Should Britain have a Monarchy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Should Britan have a Monarchy?
Yes Keep them 43 71.67%
No they should go 13 21.67%
Other, please specify 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 39 Old 21-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Should Britain have a Monarchy?

Are they good or bad? This is not a public poll so feel free to vote how you wish.

This is sure to stirr up some debate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

EddieGTA

Re: Should Britain have a Monarchy?

I have said yes, but to be honest I was thinking about it with all this about the Queens 80th and while I think the Queen has done us proud over her reign I don't know about Charles and Wills.

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Yes we should keep the Monarchy.....

But let's get rid of all the hangers on..... Duke this and Duchess that

They are a liability
AO Gold Member

I'm not exactly a Royalist but I have nothing but admiration for Queen Elizabeth's performance throughout her reign as the #1 representative of her country.

I dont believe Charles has either the ability or integrity to could carry it off in such a convincing manner, but I do believe that Wills could rise to the occasion.
(Post Link) post #5 of 39 Old 21-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

After what I read on a yahoo message board I am suprised at the poll so far... Most people thought they were a bunch of work shy aristocrats, who get paid millions for doing very little while there are people in this world starving, and it is just plain wrong.
Thats not my opinion, just though I would add it though..
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Whats the alternative? An elected president would be far worse IMO.

She has done her job as Queen and head of state for the UK in a way that its hard to imagine could be improved on. As a non-political representative I think other countries probably secretly envy us and want something similar despite saying its out of date and antiquated.

they do bring a lot of money to the country , ie through tourism and she doesnt bother me so im fine with it
AO Silver Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani

Member car:

156 2,5 V6

There is some countries where the monarchy works and England is one of them. The other and this hurst to say is Sweden. So I think it should.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Keep the monarchy. The Queen is rich - but so what? Many others are wealthier. OK so it does always come out of the public purse in those cases but she works surprisingly hard to project (and protect) a decent image of Britain and the Commonwealth. She actually draws a lot of money into the country via tourism etc too.

What's the alternative? More sleazy, self-enriching, lying politicians of whatever party? Another Tony Blair or George Bush type in absolute power? God help us!
AO Gold Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
Keep the monarchy. The Queen is rich - but so what? Many others are wealthier. OK so it does always come out of the public purse in those cases but she works surprisingly hard to project (and protect) a decent image of Britain and the Commonwealth. She actually draws a lot of money into the country via tourism etc too.

What's the alternative? More sleazy, self-enriching, lying politicians of whatever party? Another Tony Blair or George Bush type in absolute power? God help us!
This is the exact problem we have in Australia.
Although Australia is a totally separate and independant Country from the UK, we do retain the Queen as nominal Head of State. But with what type os system do you replace the current system that will genuinely work ???????????
USA has an elected "Monarch" and who wants to go there. Other Alternatives are an elected President on top of a Pariamentary democracy, like France, but that is a shambles.

Maybe the best option for Australia would be to put up a dozen or so people ,for the position equivalent to Governer General, and pull a name out of the hat!!!!!

Personally the political system is like a car..."If it ain't broke" do not fix it!

Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfagirl
There is some countries where the monarchy works and England is one of them. The other and this hurst to say is Sweden. So I think it should.
You forgot Spain. Spain does have a working monarchy, and they are truly loved, and rightfully so.

They do work for their country.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
Other Alternatives are an elected President on top of a Pariamentary democracy, like France, but that is a shambles.

Where everyone, last time, voted for the half senile incombent
because there was a VERY real chance of a facist thug getting
into power!!

Say what you like, the British (and Spanish) constitutional
monarchies do have something going for them.
(Not least keeping half of fleet street in jobs.)

N.

AO Silver Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani

Member car:

156 2,5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
You forgot Spain. Spain does have a working monarchy, and they are truly loved, and rightfully so.

They do work for their country.
Yes ... You're right Ant
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I believe that, in financial terms, they bring more money into the country than they cost - so why not keep them?
VO2Max

Personally, I am a big fan of Her Maj. I just hope her offspring can keep up the good work (I have my doubts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max
Personally, I am a big fan of Her Maj. I just hope her offspring can keep up the good work (I have my doubts).
Ditto! God bless her.
IMHO I'd like to think that either of the 'Princes' would be up to the job, either way though she's a very hard act to follow for anyone
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max
Indeed, seeing her birthday celebrations and going over her life. She has done a lot for this country as did the Queen Mother and George, during the war years particularly.

AO Silver Member

I think she should retire and hand over the throne to Charles. I am not very fond of Elizabeth as I just think she is a snob. I much prefer the down to earth approach of her offspring - especially Charles.

I thought the way she handled and reacted to the death of Diana was shameful - and only for Tony Blair intervening she may not have survived on the throne.

Should they go? My personal opinion is no - but they should be more open and less starchy.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Britain should be rightly proud to have a monarchy that does so much for the image and wealth of the country. As others have said, what would be the alternative? President Blair??? God help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy
I thought the way she handled and reacted to the death of Diana was shameful - and only for Tony Blair intervening she may not have survived on the throne.
Agreed she could have handled Dianas death better, but you'e got it arse about face with Blair, he has zero respect for the Queen and would do away with the whole monarchy if he could. Thankfully the majority of the British people would lynch him if he tried.
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Keep them, I am a Bowles you know!
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy
I think she should retire and hand over the throne to Charles. I am not very fond of Elizabeth as I just think she is a snob. I much prefer the down to earth approach of her offspring - especially Charles.

Should they go? My personal opinion is no - but they should be more open and less starchy.
As a complete ousider, I don't know how she handled that situation. What did she do wrong??
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
As a complete ousider, I don't know how she handled that situation. What did she do wrong??
This article – relating to the snubbing of The Duchess of Cornwall in a set of 80th birthday celebration photo’s sums up the Queen to me.
For any man to marry and have to go through a divorce and then to have to deal with his ex wife’s death while bringing up two sons in the full glare of the public is an enormous ordeal.

That he should have finally found happiness with a new bride should be a source of comfort to any family and she should be welcomed fully into her new role. Yet she was left out of the photo’s ??

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/lost/147062004.htm

This confidential dispatch (available on the net) sums up the Queen’s handling of Diana’s death quite objectively.
It (in my view) correctly praises Tony Blair and the British government’s handling of the death – while accurately depicting the failings of the Quees’s handling of the matter. It was cold and insensitive – but to me predictable. She similarly treated her own children in a cold uncaring manner when they were being brought up. Lets face it she is just not a nice person.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/foi/i...432388,00.html
AO Member

County: Greater London

Yes, particularly nasty and insidious piece of journalism wasn’t it… OK, the Queen is cold and has some pretty severe control issues, but for the Blair propaganda machine to go to such lengths to highlight how well he ‘handled’ the situation, and how badly the Queen coped, is simply ugly. Remember, it took a plea from Prince William to stop the press slagging off the royal family. Hardly what you need when grieving for a mother / daughter / sister etc…

Now I’m not a particular fan of the Royal family, but given the alternatives, I don’t currently see another realistic option.

Keep them I say!!!

James
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev
Where everyone, last time, voted for the half senile incombent because there was a VERY real chance of a facist thug getting into power!!
Well, not 100% everyone exactly, but indeed the choice between a bad candidate and a much worse one was disheartening (to me). Well, at least Chirac hasn't been doing much of anything at all lately, he's just letting his prime ministers do everything, take the blame for him, and leave. He does act a bit like a distant regent nobleman in fact, I have to admit.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I once pledged my allegiance when I 1st joined the service & it still stands. I've waivered over the years but would lay down my life still without question! They should have kept Britania IMO too ;-) Had a few Stella's now BTW!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
britain , monarchy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page