Top Gear... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: is top gear getting ****ter
Yes... 17 47.22%
No 18 50.00%
Other 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 28-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Top Gear...

Is it just me or is top gear getting a bit rubbish...

just wondering as they seem to have less cars and car reviews on but more stupid stuff on...

Last edited by mr.orange; 28-05-06 at 21:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

harrythesnotgobbler

Re: Top Gear...

still miles ahead of reverse gear with tiff the track driver, vikki im a **** and beardy man....and theres another one in there ive forgotten as wel (there was some interesting paint drying while he was on)

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

It's still the best comedy programme on TV

Oh.............

and it has the odd bit about cars as well

Perfect
AO Member

County: Tyne & Wear

Member car:

916 GTV.

....It's good when they are testing and reviewing the cars but IMO it's getting a bit silly when you have a car racing a parachutist and turning the inside of an S-Class Merc into Anne Hathaway's cottage.

I know you need humour, stunts and laughs etc etc but this section of the show is getting a bit stale, the piece where they took over the radio station a couple of weeks back was just silly from the start, it lost my attention until it was finished by the listener complaining.

It needs some new ideas or possibly a new format altogether. It started to go as far back as 18 months maybe 2 yrs. ago for me anyhow. Still watch it though but it is declining.

1.3 GT Junior, 2000 GTV Bertone, 1.5 Sprint Veloce, 75 3L V6 Widebody, 156 2L TS, 145 1.8 TS, GTV 2L TS x 2, Lancia Fulvia S3 1.6 HF, Lancia Beta 2L Coupe, Lancia Beta 2L Spyder, Fiat Mirafiori 2000 Sport, Fiat Coupe 20vT. Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG. Yamaha YP 125 Scooter. Not all at once
wrinx

Well....I still enjoy it, one of the few shows that gets me really laughing. However, I have to agree it's not as good as last year.

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Its probably still the best motoring program, but this series isn't as good as previous ones (IMHO)
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg
Its probably still the best motoring program, but this series isn't as good as previous ones (IMHO)
Like all formats really..they try to top the previous stuff but it just gets more bizarre......remember Police Acadamy 5?....I certainly don't..

Doesn't seem quite as good as the last series, but to put it in context, has any one seen vroom vroom on sky? its pants. and don't get me started on the tedium that is 5th gear
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

To be fair, even Fifth Gear is better than Vroom Vroom FFS!!
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

The episode on 21 May was just brilliant - funniest yet! Especially when he capsized his Hilux!!

I spose after 8 series of brilliant programming its always going to be hard to find new good things to do but they are still doing a good enough job for me - infact guess what im watching right now
AO Platinum Member

I think its very difficult to think of new stuff to say about cars for an hour week in week out, and they've been inventive to the point of surrealism in some of their comparrisons. I think I'm enjoying this series as much as the last, but I suppose all formats need to be reinvented or they become stale.

County: Greater Manchester

It definitely seems sillier rather than funnier most of the time this series. Still better than 5th Gear but they need to get a grip. The Anne Hathaway's Cottage Mercedes wasn't even mildly amusing - maybe a giggle as a one-liner but going through with it for 10-15 minutes? Please!

And there seems to be one or two "clueless" stories every week, like that garbage radio show nonsense.

Shame when there is tonnes of potential material in the motoring world - they can't be running out of subject matter. Perhaps they are just trying too hard to be funny and degenerating into immature schoolboy humour too much?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Member

County: Tyne & Wear

Member car:

916 GTV.

....It's not all going downhill, there is still some brilliant reviews such as his test of the new Jag. XK on the Yorkshire Moors a few weeks back and Sundays test of the new Merc. S Class with that cruise control feature.

So how about us lot giving them some ideas as to what we want to see, they have a 10 min. slot to fill and we come up with our own subject matter to fill it.

I'd like to see a section dedicated to accessories and tuning. Example; they could buy one of those little silver boxes off eBay for £3.99 which is described as a Superchip, fit it to their "test" car and see how bad it is, factory approved chips to see if they are worth the money, maybe performance back boxes, de-cats, Induction systems, lowering/adjustable suspension, performance pads and the difference between grooved and solid discs, braided hoses, etc etc etc. This subject is endless.

They should browse a few forums like ours and take out the most common stuff that crops up every now and then, do a comparison on an Italian cambelt and a German cambelt after 40k miles (thats providing ours is still a belt rather than a strip) Stress testing to see how it has deterioreted over use and which will snap first. It can't be too difficult to ditch some of the stale stuff and fill it with a 10 min. slot to freshen the prog. up.

Any more ideas. ?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Too many egos and not enough material imo
It is a half an hours programme made to last an hour.
What is it with those idiots in the audience, why do they always put the women in the front?

I have to honest and say I like Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson has me in fits of laughter with his outragous ideas, some of his quick witted comments are really funny

Anyway, someone who loves Alfas as much as jeremy certainly gets my vote. although he knows they are not exactly the most reliable car on the road, he puts it above our German rivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
What is it with those idiots in the audience, why do they always put the women in the front?
...I'm guessing you don't work in marketing?
AO Silver Member

Just watched this weeks Top Gear - what a load of 5hit.
The bit with the front room in the S-class made me cringe
Worth watching only for the Koenigsegg - what a noise
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

It's less about the cars and more just a vehicle for Jeremy Clarkson. My 12 year old daughter likes it though.
Vin

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Poll Room

Tags
gear , top

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page