How old... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: How old should you be to be allowed to drive?
17 - it was good enough for me 20 42.55%
18 - so you can drive to the polling station with your new wife 16 34.04%
21 - a new meaning to getting the key of the door 11 23.40%
25 - supported by statistics 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 20-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

How old...

...should you be to drive in the UK?

There's all this talk about raising the driving age to 21 to reduce the number of accidents on the road. However, they then always quote a statistic that drivers under 25 are more likely to have an accident - which implies that they should raise the driving age to over 25 doesn't it

Surely though, if you can vote, get married, and join the army to get killed in Afghanistan you're old enough to drive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 46 Old 20-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Re: How old...

Personally I think they should keep it at 17, but perhaps there should be restrictions on the type of car such drivers have - although the Insurance companies do a good job of regulating this...
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I think it should be 18. I thinks its funny that you can drive a potentially dangerous weapon at 17 yet you cannot go into a pub or vote.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

I think it should be 18 but with the engine size restricted for a certain period - maybe 1.2 for 2 years. If the driver has any accidents or gains any convictions with the restricted period then it should be extended.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

21, before I got a car,and B vehicle truck licence. Did have a tank licence at 18 though
(Post Link) post #6 of 46 Old 20-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I was going to suggest the restricted engine size myself - but I guess those Smart cars with the remaps actually go quite fast...maybe BHP should be restricted instead?

Last edited by Gary Slegg; 20-08-07 at 10:14.
Nev

There should be a probationary year (or two).
Here in France you have to have an "A" sticker
which limits you. (Top speed on motorways etc?)

AO Member

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6

I think they should do the same with cars as they do with motorbikes. On bikes if you sit your test between the age of 17 and 21 you are limited to 33bhp bikes, then when you hit 21 you can ride anything but I think you have to do another test. This would catch most of the young ones out who have picked up all the bad habits.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire

As I got my licence years ago and there are now far more Corsa-driving muppets on the road I am going for 21!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

17 - as it was good enough for me and to say otherwise now would be hypocritical.

However, cars are a lot faster, there is more traffic and just maybe kids are a bit more reckless so I would favour some of the restrictions suggested.

I do agree with <1.2L up to 21 as an easily administered control and only a few would tune their way around it. If it was widespread you move the goal posts to suit. I like the idea of a re-test at 21 when they want to move up.

I also agree with the idea of restricting under 25's from having young passengers if there is no "mature" adult in the car.

They should also be forbidden from having any form of ICE in the car until 25 - that's just to protect my ears from thumping sh!te when I'm in traffic or they pull up outside my house!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post

... any form of ICE in the car ...

Ah, I've finally figured out what ICE meant! Thanks for that...
Me old... still have a wireless in the car....
VO2Max

17, but with engine size of car restricted to 1L until say, 21.

But Gary, I'm puzzled by your poll choice of: "18 - so you can drive to the polling station with your new wife". You can get married at 16. Scary but true!

(Post Link) post #13 of 46 Old 20-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
But Gary, I'm puzzled by your poll choice of: "18 - so you can drive to the polling station with your new wife". You can get married at 16. Scary but true!
True - but arent I right in thinking you still need your parents permission, wheras at 18 (or maybe its 17) you don't?
AO Silver Member

County: Nicosia

i think its all relevant...

i mean there are some really mature persons who can drive in an acceptable manner even if they are 16 or 17, on the other hand lots of people really dont know how to drive no matter how old they are.

personally i used to the fact that driving a car is firstly to go from one place to another, safe, and keeping some respect for others drivers as well.
as for the ideas about 1.2L for under 21 and things like that... the problem isnt the engine, its in the mind! if someone is reckless and dodgy with a car, there no point of changing the car...

OMG, I HAVE THE ALFA BUG
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

I did 110 in my mam's Corsa 1.2 when I was 17, before I became a sensible driver. I don't think engine restrictions would prevent crashes. In fact, most of the cars with larger sized engines are more stable at speed, and are built to handle well at speed. Also, bigger cars are more likely to have airbags and ABS, protecting the occupants when they do crash.

I think as bad as the situation is at the moment with young drivers, I can't think of a better solution. I've had the Alfa since I was 19, and I know plenty of other people who have used fast cars at a young age with no problems.

Also, what about those 17 year olds that can't afford their own car, only able to use their parents' car? That would mean they wouldn't be able to drive mam and dad's 1.6 Focus or whatever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3xus-cy
as for the ideas about 1.2L for under 21 and things like that... the problem isnt the engine, its in the mind! if someone is reckless and dodgy with a car, there no point of changing the car...
I'm with you on that one.

im a young male (20) and i get slated on my insurance premium. but i expect it after all ive got a JTS. the thing is being young doesnt make you a bad driver there are plenty of loons out there with as much road sense as a tin of beans.

restricng engine/bhp is wrong, ive owned 3 cars a corsa GSi, bravo HGT and now the JTS. like im gonna go buy a 80hp 1.2
VO2Max

You may be a good driver, but all the stoopid chavs out there have messed it up for you unfortunately, by driving so badly. Limiting the power of cars available to youngsters may be the way to go unfortunately, a sledgehammer to crack a nut, I know. But this is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with somehow. If the idiots were only killing themselves, it wouldn't matter, but they are taking innocent people with them! Statistically, you are a nightmare! (I know, not you personally! )The period of small engines would be over soon enough, by which time a modicum of sensibility will hopefully have prevailed. If the law says you buy a 80BHP 1.2, you buy it! It sucks but it may be necessary!

Club Member
Membro Premio

But is there statistics to say that under 21's who drive more powerful cars crash more than under 21's that drive less powerful cars? I can see why people think having a less powerful car would mean less crashes, but I've never seen evidence to back this up.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
im a young male (20) and i get slated on my insurance premium. but i expect it after all ive got a JTS. the thing is being young doesnt make you a bad driver there are plenty of loons out there with as much road sense as a tin of beans.

restricng engine/bhp is wrong, ive owned 3 cars a corsa GSi, bravo HGT and now the JTS. like im gonna go buy a 80hp 1.2
I agree with restricting engine size for new drivers, but would base it on experience rather than age. First 2 or 3 years of driving should be restricted to a maximum 1.4 engine for example.

That said, there are a massive number of bad drivers out there from all age groups and demographics.
Does 70 year old grandpa Joe get stung by his insurance company even though he's half blind and totally unaware of whats going on outside of his own vehicle? No he does not.
Does the school run mum get stung by her insurance company even though she has 3 yelling bawling fighting distractions sitting (standing)on the back seat that take her concentration from the road? Nope she does not.
Does the rep who does 50k miles a year (mainly in the middle lane of the motorway, regardless of traffic levels) get stung by his insurance company even though he has a penchant for tailgating, undercutting and delaying his manouvre from lane 3 to exit slip road until past the 100 yeard marker board? No he does not.

Mark Alfa

17 was good enough for me I would of been stuck getting to work otherwise

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

17 for me, i think a bit of independence isn't a bad thing... also I wouldnt have been able to get very far to work without a car & license as there's no regular buses here. Agree with the engine restrictions for young drivers thats a very good idea!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Thing is with the engine restrictions, they're just going to whip the 1.2 out and bang in a 2.0 red top, and because its illegal, the chances of them being insured when they crash into us will drop from low to zero!! These Nova's, Corsa's etc are dirt cheap, and so are engines from 15 year old cavaliers, and its not much of a job either.

I think things should just stay as they are. Maybe make the tests harder, but insurance pretty much does the job of restricting the engine size of young drivers - most of them can't afford the insurance of a big engine, stopping them from buying it anyway. Although it still doesn't stop them crashing in their done up base-spec, smallest-engined cars anyway.

I still stand by my point that having a bigger engine probably doesn't make it more statistically likely that a young driver will crash.
HSTDriver

On the railway, I have to have my driving regularly assessed to ensure that my competancy level hasn't dropped. In addition to this regular driving assessment, I have to have a bi-annual rules and regulation assessment on a computer and face to face with a qualified assessor.

Every 5 years I have to undergo a full medical to ensure that i'm fit for driving duties. A driver is also mediscreened following any incident involving safety of the line.

I can also be randomly screened at any time for drug and alcohol levels in my body.

The end result is a standard of driver who is in good health, of a high standard of driving ability, is well aware of rules and regulations, free of drugs and is sensible with regard to alcohol (i.e not the night before a shift, and definately not during a shift)

Now why can't we see similar regulations be brought in for drivers?

Or perhaps are we scared that we'd not pass after x-amount of years since our tests?

AO Platinum Member

Hmm... tricky one.

I think young drivers should be limited to a 750cc car with a power output below 40 bhp.

Yes.. "some" will tune them up but a car of that size and weight won't do too much damage to granny when it mows her down on a pedestrian crossing.

Limit the size and power of the car, without restricting the youngster's freedom to drive.

It will require a new type of car.. but it won't take Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot, Toyota long to fit a sleeved down engine into their smallest car.

18 is the entry age.. up to 20 for the micro-car. Then capacity restrictions until 25 (say 1.6).

We shouldn't get hung up on "17 was okay for me". Maybe, but my grandad's driving test consisted of driving forwards in 3 different gears, stopping and reversing. That was "okay for him...".

And if a yoof can be married, vote and go off to war then that's not the slightest bit connected to driving.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I think 18 with a power restriction (rather than cc as otherwise manufactures will just get round it by producing turbo's) for the 1st 2 years from passing your test up to the age of 21.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page