fiat derived 16V TS engines is poor maintenence by owners. Big ends don't fail on their own..
Rosso145

Big ends can fail at any time and who else recommends cambelt changes at 36k? They're expensive to maintain and fragile. We all know about the electrics too.............

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

too often the electrics are German, and too often the problem on an Italian car lies in the bl00dy electrics.

and the cambelt tensioners are Canadian and the cambelt bearings French.

I don't like bratwurst or snails in my pizza thank you.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

:edit:

Last edited by purple145; 30-09-07 at 09:55. Reason: double post
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I've had 6 Alfas and none of them have had any engine troubles.

Current 2 have 85,000kms and 65,000kms and both are fine despite lots of high revs driving.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

My 156 was utterly reliable over 2 years of spirited ownership
Darren156

I find that with any car as long as you look after them they'll look after you. Alfa have gotten a bad name by ******s who don't bother checking their fluids all year round and leave all maintenance up to the blokes that service it.

They're the type of people who slag Alfa off when their car blows up, even though it's their own fault.

Admittedly, the cam belt issue is a biggy, it would have helped if Alfa stuck the belt somewhere else so it didn't wreck everything else in the engine, or if they used better tensioners. But they didn't, so it's one thing we have to live with.

All cars have their weak points and the cambelt is one of Alfaa, but so what? As long as you change it before it's due date you should be fine.

If people want a car that drives them from A to B they shouldn't have bought an Alfa, they should have bought a Ford. And even then they can go wrong.

Alfas are for people who really love cars and don't mind the niggly things, as they are rewarded with driving the car. My 156 V6 was fantastic, and had nothing wrong with it whatsoever, I loved it.

Not sure why I sold it in the end but I did. Probably because at the time I felt the same way you did, like it was all going to blow up at any minute,

But looking back I looked after that car and it looked after me. It was a mutual relationship. Keep fluids topped. Only race when warmed etc.

There is something more than just owning a car to Alfa Romeo, and it's something that Ford and Vauxhall owners will never understand.

I find if you ask someone what engine their Fiesta has they'll have no idea, but you ask ANY Alfa Owner and they will know. Whether it be male or female, they will know.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

The only problems I have had with alfa's are either German electrical parts, or people neglecting them.

I also think there is a problem with people getting Alfa's serviced at garages who do not know Alfa's well. For instance my 156 had had the cambelt done recently before I bought it, but the cam timing was out and the balance shafts were not correctly alligned, the balance belt was also very loose. I also think the belt was changed but not the tensioners, as the belts looked new and the tensioners didn't.
(I had no receipt or record of the belt change so I decided to change it as a matter of course).

I would say they are as reliable as most if properly maintanied, and far more reliable than anything french.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Member

County: Antrim

I'm currently driving my second 156 and have had no problems with either car.Unfortunately can't say the same about the dealer!Does Alfa run training courses "How to lose customers in one easy lesson"?However,maintenance is all with an Alfa and they are expensive to keep,but I'm still on the look-out for my third......
Rayq81

I think that because of the type of car an alfa is people tend to drive them harder hence the failure rate on the face of it is probably higher, however i think that overall a well looked after car will be more reliable and the Alfa Romeo is as good as most other modern cars ( my mate has a £35000 new Lexus that has been towed in twice ) where my alfa has not let me down ( Touch wood )

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

[QUOTE=AlfaLincs;1303033
Older Alfa engines with chain cams had an excellent reliability record. Thats what made Alfas reputation in the 50s/60s/70s/80s. In those days it was rust that let them down.

AlfaLincs[/QUOTE]

My 93 spider has a chain cam and no rust best of all worlds I guess. She has had some electrical work done and the top end redone but all in all at 140K km and well driven, she's wonderful. Regular maintenance and the workshop manual are always necessary for any car.
EddieGTA

I think both alfa and fiat make excellent and strong engines. I have had 3 alfas, 4 fiats and a Lancia and all when it comes to the mechanical components of the engine were faultless.

Cam belt/tensioner failures are down to alfas stupidity in using plastic tensioners and saying the belts would go 5yr/72k. 3yr/36k and you would never have had a problem and they wouldn't have gained a bad rep from it.

Other problems as people have said are down to owners not checking the fluids, and lets face it any alfa owner is going to thrash it every now and then, do that with low oil and you are asking for trouble, and to add to that regarding oil use some cars do use oil not just alfa.

AO Platinum Member

300,000 kms... Just a new pair of head gaskets... though now the original (!) water pump is playing up a bit.

v6. Aye!

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

I think theengines are fine providing you top them up with oil. The problem comes when people who aren't use to checking their oil at least every week buy the cars and run them dry...
AO Platinum Member

My beast will have chomped over 200 litres of the black stuff...

I think that's about £800 of oil...

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 04-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for replying to my poll
Darren156

What Poll?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
reliability