New TV Screen - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: what type of screen to get
LCD 10 55.56%
PLASMA 4 22.22%
REAR PROJECTION 0 0%
OTHER 4 22.22%
OTHER OTHER 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

mikebrown

New TV Screen

what do i get..its so fecking confusing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: New TV Screen

Currently have a square Sony triniton 28" with 26" visible screen...wanna upgrade to widescreen..we live in a cottage style property so dont want a blimming 50" ..looking for either a 32 or 37" but am unsure about the type of screen

cheers for any help

oh yeah currys/comet want circa 300 pounds for 5 year cover...is it a fecking rip off or money well spent ?

AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Id go for a 30" HD ready LCD

we upgraded from a 28" Panasonic CRT to a Toshiba 27" LCD, The bonus is the TV is now mounted on the chimney breast! Its not in the far corner of the room so Its closer and therfore appears bigger! I think a 32" might have been slightly better but I'm more than happy with what i've got.

Good Luck Finding one you like.

PS Connections are all important make sure you have HDMI/ DVI, VGA, SCART and Component video
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Rather than a rear projector can't you get those projectors that are seperate and then have a pull down screen?

Oh I voted other
mikebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg
Rather than a rear projector can't you get those projectors that are seperate and then have a pull down screen?

Oh I voted other

i think that is okay for a large room..mine is cottage size..basically small...20 x 16 ft

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

If you want that size, go for LCD. I have a plasma that's 'blimming 50"' but that's in a dedicated room on its own, and I wouldn't put it in a living room. Also, plasmas under 43" aren't worth bothering with.

If you can afford it, go with Sony. Their Bravias are superb, but expensive. If you do go for a plasma, Pioneers are superb. Also, make sure whatever you get is HD ready, because the Beeb are already trialling it and I don't think it'll be long before it's commonplace.

Yep, get the TFT LCD, the prices are dropping fairly quickly (next screen size up each year) - and the size gives you way more space. 32s are good now.
AO Member

LCD, Sony Bravia with HDMI.

Always one of if not the best option available, excellent design, overall good quality (image included).

For that room size, over 32" will be excessive.

Remember the viewing distance IS important and specially for TV programs where you should expect some disappointment if you don't have HDTV.

This website will help you on the distance issues:

Selecting the correct LCD TV screen size

You can enter the screen size and calculate the distance and also the other way around, enter the distance to calculate the screen size.

Best of luck.

Zee
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Zee
This website will help you on the distance issues:

Selecting the correct LCD TV screen size
Thanks Zee !!

I'm on the brink of moving up to an LCD HD unit, the only problem being which size to go for.... now I know exactly which size I need

AM
AO Platinum Member

The simple answer is don't buy one yet!

A friend of mine who knows about these things said that at the moment its not certain what type of HD will be used. You might end up buying the wrong type of HD ready TV. Wait until its all been sorted, they'll be cheaper then too
Nev

I'm still not convinced by LCD.
I think they're forcing it on the consumer because
it's an easier fabrication process for them.

Recently replaced my old Grundig with an
LG LCD. It looks cool, but the picture resolution
just isn't that good for "HD" IMHO.

At work I do a lot of in close-in layout editing
and you just can't beat a CRT for resolution.

Samsung have just brought out an HD CRT
for about 300 quid. If I hadn't needed
to replace my TV I'd have waited for that.

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg

A friend of mine who knows about these things said that at the moment its not certain what type of HD will be used. You might end up buying the wrong type of HD ready TV. Wait until its all been sorted, they'll be cheaper then too
Thanks.... I guess I can wait for a while
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev
but the picture resolution
just isn't that good for "HD" IMHO.
are you feeding it an HD signal or normal connection?
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Depends on how you want to use it. It's a bit of a minefield to be honest and if you buy the wrong one you'll be ****ed off with it. There are Pro's and Cons to each variant of screen, for a lot of home cinema geeks it all revolves around the question "How black is the black?".

LCD displays offer probably the most flexibility as most will take a computer signal as well as a television signal, picture quality is only as good as what you put in though. A good terrestrial TV signal on a CRT TV can look atrocious on a LCD/Plasma and you should only really look at the flat displays if you have a good quality digital signal such as Sky or Cable. LCD doesn't do black as well as Plasma or CRT so you tend to get quite washed out colours because of the lack of contrast.

Plasma are generally large displays 36" and above although I have seen them smaller.

CRT's still have the best picture quality but there is a limit to the size you can make CRT's due to produciton restraints.

Check out these sites for more info

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-...html?tag=back2

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Hope this helps

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg

That's debatable, Gary. There's already two 'types' of HD and any HD Ready TV can support both. Briefly, there's 1080 interlaced lines of resolution (1080i), or 720 lines of progressively-scanned resolution (720p). Any HD ready telly can do both, and certainly Sky alternate between both depending on what they're showing, and an HD Ready TV switches automatically.

Only question mark is whether 1080 lines, progressively scanned (1080p), will become the norm, but that could take 10-15 years to sort, and broadcasters would need a whole new set of equipment to show it.

All in all, I think buying an HD Ready set is as future-proof as you can get.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire

Assuming you want a moster. DLP rear projection actually has best pic quality by far! Plasma's are fantastic and a good one should last 20yrs! If you want plasma go go for the pioneer! DLP are awsome BUT they use a bulb which needs to be replaced costing on average £400! Sony have a 50" DLP for £1000 which is a bargain 5yr warrenty! Although i thought the picture was a little dull but that just may have been the room!

Samsung do a really, really good DLP 50". Look on ebay you can get some brand new stuff at a good price! Ebuyer alsos a good place to hunt they may have what you want.

What size is you room!

LCD are really good, if you have a HD connection to them! Digital picture is good, but you can get a lot more out of them!

If i wanted large id go for DLP, 43" - plasma any smaller LCD.
VO2Max

I think it's optimistic to expect a plasma TV to last 20yrs!

Regarding HD, although an 'HD ready TV' will show both formats, it obviously won't show the higher resolution format to its best advantage if it's designed to work at the lower resolution. I'd be inclined to go for the higher resolution to be sure. Future DVD players will be seen at their best too. As far as I know, broadcasters investing in new equipment will buy stuff that shoots at the higher resolution. It will then be tweaked (or not tweaked) to suit the chosen broadcast format.

Finally, Freeview will start going HD in 2 or 3 years as more frequencies become available with the turn off of analogue services.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaMartini
Thanks Zee !!
You're welcome. It really is useful.

On the buy don't buy issue...

If you want to wait for better at lower price, you will be waiting forever, as it will take years (long years) for this technology to stop developing and reach a stable path.

They will become better and better and the prices will go down on older models but not on the new ones.

Same thing as PC's, mobile phones, etc. etc. etc.

Zee
AO Silver Member

County: South Yorkshire

I have a 52" Toshiba DLP RPTV for day to day use and a Sanyo Z3 projector with an 8ft screen for movie watching and gaming

Both are HD ready (720p/1080i) and will be used for HD-DVD and BluRay shortly.

It may be worth waiting until more 1080p capable displays are available but 720p still looks amzing compared to SD stuff and you wouldn't be disapointed with it.

I have never been a fan of plasma panels and even the major manufactures have now admitted that they just can't fix some of the inherant failings that plasma displays have. I much prefer LCD displays and now that costs are coming down for the larger ones I would go for one of those if you wanted a nice thin panel. DLP or LCD Rear pro sets have always been my favourite though...they still have their own share of problems (oil painting, rainbows, blurring...) so if you want a BIg screen then I would go for one of those...but if you want a REALLY big screen then ront projection is the only way! Once you have plyed an XBox 360 on an eight foot screen anything less just isn't the same
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire

Maybe, lol! dont know if they actually will! BUT the new top end plasmas should last about that long! based on avarage use! 8ft projetor take the ****! next world cup where off to yours! I agree with Jason plasma are not all that great, although when conncted to HD pics are smooth and vibe!
mikebrown

cheers everyone for your input...i am going to be busy hunting around this weekend

All TVs are only as good as the media being viewed on them, I personally have a 42" plasma mounted on my wall, to replace a 28" Sony Trintron CRT, the picture is not as crisp. However bear in mind if you blow up a photo double the size it was originally intended for, you will see pixellation also. As the media improves on the TV so too will the picture on your TV, when I view the PC on the plasma, it is crisp. I chose the plasma over the LCD as I have a long room and the LCD does not perform as well when looking at the screen at an angle. I also found that the LCDs were well pricey over 32" and wanted that bit more for my money. I run everything on the screen including my PC, which was a buying point for me as there is nothing more relaxing for me than playing online poker from the comfort of your living room armchair.
This is the 2nd plasma I have had, the first one was a Phillips and of the first generation of Plasmas. It was not the best, I took it back after a month due to the poor performance. I then weighed out a fair wedge more to get a current generation HD ready Hitachi. Money well spent. It is ten times better than my original purchase. Moral of the story being, weigh up what you want to achieve and scrutinize the options within your budget, with the help of reviews. Richer sounds are a good port of call (very reasonable, helpful and knowledgeable), have used them for years with no quibbles (And no I don't work for them) for audio visual equipment.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page