If you own a garage... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: What's in your garage?
Car 23 57.50%
Junk 14 35.00%
Other 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

EddieGTA

If you own a garage...

...what do you keep in it?

I am amazed how many people I see with garages that don't put their car in them. All the houses here have off street parking, many if not most have a garage also. The thing is, I have seen one car go in or out of one. I haven't put the GTA in ours yet because the previous owners built a partition wall to make a playroom for their kids. There are a few that have gone the whole hog and changed it into a habitable room, the previous owners here tried and failed to do the same.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Double garage

No cars

The 'effin doors are too small

We have had a thread on here before saying if you garage your car overnight your insurance can be more than if it is parked on the drive.

Reason: more likely to scrape it (fully comp policies)

I need a bigger 'ole.
AO Member

County: Greater London
went for junk but most of it is car parts and tools, not enough room for the car, it's one of those on the list to do, that never happens.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Could do with an option for car plus other.

Ours was built in the early '70s and has enough room for two chest freezers, the garden tools including mower and barrow, a run of cupboards and a small log stack (for the wood burner) plus the Saxo. At a pinch I could probably replace the Saxo with the Giulietta but then it might be difficult to get to one of the freezers.
crazycarb

Spider in the garage...GTVv6 under a cover, Clio RS outside, Transit outside, spider & GTV projects outside.
Tools etc. are all neatly stored in bookcases etc at front of garage.

AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

It used to have a car in it, but it was a Mini, so probably counts as junk. There are bits of cars, tools, tool boxes, shelves with paint, grease etc on them, work becnhes, garden tools, bikes, general stuff and things I keep that might one day be useful.

It has been used as a spray booth and for work on cars in the past.

Both cars are in daily use so using the garage would be a fag. The garage also gets damp in winter so any cars left in there tend to get covered in condsensation. I suspect that being outside is better for them.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
No garage

But, as cars have grown bigger sector by sector over the years, garages seem to have stayed the same size
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Most modern houses with attached garages, the garage is far to small. I know some that need you to have a sun roof, as, once the car's in there, you can't open the doors
Maybe you're supposed to push the car in :loony:
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

My garage just fits the GTA. You have to park right against one wall, and have a bumpstrip on the opposite wall so you can open the door without damaging it.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
I cannot get any of our cars to fit in our garage.
It is far too narrow

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I'm quite lucky that even though the house is a 'new build' the double garage fits the Cup and the Spider side by side plus a shelving system that runs in a U shape down both side walls and along the back.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Now everyone's going to buy a house in Dorset
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Frank View Post
Most modern houses with attached garages, the garage is far to small. I know some that need you to have a sun roof, as, once the car's in there, you can't open the doors
Maybe you're supposed to push the car in :loony:
No, drive it!

Old Man Parks Tiny Car In Small Garage - YouTube

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
"Car" but I'm stretching credibility as it's the Bertie and that only just fits. The two daily drivers sit on the drive and outside the house.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
I keep the car in the garage, thanks to having a small car.

Our house was built in the mid-1960s, when cars were a lot narrower than they are now. Mt DS3 is 1715mm wide, around 5' 7" in Imperial units - that's wider than a Mk2 Jaguar & only an inch or so narrower than big 1960s cars such as Ford Zephyrs & Austin Westminsters. Apart from the cars themselves being much wider, modern cars have enormous door mirrors which 1960s cars didn't have. The DS is 1990mm over the door mirrors, which makes it a tight fit through a 2060mm garage door opening - that's why I went for the power-folding door mirror option! The garage is over 3 metres wide, so getting out once the car's in the garage is not a problem, although I do have to climb over to the passenger side. Unfortunately I can't widen the door opening without major structural alterations to the house. . .

I can understand why so many people don't keep their cars in their garages - even if they could get the car in they probably couldn't get out of the car, & I'm resigned to the possibility that my next car may be too wide for the garage.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
AO Member

County: Essex
Our Garage has had 1/3 converted to make a utility room in the house. The garage is still a decent size and houses my bikes, lawnmower and stuff like that. It is big enough to fit the wife's Smart Car in there but not my 159.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Other - cars

New garage is 7m squared & dehumidified. Linked in to the alarm system too. GT & Spider rest there, connected to CTEK chargers
Durty dog

Tools in mine, but i can still get 3/4 of the gt in there to work on if i have to.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
50's house - garage used to be at the back of the house, down a narrow drive (as per every other house in the street). Someone sensible knocked it down and built a garage at the front. It means we lost a side path and gate (which would be handy sometimes), but also means we have a convenient and accessible mancave.

Said 'cave is as I've perhaps described previously, set up with hooks and hangers and straps so that pretty much everything I have is on the walls or beams. The 156 fits in snugly, and I have some carpet on the right hand side to prevent stupidy-damage to the door edge.

Essentially the whole thing is a hair-trigger Buckaroo-type setup and one day I'll find that a mouse has stepped onto a paintbrush and set in train a domino-effect of catastrophic consequences.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Late 70's house, single garage with a door span fractionally wider than a mirror span.

Inside i have a 145 cloverleaf, loads of boxes from moving that i haven't unpacked yet, all my tools and lots of wood and decorating materials. It is a tight squeeze but it all just about fits in. I use the 145 as a tool shed so that helps a bit.

The GTV fits (when the 145 is out) but the doors are so wide i have to put the windows right down to get out. The punto is actually too wide to fit in. The mirrors don't clear the door.

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Quaife diff, Wizard SS manifolds, Scorpion SS downpipes, Scorption GTA catback, Bilstein b4 Dampers, braided brake lines, MTEC drilled disks, Red Stuff pads.
CobolMan

2 cars, 2 pushbikes, fridge-freezer, 2 lawnmowers, tools etc in ours. I do like having a double garage

Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
typical banker

CobolMan

Nah, I don't drive a BMW or Audi

Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
atypical bank computer working person