Is Israel Correct in Its Actions? :confused: - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: IS ISRAEL CORRECT IN ITS ACTIONS??
Yes. 34 31.78%
No. 61 57.01%
Other. Please explain. 12 11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 169 Old 14-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -
Hmmm Is Israel Correct in Its Actions? :confused:

With a worsening situation in the middle east and the potential for Iran and Syria to be drawn in, have the Israeli government done the right thing.

Been doing some reading up of the history and have been alarmed at what's been happening, both in Israel and also Lebanon.

Also, it's worth noting that the price of oil went up AGAIN this morning - A direct result of this situation...

Bit of a more serious poll than normal, but it's getting pretty nasty over there for all sides involved.

Interested to hear the comment of the AO.

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 335d XD ->BMW 440i->Merc AMG

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Is Israel Correct in Its Actions? :confused:

Israel has the right to defend itself but not to go and blow up innocent people, airports etc etc and its not exactly going to deflate the situation.

It will be very scary if Syria and/or Iran get involved – Israel is already disliked by many Middle East countries.

As for oil price, don’t be surprised if it reaches $100/barrel in the not too distant future

Last edited by Pascs; 14-07-06 at 14:18.
AO Silver Member

I think the Israelis overstep the mark at times - ironically I think the groundswell of opinion was moving against their harsh treatment of the Palestinians before a certain lunatic murdered thousands of westerners in their name, but that set the clock back.

This time, though, they can crack on. They withdrew from Lebanon, they withdrew from Gaza, and what do they get? Endless bombings and rocket attacks, and then encroachment into their territory to kill and kidnap soldiers. I wish more of the leftie namby pambies that seem to be so anti-Israel in the UK would sometimes question why they support states and groups that sponsor terrorism, have the same views about the jewish race that Hitler did, and blatantly desire the destruction of the state of Israel.

Sadly, I can't see a good outcome for this one. One side needs to stop using terrorism as a tool, openly desiring the destruction of a sovereign state and genocide, and the other side needs to stop flexing its muscles at every opportunity. That's easier said than done.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I think Israel has thew right to defend itself, but from what I understand Israel as a state was formed on land taken from the Palestinians. So basically although Israel are defnding their state, the Palestinians are only trying to get back what was theirs. It is a tricky situation, so I wouldn't want to say either way to be honest.

Maybe if Iran gets involved though us brits may not have to spend millions of taxpayers money bombing or invading that country also as it is coming the way George Bush is going.

Last edited by symon; 14-07-06 at 19:44.
mikebrown

dont give a s**t really

AO Silver Member

Other.
This poll has the potential to upset people and the circumstances out there are so complicated I dont understand it. So I think I'll sit on the fence.
AO Platinum Member

I'm with Swanny. I think Israel does have a right to defend itself, but frankly I don't know enough to comment on whether they've used reasonable force or have gone a bit OTT.
VO2Max

I'll come off the fence and say that I think the Israeli stance is normally too hardline and that their response to 'antagonism' by the Palestinians is itself, verging on terrorism. Apart from all the bombing and shooting, flying Military aircraft over the general population at supersonic speeds to scare the sh*t out them with sonic booms? Come on!

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

widebody sud ti

dont really know enough to comment but i do worry when a potential war may start because all the other people that get dragged in to it .
ive got a 6 month old girl and a 20 month old girl that i worry what kind of world they are growing up in .
im 34 i left school in 1988 it amazes me how the world has changed since i left school there is people gettting stabbed and shot and teenagers out in town in gangs trying to intimidate you and as soon as you report them to the police they dont much as there hands are tied .
i worry for my kids future when im not here and the main reason that there is trouble in the world is religion.

AO Member

I think they're absolutely nuts on their behaviour, and the irony of moving from opressed to opressor is not lost in me
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Like all conflicts the reasons go way back............. 2000 years............. or to 1948 or whenever you want to pick a period to justify the fighting today.

I'm afraid that like most problems........... the politics will blur the truths of the people who live there and will not reflect the true cause of the fighting or the aims of the "interested" parties.

Each side has its grievances...... and each side will be "right" from its own perspectives.

Politics will will dictate the course of the conflict.......... the USA backs Israel and there is oil in the area............ need I say more.

No side has clean hands............. all we can do is to hope that the politicians can sort this problem. [does that worry you.....it worries me!]

I remember a book by Arthur C Clarke that was written in the 1960's that talked about the "Oil Wars" of the 90's...... He may have got the date wrong .............. but that's where we are heading
bravo605

Hmmm Re: Is Israel Correct in Its Actions? :confused:

I am also on the fence.

I simply don't have enough info and knowledge of the historie to judge it.
However I don't believe that bombing somebody will make them wanna talk peace with you.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green cloverleaf pat
im 34 i left school in 1988 it amazes me how the world has changed since i left school there is people gettting stabbed and shot and teenagers out in town in gangs trying to intimidate you and as soon as you report them to the police they dont much as there hands are tied .
But has it though? I left school in 1981, and I can remember people talking about gangs trying to intimidate you - punk rock was seen as heralding the end of civilization, football violence was epidemic, and people got shot, bombed and stabbed. I'm not convinced things are really that different, I just thik as you get older you become more conscious of these events.
mikebrown

with the introduction of satelite television and 24hr news channels...they have to fill the slots..i am not altogether convinced there is any more violence around today..its just that its reported far more effectively

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa20V
With a worsening situation in the middle east and the potential for Iran and Syria to be drawn in, have the Israeli government done the right thing.
Iran and Syria are already involved. They support Hamas(Palestine) and Hezbollah(Lebanon) which are responsible for the kidnappings of Israeli soldiers and firing (Russian made) rockets into Israeli civilians. The overreaction from Israel is predictable. Israel was passive for a while and kept their distance but obviously Hamas still wanted to play "war" with Israel. After they withdrew from Palestine the rocket attacks on Israel continued then the kidnapping of an Israeli soldier (hamas) and then finally (Lebanon) hezbollah killed 8 and kidnapped two more soldiers - the final straw that broke the camel’s back. They obviously want to draw Israel back into Palestine. This all means the cycle of violence is active again and of course this equates to more deaths among civilians(especially Palestinians).So what else is new?

Last edited by PeterWolf; 15-07-06 at 02:36.
AO Gold Member

The Jews were apart of the original Cainanite inhabitants of the region (there is evidence that they were the same people but just followed a different religion) and were ousted by the Romans about 2000 yeas ago and the area became part of the greater Roman empire . The area largely became Christian as did most of the Middle Eastuntil the area was conquered by the Arabs and the people converted as much as possible, to Islam largely through discrimination and heavy taxes on non Muslims. This makes the current Muslim (Al Quaeda) claim that they are fighting to free Muslim areas a bit of a joke becasue Palestine was not originally Muslim. Youi could argue that the Jews have freed the area from the Mulsim invaders and it would be about as logical .........

When Iran gets nuclear weopons I cannot see how the middle east is going to be any more stable. If the Iranians used a Nuclear weopon on Israel then the Israeli Navy nuclear armed submarines would probably reduce Iran's major cities to ash in retaliation.

Remember the Jewish people have been waiting for their messiah for a long time and their idea of a Messiah is one who would free them from servitude on Earth and not a Jesus figure.....

Peace in the Midlle east...no way unless you have a few dozen neutron bombs

Nev

One of the main issues is that the UK is directly responsible for
the situation in the Middle East.

During WWI the government promised the Arabs a united
homeland if the rose up and help fight the Turks. A promise
that they never had any intention of keeping.

When the British Mandate ran out the Brits just pulled
out and left them to it. (Don't forget that they were dealing
with contant attacks from the likes of Irgun.)
With no overall control in Palestine, all the surrounding countries
declared war. A war they lost, leading to the foundation
of Israel.

Couple this with the fact that the UK and US have recently invaded a
soverign country (Iraq), for NO VALID reason and basicially
destroyed it and you end up with a normally agressive
Israel seeing no reason why they should hold back when provoked.

Last edited by Nev; 16-07-06 at 15:04. Reason: Correct Iran to Iraq

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Innocent's are getting killed out there. It's like trying to kill a single fly with a scattergun.

I agree that the TV chanells love all this & people "get off" on watching it.

No doubt the UK will get involved soon too.......
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

My solution for peace: drop a dozen neutron bombs on Israel/Palestine, pave the whole god damn country and create LOTS of parking space. Then we finally have peace in the middle east.....and LOTS of parking space

What a fooked up promised land it is!

By the way, I voted yes, but of course I'm totally against the absolute absurd "declaration of war" from the side of Israel. They're as bad as the so called "terrorist" they fight.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaddison

I agree that the TV chanells love all this & people "get off" on watching it.
Good point. Voyeur war reporting.

I rememeber when a news report about trouble in the Middle East
consisted of a crackly phone report and a stock picture of the
reporter and the city they were reporting from.

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

I find it plainly ridiculous that all our countries are sitting and watching.
I find it ridiculous that nowadays, with the excuse of 'terror'... some countries feel entitled to invade other countries and kill their civilians (distinguish that from terrorism...) (and the track record of these invasions is not good. Afghanistan, still going on in the background... Iraq, we all hate Saddam, but the justification of the invasion was based on weapons they did not have, so it became a 'liberation'... now Lebanon?!?) I think the use of force is becoming like the quick and easy solution as with the use of high-tech weapons and professional armies people are becoming insensitive to war and deaths.
Also, explain to me what rights does Israel have to violate a soverign country's air and naval spaces, enforce embargos etc... again, if Lebanon had a good army, they would just whip them out, but this is a big boy-small boy situation again... What saddens me is that no-one is really interested in solving the problem, as long as we all get oil...
Slightly ironic... the Lebanese made a fuss to get Syria out and now Israel is back in.... mmmhhhh... it's all sooooo messed up.

(disclaimer: I have many friends from Israel and other middle eastern countries and like/respect all sides)

anything that moves using more than 4 legs, flies and is not a bird and/or is too small to be turned into a burger, should be vacuumed.

RIP: Alfa 145 1.6 Junior (Bella), Alfa 145 1.9 TD (Bianca), Alfa 145 1.9 TD (no name...), Alfa 147 1.6 (Camilla), Alfa 147 1.6 (no name...), Alfa 147 1.9 JTD (Contessa)

Havent voted as its too complicated a situation...certainly if your attacked fighting back is reasonable, but i can longer remember who fired first...

I think the saddest part is that Lebbanon should be (and once was) a peaceful, beautiful country on the east coast of the med. Will it ever be again
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I voted 'Other' because I think the Israelies do have the right to defend themselves but also think, at times, they go OTT.

I think part of the problem is that they get USA backing to much and are the only 'super' power in that area and IMHO they can be a bit to arrogant because of this.

I think this goes to show that the change from Clinton to Bush had dire consequences for the world in general
(Post Link) post #24 of 169 Old 16-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev
Couple this with the fact that the UK and US have recently invaded a
soverign country (Iran), for NO VALID reason and basicially
destroyed it

Surely you mean Iraq Nev

@Everyone else - some very interesting and valid points there....

As the BBC reports:
"Rockets fired by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon have killed at least nine people and wounded dozens of others in the coastal Israeli city of Haifa."

Seems to be getting worse...
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa20V
Surely you mean Iraq Nev

Whoops! slip of the keyboard. Yes Iraq.

Although if things carry on the way they are, maybe
in a year or two.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
actions , confused , correct , israel