Are you a car brand snob? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Badge snob? Badge more important than car?
Yes, I value the badge most 9 17.31%
No, I prefer my car to be good 19 36.54%
Possibly, but only if it was a... 16 30.77%
Other (discuss) 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

BlueEvo2

Are you a car brand snob?

I'm increasingly feeling that, as standards and quality rise, and businesses reorganise and change, car brands are more about the brand than the reality.

I'm not going to go into specifics just yet, but would you take an inferior car with a "superior" badge, or a superior car with an "inferior" badge? Honestly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Are you a car brand snob?

Not Arf' especially when I was a chauffeur, piloting a Corniche. Stand aside, knowing your betters! With exceptions toward the Salt of The Earth.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

I could never own a Skoda no matter how good they are.
AO Member

County: Limassol

Member car:

Brera S 2.2 JTS

Second Best!!! No matter the brand of car you afford to buy, it must be good at the end of the day!
AO Platinum Member

This vessel is powered by RR engines! Fly with RR on the wings! Drive up with a RR til' you cruise.
Nev

If I had to, I'd prefer to drive an Opel than a Vauxhall.

So, yes.

AO Platinum Member

500 year old Lombardy Walnut, selected for it's perfection in grain.: Drop of Chivas Regal, and that House of Windsor green Havana, as Merrily we Sail Along.:
EddieGTA

That really depends. Before the GTA I had a Punto and was looking to get something more exciting again, and was looking at all options. Despite only ever owning Italian cars I was looking at Civic Type-R and Leon Cupras, but the thing I found was while mechanically they were very capable, they just didn't cut it in the rest of the department. So I guess my answer is no I am not a snob, but the brand has to have something on a par with what I like e.g. my GTA.

BlueEvo2

ZF have you been at the Chivas Regal?

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I only love Italian cars and they are an indulgence but I appreciate other makes. I'd have a Skoda or Kia if needs must.

My wife is a total badge snob though
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire

You need to read Clarkson's "I know you got soul" - that's the best explanation as to why a brand is good, the intention or goal of the creator of the marque. That is why a Proton is a soulless box and, regardless of it's failings, the Alfa feels so good. So yes, I value the badge as it stands for the pedigree of the car - though NOT in the case of the BMW/Merc etc

Confused?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

no, not at all.

If it's good, I'd drive it. I would never in a million years buy something just because of the brand. And, if I bought a branded producet, it's because it is good, and not because of the brand.

I personally loath people reading me based on what I own/possess, and the branded goods are the biggest story-tellers of them all.

g
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEvo2 View Post
an inferior car with a "superior" badge
Alfas are still perceived as inferior, so the answer is a definite YES!

...I only want to drive Alfas so not sure I can answer the question unless Alfa cease to exist.

wrinx

Not really been a brand fan, but let me choose between a Skoda/VW it's a VW, even though it may be the same car..ish
AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

A bit.

I'd rather put £30k into an Aston Martin DB7 than £20k into a not-dissimilar Jaguar XKR, so I suppose thats snobbery.

Oddly, I'd rather have either a Skoda, a Seat, or an Audi in preference to a Volkswagen. No real idea why.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

ST170

tough one,

I would choose a high spec Leon over a mid spec A3, in fact when I got my Alfa the old shape Leon FR, was my second choice.

I wouldn't want a Skoda, although I think it's more to do with styling than badge.

so I don't think I am, but then I wouldn't consider a BM at the minute due to the image they have, so I might be a badge anti-snob or something,

my attitude -as a company car driver - is to get the best looking car, with the most oomph & toys/stuff for my budget, with one eye on CO2 figures.

my attitude - when helping to choose wifey's car - is to get the cheapest with a nice small engine and maybe some electric windows. (she has a Suzuki, she loves it)

So in summary, ummmmm, .....maybe, no,
AO Platinum Member

How many Roller's have been appraised on TG then?? Eh? Eh? Now that's class, quality, dignity, with more than a touch of the Spirit of Ecstasy. Try One.
AO Silver Member

im more likely to avoid a product because of the brand association. for instance i will never own an ipod or an audi tt. now i accept ipods are probably the best there is, now. but most early ones were bought purely on the coolness factor , which still remains. audi tt's whilst very good cars are bought again purely for the coolness factor, by estate agents or hairdressers, and people with 25k burning a hole in their pockets and no imagination. also i doubt ill ever own a BMW, i accept that they are very good cars, esp the M cars, but i hate the image and the fact that they are ten a penny. as for RR, pah Bentleys are far superior. rollers are for second hand car dealers
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
im more likely to avoid a product because of the brand association. for instance i will never own an ipod or an audi tt. now i accept ipods are probably the best there is, now. but most early ones were bought purely on the coolness factor , which still remains. audi tt's whilst very good cars are bought again purely for the coolness factor, by estate agents or hairdressers, and people with 25k burning a hole in their pockets and no imagination. also i doubt ill ever own a BMW, i accept that they are very good cars, esp the M cars, but i hate the image and the fact that they are ten a penny. as for RR, pah Bentleys are far superior. rollers are for second hand car dealers
Funny enough I had that conversation earlier. Someone saying how the ipod was the best MP3 player. My arguement was my sony ericsson phone is perfectly acceptible and has the plus of not having an apple logo on it.

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
Alfas are still perceived as inferior, so the answer is a definite YES!

...I only want to drive Alfas so not sure I can answer the question unless Alfa cease to exist.

wrinx
Exactly.... what he said
AO Silver Member

County: -

Anything Italian will do me really.

Last edited by Bodger; 27-07-07 at 16:58.
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

No matter how good I wouldn't own a Skoda or a Ford I am not afraid of obscure brands, in fact all Alfa drivers are making a statement, whatever else we do in our lives we cannot be mainstream, Thats why so many Alfa drivers hate BMW's or their drivers, Fact is Bee Ems are probably the most effective means of getting around, I had one for 3 years and it was a good car, great to work on and well engineered, but no soul at all.
Alfas are all soul and they, like a sultry misstress, demand your attention and make demands on you all the time.

Bright Yella Fiat Stilo 3dr 1.9 jasons tractor diesel Cruise, dz climate, n leather, so many toys now with 17" claws
Sadly the STILO is for sale, I've now got a Renault Master beavertail
I pop in here to have a look now and again-but don't know what to say
Written off in the prime of life...My Bella.
2.5 V6 SP3 156 Cosmos Blue, Black Momo leather, Carbon dash.Freeflow cat, pipercross filter,Smoked repeaters, Scuddetto centre grill, blacked out side grille bars.

I like it to be exclusive. I cannot understand the fuss surrounding something like a 3-Series, you see SO many of them that you could describe them as 'common'.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

I'm not sure really. Reminds me of 2 joint managers I used to have in the mid 90's - both were on the same pay (and company car) grade but had a wide choice of vehicles. Martin chose a BMW 316se which was woefully underpowered and carried fairly average levels of kit, but it had "that" badge. Angus on the other hand liked his cars to be fairly quick but wasn't bothered at all by the badge so for his money he got a Mazda 626 2.0i with leather & all the toys. Back in the mid nineties (when cars were light, remember that?) 2 litres in a car was enough for some decent poke and the Mazda felt quick, whereas the BMW was very slow even compared to my company 1.6 Astra

BUT....

Whenever Martin went on holiday he lent me his car (to stick loads of business miles on) and I used to quite look forward to it as it obviously felt a bit special to be a 25 year old bloke in a brand new BMW. I never had any such hankerings for the Mazda though, even though it was probably by far the better car in all respects other than badge.

So I suppose that probably makes me a "yes". But now that I have a car that I actually WANT, as opposed to one forced upon me by an employer, I think a bit differently. I don't aspire to a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi, if I had to change I'd go for something INDIVIDUAL. So does that make me a badge snob? I dunno, I'd probably rather be a badge misfit tbh

- Keepin' it moist -
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
If I had to, I'd prefer to drive an Opel than a Vauxhall.

So, yes.
Yes, I think that

To me, when I hear the name Vauxhall I just have an image of 'medallion man' wearing brown cords, Wheres Opel just sounds a bit more 'sporty'

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
brand , car , snob

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page