The 2015 General Election - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for in 2015?
Green 1 3.57%
Labour 8 28.57%
LibDem 0 0%
Tory 11 39.29%
UKIP 2 7.14%
Other 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 56 Old 01-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Crazed The 2015 General Election

It's just a few months away now.....and already the game is afoot. In the first of a series of deeply maddening polls.......I invite you to indicate your intent, and your reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Because I could never vote for a party whose aims and ideals are so far from my own as the tories. Libdems can never be forgiven for their pact with satan. Ukip - see tory comment. Greens- what exactly are their policies on issues with **** all to do with trees?
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Too early to say.

AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Anyone but labour.

Labour are the ones that want to introduce satellite tracking/pay per mile driving, they are the reason Motoring costs are so high.

Under the tories we have had:

Re-introduction of the rolling tax exemption of classic cars
Almost every planned fuel duty rise scrapped
Only a tiny increase in fuel prices compared to the massive rises under the last few years of labour
I don't recall an increase in VED.

Of course there is more to politics than motoring costs. As this is a car forum my responce is based on that.

The conservatives have had the hardest term ever, with the cuts that were needed they were guarenteed to **** everyone off. now that things are finally looking up are we going to kick them out and give Labour the credit?

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Quaife diff, Wizard SS manifolds, Scorpion SS downpipes, Scorption GTA catback, Bilstein b4 Dampers, braided brake lines, MTEC drilled disks, Red Stuff pads.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

I really want to vote for what the parties say they are going
to do from the election onwards rather than for what they
have done in the past.

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I really want to vote for what the parties say they are going
to do from the election onwards rather than for what they
have done in the past.
Unfortunately I think what they have done in the past (for those who have a track record) may well be an indicator of what they will do - or how effectively they will do it, in the future.

As I said in the "UKIP" thread - I think we need to see what the prospecti say, however, if only to attempt to read between the lines.

In reality, living where I do, where a Lib Dem scraped in last time because of Labour's Kitty Ussher's expenses scandal, I guess its a two horse race.......certainly in the local elections they were the only two parties standing.

I'm not likely to vote Labour.

But its way too early.........we are over 10 months away.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #7 of 56 Old 01-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
10 months isn't far away - but plenty of time, I suppose, for a war, terrorist attack, a few scandals, and a lot of phoney baloney
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
My Conservative MP has a greater majority than Red Ed and its been a safe Tory seat since the 50s. Not sure whether to bother or not? I don't really feel at home supporting any of the existing UK political parties, but would rather another 5 years of blue/yellow Coalition than anything else that seems possible.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Harold said that a week is a long time in politics.

(Post Link) post #11 of 56 Old 01-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
You dirty old man.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

(Post Link) post #13 of 56 Old 02-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Part of the reason I posted this up so early in the process (and we are on a media conveyor belt) is because I wondered if people might, over time, volunteer the analysis that leads them up to a decision on polling day. Putting it another way - will people weigh it up over time and gradually find themselves gravitating to one political party? Alternatively, will they mull it over, seeing points (and weakness) in several parties arguments, and find themselves unable to fix their voting intentions until late on (possibly until the moment they are in the booth, staring at names)? Could it be that they are fixed in their intent already? If that is the case, what would sway them (if anything)?

I've been interested in politics since my early teens (born in '67 so I achieved some shallow political awareness during Thatcher's first term of office - which surely was influential). I've always considered the Liberal option, but being pragmatic - once I achieved voting age, it was clear to me that (living in a historical marginal) my vote would be wasted in that context. If I want my vote to count I have two options: 1) vote tory or labour; or 2) try to reshape the local politics. I've only ever voted Labour (apart from a euro election once when I voted green). My intent is more nuanced and pragmatic than "indoctrinated from birth" but there is definitely an element of that, I'm sure.

Personalities at a national level never come into it. Locally I'm not sure they would either. Having said that, when I started voting our local MP was Michael Fallon and if ever there was a little twerp who might be well-placed to reinforce anti-Tory feeling, he was it.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Garage
I will be voting for the encumbant MP for my area, not because I like his party leader or policies, but because the guy is a damn good MP. He has a good twitter account and does loads for charity, is in a band and has just been promoted within his party to a high up position. I'm lucky he is the MP for my area I suppose, as this is a safe seat and a chimp with no head would be elected if it stood for that party in this area.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
Could it be that they are fixed in their intent already? If that is the case, what would sway them (if anything)?
I tend to believe that a high proportion of regular voters are fixed already - and probably always have been. Floating voters by definition are swayable, but party electoral "bribes" can be dangerous, with a tendency to backfire

Quote:
I've always considered the Liberal option, but being pragmatic - once I achieved voting age, it was clear to me that (living in a historical marginal) my vote would be wasted in that context.
This is an argument I've always been irritated with.....how many other voters (who voted red or blue) felt the same way? You either vote for the party who closest meet your views, or accept that what you are doing is voting tactically - against the party you don't want. The number of people I've met over the years who've told me - "I'd vote Liberal but it'd be a wasted vote" ......

Quote:
Personalities at a national level never come into it. Locally I'm not sure they would either. Having said that, when I started voting our local MP was Michael Fallon and if ever there was a little twerp who might be well-placed to reinforce anti-Tory feeling, he was it.
I think you are unusual if not influenced by national personalities - after all, if your chosen party are elected you know who's going to be Prime Minister......I'm sure that most people vote for a party rather than whoever is standing locally - probably sensibly, since most MPs toe the party line when it comes to voting in the House, although I would be much happier voting for an MP who was active in promoting constituency issues rather than one pursuing their own political promotion interests.
(Post Link) post #16 of 56 Old 04-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
[QUOTE=rgwm;9505530]This is an argument I've always been irritated with.....how many other voters (who voted red or blue) felt the same way? You either vote for the party who closest meet your views, or accept that what you are doing is voting tactically - against the party you don't want. The number of people I've met over the years who've told me - "I'd vote Liberal but it'd be a wasted vote" ......

I agree. It's not an entirely comfortable option from a philosophical point of view, but that's pragmatism for you. In reality the decision taken is more nuanced, as I said. I genuinely feel that the bedrock of my decision is based on a viewpoint arrived at by a combination of background, study, debate. For me, the values come first. I agree that personalities can be an influencing factor - and sometimes they can get you to the same place. I didn't like Thatcher because of what she stood for. I found fault in Neil Kinnock, John Prescott et al. but it didn't stop me voting for what I thought was right at the time.

I'll admit that it was a happy coalition of conviction and enthusiasm in '97 that conveyed me to the ballot box.

I suppose one of my underlying themes is......how important is the figurehead to people? After reading a manifesto, checking out a track record, looking at the team in place and considering the local context - how much difference does it make if the physical characteristics, body language, speech etc. isn't pleasing?
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

[QUOTE=steveisfrowning;9508242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
This is an argument I've always been irritated with.....how many other voters (who voted red or blue) felt the same way? You either vote for the party who closest meet your views, or accept that what you are doing is voting tactically - against the party you don't want. The number of people I've met over the years who've told me - "I'd vote Liberal but it'd be a wasted vote" ......

I agree. It's not an entirely comfortable option from a philosophical point of view, but that's pragmatism for you. In reality the decision taken is more nuanced, as I said. I genuinely feel that the bedrock of my decision is based on a viewpoint arrived at by a combination of background, study, debate. For me, the values come first. I agree that personalities can be an influencing factor - and sometimes they can get you to the same place. I didn't like Thatcher because of what she stood for. I found fault in Neil Kinnock, John Prescott et al. but it didn't stop me voting for what I thought was right at the time.

I'll admit that it was a happy coalition of conviction and enthusiasm in '97 that conveyed me to the ballot box.

I suppose one of my underlying themes is......how important is the figurehead to people? After reading a manifesto, checking out a track record, looking at the team in place and considering the local context - how much difference does it make if the physical characteristics, body language, speech etc. isn't pleasing?
I think we'll soon see on that front. I don't find Milliband all that pleasing in that he's a bit wet and lacking in any sort of Charisma. However I find Cameron (who will turn up anywhere with a vacant grin - "I think it's very important that peopole see me at events grinning/wringing my hands/ frowning as appropriate to show that we're all in this together.) Vacuous. Osborne (who will turn up anywhere and promise them a high speed rail link - "Imagine if you could get from Bolton to Manchester in 7 minutes instead of the 18 it currently takes. Imagine the possibilities.") is utterly abhorrent to me. If it was the other way around I doubt it would make any difference to because the core values and priorities of the Tories are still so far removed from my own.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Member

County: Essex
They all make me feel sick, but an unused vote is something I disagree with, no matter how bad our politicians are.
I currently see Labour as the best out of a bunch of crooked thieves.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Conservative, and it's easy. Personally I have faired better under them than the others. My Dad would turn in his urn. Sorry Dad
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Tory for me.My local MP is very much his own man and pretty much aligned with my views.
AO Gold Member

Heavens - I thought you earned infraction points on here if you voted Tory.......

I see the papers today have been trying to splash UKIP policy - but in the small print had to point out that the manifesto won't be published until September at least. I still expect that it will be light on a whole range of topics.........

Whether that is better than being deceitful as most manifestos are is another matter, of course
(Post Link) post #22 of 56 Old 10-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I rather suspect conservative (small "c") voters are in the majority, Richard, and there are more of (a subsection of) them not dying all the time....

This may become an increasingly influential factor. We'll never know from a statistical perspective, just opinion polls. People are arguably liable to develop conservative behaviours and outlooks in later life.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
People are arguably liable to develop conservative behaviours and outlooks in later life.
There's still time for you then
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
I rather suspect conservative (small "c") voters are in the majority, Richard, and there are more of (a subsection of) them not dying all the time....

This may become an increasingly influential factor. We'll never know from a statistical perspective, just opinion polls. People are arguably liable to develop conservative behaviours and outlooks in later life.
I would certainly say that resembles me.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Hmmmm, let me see;

Expenses, Ilegal war, slow sell off of the NHS, Paedophilia, Trident replacement, 2x over budget Aircraft carriers that need a refit before the are put in service and will have no aircraft on them before 2020, 1 in 6 children born in to poverty......

You guys won't mind if I chose a different path?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
2015 , election , general

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page