Should Greece be allowed to remain in th Eurozone / EU - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Should Greece remain a member of the Eurozone and EU?
Greece should remain a full member of both 3 20.00%
Greece should be a member of the EU but not the Eurozone 6 40.00%
Greece should not be a member of either the EU or Eurozone 4 26.67%
Other 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

 4Likes
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By VO2Max
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By Durty dog
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 06-07-15 Thread Starter
Status: Not my PM
AO Platinum Member
 
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: European Union
Posts: 44,634
Should Greece be allowed to remain in th Eurozone / EU

Following the astoundingly foolish No vote by the Greek people on the bailout plan from the EU. Should Greece be allowed to remain in the Eurozone or the European Union?
AlfaDrivingFan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Boot them out.
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,812
I don't see why they can't be in the EU, but the ECB should not provide anymore funding to their banking system, as it would be too risky. And that would effectively starve the country of cash, they would need to mint some other currency or trade a system of government IOUs.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 06-07-15 Thread Starter
Status: Not my PM
AO Platinum Member
 
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: European Union
Posts: 44,634
I think they should leave the EU, get their economy in order and maybe re-apply in 20 or 30 years. :rubchin:
AlfaDrivingFan is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Have they gone yet?

TheGrimJeeper is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 06-07-15 Thread Starter
Status: Not my PM
AO Platinum Member
 
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: European Union
Posts: 44,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Have they gone yet?

Greece = Determined double glazing salesman you can't get rid of
AlfaDrivingFan is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
I think they should be given the Gruck-Off instead of the Grexit.
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 24 Old 06-07-15 Thread Starter
Status: Not my PM
AO Platinum Member
 
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: European Union
Posts: 44,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
I think they should be given the Gruck-Off instead of the Grexit.
AlfaDrivingFan is offline  
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
If they get off their high horses and get with the (EU) plan, then they should stay.

Otherwise, go and bleed somewhere else.

So I voted 'other'.
 
Status: Make Covfefe great again!!
AO Platinum Member
 
Greener123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Posts: 41,384
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

They should remain part of the EU but they should leave the Euro
Greener123 is offline  
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
.
 
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,023
They should leave, they would be better off out.

As would every other country that is in there, except maybe Germany.
Adam__147 likes this.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 24 Old 08-07-15 Thread Starter
Status: Not my PM
AO Platinum Member
 
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: European Union
Posts: 44,634
I think the Germans would be quite happy if the Euro had never come into existence. The Deutsche Mark was a very powerful and solid currency.
AlfaDrivingFan is offline  
Status: Enjoying the novelty of turbo lag
AO Member
 
Adam__147's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
County: -
Posts: 16

Member car:

147 JTD 8v Sport

I think it's in Greece's interest to relieve themselves of being held to ransom by the troika. Austerity is supposed to be a Eurozone-wide thing, and Greece have been left as the one who gets bullied. They're right to have said no to the bailouts, in my opinion.

I can't argue with those that say Greece could have been more fiscally responsible, but the way the troika and Germany have handled the situation goes to show how little they care about a truly supportive Union and that their interests lie with themselves. They have more or less sacrificed Greece to save themselves from discomfort.

The troika's actions have forced Greece into a corner, and they understandably want out. However, a Grexit would reflect poorly on the efficacy of the euro and the Union (understatement) and so the parties are now scrambling to hash out a deal. Imposing austerity measures isn't the way though; carving Greece to the bone and expecting a long-term result is unrealistic compared to supporting the leftist democratic system that the Greeks were right to vote for when they chose Tsipras.

There's so many sides to this, though. I just try to form my view from politically neutral sources, rather than a lot of our papers and media.
Adam__147 is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 24 Old 08-07-15 Thread Starter
Status: Not my PM
AO Platinum Member
 
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: European Union
Posts: 44,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam__147 View Post
I think it's in Greece's interest to relieve themselves of being held to ransom by the troika. Austerity is supposed to be a Eurozone-wide thing, and Greece have been left as the one who gets bullied. They're right to have said no to the bailouts, in my opinion.

I can't argue with those that say Greece could have been more fiscally responsible, but the way the troika and Germany have handled the situation goes to show how little they care about a truly supportive Union and that their interests lie with themselves. They have more or less sacrificed Greece to save themselves from discomfort.

The troika's actions have forced Greece into a corner, and they understandably want out. However, a Grexit would reflect poorly on the efficacy of the euro and the Union (understatement) and so the parties are now scrambling to hash out a deal. Imposing austerity measures isn't the way though; carving Greece to the bone and expecting a long-term result is unrealistic compared to supporting the leftist democratic system that the Greeks were right to vote for when they chose Tsipras.

There's so many sides to this, though. I just try to form my view from politically neutral sources, rather than a lot of our papers and media.
Do such things exist ?
AlfaDrivingFan is offline  
Status: Enjoying the novelty of turbo lag
AO Member
 
Adam__147's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
County: -
Posts: 16

Member car:

147 JTD 8v Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
Do such things exist ?
Good point, but I do try to avoid clearly biased outlets and focus on more independent commentary, then weigh the arguments myself. Obviously as a lefty I tend to end up with lefty conclusions, though.
Adam__147 is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Farage and LePenn support Greece's stance. Does that make them Lefties?
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Could it just be because they detest the EU?
Adam__147 likes this.
 
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,023
The EU would be good if it has stayed as it was at the beginning.

A common market 6 or 7 countries with an agreement to freely trade...

Not 29 countries each with their own agenda and a one size fits all set of rules that doesn't actually fit any of them.

Getting change or reform to suit any member is next to impossible due to the way each other country is hell bent on looking after their own interests and the way that treaties or rule changes require agreement from every member.
Adam__147 likes this.
symon is offline  
Status: Enjoying the novelty of turbo lag
AO Member
 
Adam__147's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
County: -
Posts: 16

Member car:

147 JTD 8v Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Farage and LePenn support Greece's stance. Does that make them Lefties?
I think VO2 hit the nail on the head. Their agenda is anti-EU, not related to anything left-leaning (as far as I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The EU would be good if it has stayed as it was at the beginning.

A common market 6 or 7 countries with an agreement to freely trade...

Not 29 countries each with their own agenda and a one size fits all set of rules that doesn't actually fit any of them.

Getting change or reform to suit any member is next to impossible due to the way each other country is hell bent on looking after their own interests and the way that treaties or rule changes require agreement from every member.
Yeah I agree, the EU has vastly overreached its original purpose as a trade agreement designed to prevent war (the old EEC). It should have stuck to what was necessary and probably not aimed to impose a Union with sociological and economic ideals. For example, Poland's priorities are going to be completely different from Portugal's.
Adam__147 is offline  
Durty dog
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
They should remain in both, that will teach the germans to attempt european domination again :evil grin:
symon likes this.
 
Status: #RussiansDidIt
Unregistered
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Posts: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Farage and LePenn support Greece's stance. Does that make them Lefties?
OK.
What is the reason for the fact that they ( LePenn at least ) have been voted widely by the people whom they want to be kicked out.
BuonGiorno is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
I don't understand the question: kicked out of what?
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
Status: #RussiansDidIt
Unregistered
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Posts: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
I don't understand the question: kicked out of what?
I mean idea of "France for French". Kicked out of country.
I mean there exist people whose presence is critical but they still vote FOR if they may of course.
Figuratively speaking.
BuonGiorno is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
allowed , eurozone , greece , remain

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome