Who wants to give up our Nukes now ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Do you think we should give up our independent nuclear deterrent ?
Yes 5 18.52%
No 21 77.78%
Other 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 02-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Who wants to give up our Nukes now ?

There has always been a group of people who think giving up our independent nuclear deterrent would somehow make us safe. I've never believed this, I always thought if someone launched a first strike against us I would want to make sure they were blown to oblivion too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Why would anyone want to obliterate a whole country off? Really.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
No. Peace is through superior firepower or mutually assured destruction.
(Post Link) post #4 of 57 Old 02-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Why would anyone want to obliterate a whole country off? Really.
There are some bad and mad people in the world Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
The answer I was looking for
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
It's not something I'm happy about but I have to agree on this one.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
I disagree. Won't protect us from ISIS etc. nutjobs, or help us to influence or intervene in events in the mid-east etc., where I predict major conflict over water resources, let alone oil. It is in my view a white elephant which costs a fortune - I'd much rather see that money go on things like aircraft to fly off our carriers, better and more armoured personnel carriers and other military equipment etc. for our army, and more ships for the navy (including things like corvettes and frigates for shipping protection and anti-piracy duties in around the Gulf or off the coast of East Africa), let alone actually having enough actual sailors, soldiers and airmen. And that equipment should be designed and built in the UK, so we at least get some direct economic benefit (in supporting jobs/industry).

It may be my ignorance, but I'm not really sure it is independant anyway? Trident is an American system, needing American parts etc - could our govenrment actually order a first strike anyway without American approval/access codes? If the answer is no, then its not independant. Happy to be corrected on this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkiT View Post
I disagree. Won't protect us from ISIS etc. nutjobs, or help us to influence or intervene in events in the mid-east etc., where I predict major conflict over water resources, let alone oil. It is in my view a white elephant which costs a fortune - I'd much rather see that money go on things like aircraft to fly off our carriers, better and more armoured personnel carriers and other military equipment etc.
Wouldn't it make even more sense to spend the money on supplying food and water - thus avoiding conflict over water?
And education of the people being radicalised by extremist 'nutjobs'?
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
Many will think me naive but I'm fully with Chris on this.

Food, water, housing. Education.
(Post Link) post #9 of 57 Old 02-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Give it away when the French have it ! Never !

If the events in Ukraine have taught us anything it is that friends we have today can soon become enemies tomorrow.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
Wouldn't it make even more sense to spend the money on supplying food and water - thus avoiding conflict over water?
Point taken.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
Give it away when the French have it ! Never !
Zut alors - pas les Francais!!!

Beware, Rosbifs - soon the Vieille Alliance will be reborn! - all those new French nuclear submarines will be looking for a base - and Scotland may well soon have some empty births .

Is their "Force de dissuasion" actually independent? Home grown I would guess, at least.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
All safe here:

Nukes for 'leccy.
Nukes for pushing other countries around.

Sorted.

Last edited by TheGrimJeeper; 03-09-14 at 06:15.
Durty dog

Quote:
Perfect answer

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The answer IMO if for everyone to give them up.

But as long as other countries have them then we should have them as well.

The main problem is one day the time may come when some deranged nutter gets their hands on a few. They may not care about getting a few in return if they fire some off.

I am thinking of terrorists mostly in this instance.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

we need something to keep Shant away
AO Member

County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Imagine the worst...

Scotland go independant soon with Alex Salmond & a bitter and twisted Gordon Brown teaming up at Faslane in a Dr Strangelove type situation with England in their sights.

Imagine our proud nation with Barrow in Furness and Rotherham reduced to nuclear wastelands
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

To the OP, nuclear weapons are a 1950s answer to a 1950s problem, what is the point in having them today? If we ever did get to use them, it is more than likely that we would just expose ourselves to the dangers of retaliation and escalation and since I do not have a desire to experience the horror of a nuclear device exploding within 500 - 1,000 miles of Britain, or even most of Europe for that matter, we would be much better off spending money on a deterrent, such as Israel's iron dome, which intercepts missiles

We should spend the money on tools that are relevant to countering the threats we face today: better personal protection for those brave men and women who help to protect our country and giving them more ships, tanks, helicopters etc.

However, as others have pointed out, the best things to spend that money on, would be humanity - giving people abroad water, food and access to medicine where they need it and at home, doing something to help educate people to try and prevent them from whatever it is that makes them feel that they need to join an organisation whose sole intent appears to be the establishment of an undemocratic state and the imposition of their religious beliefs on innocent people.
AO Member

County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkers View Post

We should spend the money on tools that are relevant to countering the threats we face today: better personal protection for those brave men and women who help to protect our country and giving them more ships, tanks, helicopters etc.

However, as others have pointed out, the best things to spend that money on, would be humanity - giving people abroad water, food and access to medicine where they need it and at home, doing something to help educate people to try and prevent them from whatever it is that makes them feel that they need to join an organisation whose sole intent appears to be the establishment of an undemocratic state and the imposition of their religious beliefs on innocent people.
An admirable sentiment but I think you need to keep your "big guns" in reserve to avoid certain nations taking the mick to excess.

Quite why we need to spend so much money on the deterrent is another matter though, Trident seems to be a license to print money for the various parties involved as it gets upgraded every so often...I'd have thought the old Polaris job would have been fine if we were going for armageddon anyway?
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
I actually agree ref IS as you can't bomb an ideology.

The only way to tackle those ****ers is infiltration / operatives on the ground plus surgical air strikes.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
I hate the idea of nuclear weapons but they exist so no country can pretend otherwise.

The earlier posts about fanatical Muslims such as IS not having them so no longer relevant is short sighted and naive. IS already controls a land mass bigger than Belgium. If they continue they could become a state. Irrespective of that they have massive wealth. IF they got their hands on nuclear weapons I suggest it is a fair risk assessment to say they'd seriously consider using them against us or the US and any non Muslim state since their agenda is hate and our destruction. The prospect of fellow Muslims or their home lands being devastated in response is a deterrent.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Mooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
There has always been a group of people who think giving up our independent nuclear deterrent would somehow make us safe. I've never believed this, I always thought if someone launched a first strike against us I would want to make sure they were blown to oblivion too.
That isn't the point of an independent nuclear deterrent, is it?

Also, how independent do you think it is? Do you really think we have a unique and independent perspective on when might be the time to push the button?

Can you really think of a scenario we might use it?

I'm no lover of the military, but if you give yourself one massive baseball bat, and nothing smaller in terms of weaponry, isn't that just going to end badly for someone?

People aren't thinking this through at all.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkiT View Post
I disagree. Won't protect us from ISIS etc. nutjobs, or help us to influence or intervene in events in the mid-east etc., where I predict major conflict over water resources, let alone oil. It is in my view a white elephant which costs a fortune - I'd much rather see that money go on things like aircraft to fly off our carriers, better and more armoured personnel carriers and other military equipment etc. for our army, and more ships for the navy (including things like corvettes and frigates for shipping protection and anti-piracy duties in around the Gulf or off the coast of East Africa), let alone actually having enough actual sailors, soldiers and airmen. And that equipment should be designed and built in the UK, so we at least get some direct economic benefit (in supporting jobs/industry).

It may be my ignorance, but I'm not really sure it is independant anyway? Trident is an American system, needing American parts etc - could our govenrment actually order a first strike anyway without American approval/access codes? If the answer is no, then its not independant. Happy to be corrected on this.
All of the above.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Faromeo View Post
Many will think me naive but I'm fully with Chris on this.

Food, water, housing. Education.
And this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Over the years we have eroded our overall military capability. The Tories have taken the armed forces apart limb from limb and retained the option of nuclear deterrent. To be fair, Labour are complicit also. Other NATO countries have done likewise to some degree, I think.

As Starkers says, the deterrent was always the unthinkable response to the unthinkable outrage - mutually assured destruction. There is no tactical aspect to the weaponry other than that.

The real world is tactical and strategic and complex. It's politics and nationalism and religion and factions. It's ideology and self-interest. It's a combination of all of the best and worst of human traits - and the answer, if all of that boils down to something outrageous, is what? A massive thermonuclear strike aimed at the very heart of what?

At people who are being subjugated by ISIS but who just happen to exist close to the centre of ISIS power? There's a lot of collateral potential when the only hammer you've got reckons at 100 megatons x 8. Nagasaki about 20 megatons I think.

The answer, if there ever is one, is around politics, international relations, diplomacy, charity, humanity, friendship and negotiation.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkers View Post
To the OP, nuclear weapons are a 1950s answer to a 1950s problem, what is the point in having them today? If we ever did get to use them, it is more than likely that we would just expose ourselves to the dangers of retaliation and escalation and since I do not have a desire to experience the horror of a nuclear device exploding within 500 - 1,000 miles of Britain, or even most of Europe for that matter, we would be much better off spending money on a deterrent, such as Israel's iron dome, which intercepts missiles

Nuclear weapons are a defensive weapon, they don't get used in aggressive behaviour and even in the conflicts around the world today no one has even uttered the words ' we are going to nuke you'

the term used is MAD , mutually assured destruction, it balances the status quo.

Iron dome only has a 4km interception range.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
give , nukes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page