Tour de France 2007 winner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Who's gonna win it??
Valverde - currently 1st of favorites 0 0%
Kashechkin - probably new Astana leader 0 0%
Menshov - remember that Vuelta??? 0 0%
Kloden - broken but still.... 0 0%
Sastre - struggled a bit on stage 8 0 0%
Contador - one of eurosport's favorites 3 30.00%
Vinokurov - Vino likes to surprise his fans 2 20.00%
Other... 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 15-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hmmm Tour de France 2007 winner

Who's gonna win it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: Tour de France 2007 winner

The one who took the best drugs?

(Post Link) post #3 of 30 Old 15-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
The one who took the best drugs?

probably!!!
So who's the one???
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

OK... I love watching the Tour..

All those pictures of places I've been... and roads I've driven.... Col D'aspin... the French Alps... Villers Cotterets

Fabulous

Then there are these cyclists..............and they apparently belong to teams that assist them to win...

My brother (a keen cyclist) seems to understand the tactics and methods that are used to win stages, special stages, King of the Mountains and other stuff that they do.... Green jersey, Yellow jersey, Polka Dot jersey....

My problem is quite simple.... I don't understand the methods that are used to give riders their times... how they work out who is in the lead... etc. etc.

None of the programmes I watch on TV seem to want to explain the system of scoring in use .......

So.... in my case "ignorance is bliss" I just keep watching the TV... I have no idea who is winning ............or who might win the Tour.

I have great respect for anyone who can cycle 2,500 miles in a fortnight... (drugs excluded)

So..... to answer your poll..... other

I have no idea..

But....

I love watching it on TV
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 15-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
My problem is quite simple.... I don't understand the methods that are used to give riders their times... how they work out who is in the lead... etc. etc.

None of the programmes I watch on TV seem to want to explain the system of scoring in use .......
well, looks like u want me to explain it to you

ok,
1. Tour de France has 4 classifications: yellow jersey ( overall and the most respected ), polka dot jersey ( for mountain kings), green jersey ( sprinters ) and white ( youngsters)
2. Yellow and White jerseys are like Rally!!! Times of all 18-22 Stages are added and the one who has best time gets the prize!!! If one stage isnt complited then rider cannot be classified...
3. Polka dot and Green jerseys - Formula 1!!! Riders get points on mountain finishes or stage finishes, the one who has most points gats prize!!!
Clear now??

Want to know more???
Just pay 9,99 pounds

BMW is for those who want a car like Alfa Romeo but has bad taste
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingashow View Post
Clear now??
Much Better... Thanks
Quote:
Want to know more???
Just pay 9,99 pounds
Errrrrr...... NO!

(Post Link) post #7 of 30 Old 15-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
Much Better... Thanks

Errrrrr...... NO!

ok, no payment for 1st time
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
ok, no payment for 1st time
Generous

Viva Le Tour
(Post Link) post #9 of 30 Old 19-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

hmm.....
I should have added Wiggins or Millar to make this poll popular
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I'm a serious leisure cyclist and follow the Tour on TV, but I don't claim to know enough about who might or might not win the various classifications (although I do understand the general rule, tactics etc).

I think it's a real spectacle and have nothing but admiration for the pain that these guys go through to get around France. It's just a shame that cycling seems to have been picked out as the sport with a problem, whereas I'm sure drug abuse is just about as widespread in many other sports.
mikebrown

not sure...

Nev

Heh Heh Heh, Told ya!

VO2Max

Pro Cycling must get its house in order or sponsors will walk away and it will die. The sooner certain stupid riders realise this, the better. And yes, there are many of them. All this crap about 'Joe Bloggs is taking stuff, I need to be on a level playing field' just won't wash any more. There is a changing environment but there will be many more shocks yet. It's like drink driving, it was accepted for years, not everyone did it but a blind eye was turned. Now, if you see someone drinking too much and you know they are going to get in their car, you tell them you are going to phone the Police. If they do, you do phone the Police! That's what Cycling, what any sport needs, zero tolerance.
There has been a big anti-doping operation in Spain, Operation Puerto. About 400 blood samples were found, held under code names. half of them were cyclists, half of them were Pro Circuit Tennis players, Footballers, Runners etc. There were arrests of the cyclists and they are being dealt with by the UCI and National Governing Bodies, bit by bit. All the other Sportspeople have been left untouched. That tells you something. Doping is endemic and it needs to be stamped out. Gary Player's Human Growth Hormone revelations about abuse in Golf have come as a big shock. It's seen as a 'lifestyle drug' and it has got in through the back door into Golf.
You'll never stop it entirely, in much the same way as you'll never stop murder, even in countries with the death penalty. But if the punishments are severe enough, the vast majority of people won't do it. It needs determination from sportspeople, sports teams and the governing bodies of those sports.

Getting back to the Poll though!... a very open race this year, hopefully not just who's taking the most stuff either...Contador or Valverde.

(Post Link) post #14 of 30 Old 22-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Agreed with VO2Max
Zero tolerance politics is needed to clean the sport...

Back to poll!!!
VO2Max is right again... This Year's Tour is open and now new rider's gettin in front - Cadel Evans.... he's jst minute away from yellow jersey and favorite to win the Tour for me... sorry for not including him in the poll!!!

btw... brit Wiggins was 5th yesterday... my congrt. to all his fans
VO2Max

...and congrats to Vino, your countryman, on his TT yesterday!

Yes, Valverde did a crap TT, Evans was impressive though. I'm so pleased about Wiggins, I would never have thought of him doing a good TT on that course over that distance. He has come of age on the road now, i think we'll see some impressive performances from him in addition to what he can do on the track...at last!

AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Spider 2.2 jts

I don't know anything about it! but hubby used to be a cyclist and thinks Vino could win but may now be a little bit too far back.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

No idea mate. Is Indurain still racing?

VO2Max

Indurain was a good 10 years ago! A phenomenal talent though, although I suspect, along with many other guys at the time, his haemocrit level was unfeasibly high (i.e. he was doping).
I met him once at the Tour of Valencia when I was on training camp just after he retired, nice guy, very humble. We used to see him riding in the mountains over the winter in his Banesto kit, training on his own, Johann Bruyneel too (current manager of Discovery and Lance's manager when it was US Postal).

AO Member

County: Queensland

Cadel Evans!
(Post Link) post #20 of 30 Old 24-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Indurain was a good 10 years ago! A phenomenal talent though, although I suspect, along with many other guys at the time, his haemocrit level was unfeasibly high (i.e. he was doping).
I met him once at the Tour of Valencia when I was on training camp just after he retired, nice guy, very humble.
Are you ex pro cyclist ???
(Post Link) post #21 of 30 Old 24-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
Cadel Evans!
Exactly!!! After Le Chicken and Contador will be disqualified for doping

btw I like Contador more and more... very agressive with great acceleration, tactically skillful, tireless ( probably doping is the reason )... time trial is his only weakness...

Rasmussen? Very good on this Tour but his 4 warnings.......http://eurosport.yahoo.com/24072007/...-warnings.html
(Post Link) post #22 of 30 Old 24-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
...and congrats to Vino, your countryman, on his TT yesterday!
Vino was outstanding that day...
maybe this is answer http://eurosport.yahoo.com/24072007/...ugs-shame.html
really shame about this...and still dont belive

Last edited by chingashow; 24-07-07 at 18:06.
mikebrown

love watching the tour...but now that Rasmussen has been kicked out with probably more to come..what is the point of it ?

VO2Max

Jens Voigt said it all today on ITV4. He is glad it's all coming out, he is fed up with all the lies and cover-ups, the cheats and the rest of it. He rides clean, he wants everyone else to ride clean. The riders' protest yesterday said it all, they are all heartily fed up with the crap. A lot of them will no doubt have taken/done stuff in the past, but now they want real change, and it is coming from the riders, the teams and the sponsors. All this crap about you can't ride the Tour on water and glucose...it's ********! Of course you bloody can, you just ride at 1mph slower, who gives a toss? Everyone wants a level playing field now and you know what the big difference is today? They used to call it spitting in the soup when someone spilled the beans about doping. Now they are realising that the dopers were p*ssing in the soup! There is a sea change, a revolution. Vive la Revolution!

VO2Max

Quote:
Vino was outstanding that day...
maybe this is answer http://eurosport.yahoo.com/24072007/...ugs-shame.html
really shame about this...and still dont belive
I'm sorry to say this Chingashow, I know that Astana are almost your Kazakh 'national team' but from the very beginning, I was suspicious of them. So many guys who were mysteriously dumped by T-Mobile when they decided to 'clean up their act' and they ended up in Astana.
I think anyone found guilty of doping now should be banned for life. Cycling is now hanging by a thread, it may even be dropped as an Olympic sport. Weekly tests for all Pro Teams, conducted independently, as T-Mobile are now doing. That is the only way to ensure clean riders.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
2007 , france , tour , winner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page