Affordable semi-exotics - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Which has tempted you?
Montreal 6 19.35%
Ferrari 308GT4 2 6.45%
Porsche 928S 3 9.68%
Jensen Interceptor 2 6.45%
Lotus Esprit 8 25.81%
Maserati Merak 3 9.68%
Porsche 911 (federal bumper) 74-89 4 12.90%
Ferrari 400i 0 0%
Maserati Biturbo Spider 3 9.68%
VW Passat 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 30-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Affordable semi-exotics

Reading about the Montreal somewhere set me thinking. I looked at one years ago and was sorely tempted but it was affordable because it was rough.

Ferrari 308GT4's were (and still are) cheap thanks to that Bertone styled wedge shape. It is a real Ferrari for less than £18k ooo-errr!

Almost any Maser you want to wave a wallet at after a few years.

So, here we have it. You must have been tempted at some point(s) by a semi-exotic/junior supercar for "affordable" money. What was it or would it be assuming you have a chunk of disposable to buy with but only your current level of income to run it?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k

Last edited by 73GTVJim; 31-03-06 at 11:33.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Affordable semi-exotics

Out of those on your list I'd go for the Lotus, to my mind Chapman was the greatest car designer ever. However, I'm suprised you haven't included the E-Type Jag, which in some of its guises is quite affordable now.
(Post Link) post #3 of 28 Old 30-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Gary,

I thought about it and then Passat pipped it Seriously, I already c*cked up my first attempt then couldn't remember the models I originally thought of (too much Rioja perhaps, hic) .

I also wanted mostly less-than-mainstream semi-exotics with a couple of safer bets and the Jag is too "safe" for this poll.

Jim
wrinx

Can't pick more than one.....but, Montreal and both the Masers have crossed my mind more than once :O

wrinx

AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Id have a monty or an oldy (the best ones) 911
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I can't vote in this, it's too hard. I would love to have a Monty or a Lotus Esprit, or a Jensen.
(Post Link) post #7 of 28 Old 31-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack
Id have a monty or an oldy (the best ones) 911
In "real life" terms I'd go for the pre '74 911 (oh for a 2.7RS!!!) myself but, again, I thought it was too safe, desirable and even 911T priecs are climbing. An OK condition 911S or E would probably push over 20k so I left it out like the E-type.

Once you start thinking about there are loads of potentials. I felt the Passat joke was a bit of a waste of space but followed the guidelines!
AO Gold Member

Lotus Esprit for me.... I was a "Chapman Comando" throughout the seventies (Super Seven & S4 Elan Sprint), and I probably wouldn't be able to resist an Esprit if I were to find one available in UAE in good nick and at a sensible price. Unfortunately I've not seen or heard of any in the 11 years I've been here.
AO Member

no doubt design wise the lotus is on my list but the 911 shape has to be one of the purest (along with the e-type fixed head) imo - no nasty bodykits or whale tail thingys for me

saw a montreal at last years classic car show and was gorgeous. very tasty.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

and I went for the Monti

(Post Link) post #11 of 28 Old 31-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo
and I went for the Monti
Lovely things. Brave owners! How have you found her - a parsimonious sweetie or a spendthrift moneypit?
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Voted Monty, but the Ferrari 400 does have a strange appeal to me...

Apart from the Passat, far too exotic for me, there should be an all of the above option. Really like all those cars. Have to pick the Jensen in first place though. Have loved those cars ever since I was a puppy. All the others come in a close second.
AO Silver Member

i have a big thing for the 308GT4, dont know why but id sell my granny for one, probably have to, to run it, also the abuse you would get from ferrari purests saying its not a ferrari but a Dino would drive you bonkers, love the 400 series as well, running costs of all the options would be very high
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
Lovely things. Brave owners! How have you found her - a parsimonious sweetie or a spendthrift moneypit?
It was definitely a decision made by the heart not the head Fortunately I bought one that was pretty well sorted having had a lot spent on it in the past. Overall it hasn't cost me excessively in the 5 years I've had it. Just don't use it enough really.

But in so many ways it's everthing I dreamed it would be And that had been a 28 year dream

AO Platinum Member

Quote:

Once you start thinking about there are loads of potentials. I felt the Passat joke was a bit of a waste of space but followed the guidelines!
Its a relief that no ones voted for it though!!
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

GTV 3.2 V6

I chose the Esprit - one of the early '80s ones would do just fine! Surprised to see TVR doesn't get a mention though - some of the old '60s and '70s models are very cool indeed
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

My dad has a 308GT4, its a great car. Anyone who says its the worst Ferrari or not a "real" Ferrari has a wrong opinion, in my opinion. The v8 makes a brilliant noise, and with some lowered track suspension and some bigger Technomagnesia wheels/lower profile tyres it looks pretty good too!

That said, I did nearly vote for the Esprit, I really like the old ones.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Gary,

I thought about it and then Passat pipped it Seriously, I already c*cked up my first attempt then couldn't remember the models I originally thought of (too much Rioja perhaps, hic) .

I also wanted mostly less-than-mainstream semi-exotics with a couple of safer bets and the Jag is too "safe" for this poll.

Jim
I wouldn't worry about it, on one of my polls I missed out an option, and on another I voted incorrectly - duh!!
(Post Link) post #20 of 28 Old 31-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo
It was definitely a decision made by the heart not the head Fortunately I bought one that was pretty well sorted having had a lot spent on it in the past. Overall it hasn't cost me excessively in the 5 years I've had it. Just don't use it enough really.

But in so many ways it's everthing I dreamed it would be And that had been a 28 year dream
Good luck to you! Keep the dream alive. You gotta use it.
(Post Link) post #21 of 28 Old 31-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti Chris
I chose the Esprit - one of the early '80s ones would do just fine! Surprised to see TVR doesn't get a mention though - some of the old '60s and '70s models are very cool indeed
Chris,

Like I said earlier you only get 10 options and there's loads of possible entrants. These were quite literally off the top of my head after a few glasses of Rioja

I have a soft spot for TVR (inter alia) myself, but again -if you are honest- its only the latest stuff that can be said to be genuinely pushing the semi-exotic/junior supercar tag.

Maybe there's another poll in the offing -ahem, after mine has had a run - for the Lotus/TVR/Noble kind of motors?
(Post Link) post #22 of 28 Old 31-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackGTA
My dad has a 308GT4, its a great car. Anyone who says its the worst Ferrari or not a "real" Ferrari has a wrong opinion, in my opinion. The v8 makes a brilliant noise, and with some lowered track suspension and some bigger Technomagnesia wheels/lower profile tyres it looks pretty good too!

That said, I did nearly vote for the Esprit, I really like the old ones.
Jack,

Great choice. Then again, I've had the dreaded wallet-twitches over all of them! I agree totally about the 308GT4. It's better looking than most people give it credit for (because they prejudge it based on snobby preconception). I've never even been in one but it's the nearest to a real Ferrari I could ever get. There was a piece in Classic & Sports Car a while back that made a great case for it against a new Mondeo (of all things!) for cheaper running costs and it won! Mainly due to lower depreciation but nonetheless valid for that as its still a hidden cost of ownership to many.

Jim
AO Member

County: New South Wales

I came within 4 minutes of owning a very nice Jensen Interceptor Mark 4 not too long ago... If i'd run the orange traffic light at the end of the street instead of stopping like a good boy, I would have beat the other guy there...

On the upside though, the guy did take a bit of pity on me & loaned it to me for my wedding for the princly sum of 2 bottles of red wine & a thorough detailing. Best part of owning one I think would be just to detail it & have the sexy woman you married climbing out of it (even if only once). None of the worries like having to rego it, insure, pay for the fuel that the 440 bigblock uses... I got the better deal in the end

164 restoration in progress...
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Jack,

Great choice. Then again, I've had the dreaded wallet-twitches over all of them! I agree totally about the 308GT4. It's better looking than most people give it credit for (because they prejudge it based on snobby preconception). I've never even been in one but it's the nearest to a real Ferrari I could ever get. There was a piece in Classic & Sports Car a while back that made a great case for it against a new Mondeo (of all things!) for cheaper running costs and it won! Mainly due to lower depreciation but nonetheless valid for that as its still a hidden cost of ownership to many.

Jim
In our experience, most of the "snobby preconceptions" come from people who don't own Ferraris, but take basic medias' (such as Topgear etc who love to jump on controversial bandwagons) opinions as fact. Most Ferrari owners have been nothing but admiring of the car.
I remember that article, was a good read! Hidden costs are there, dads is in for some rust work at the moment, the costs rising with every phonecall from the garage unfortunately.
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

Quote:
Ferrari 308GT4's were (and still are) cheap thanks to that Bertone styled wedge shape. It is a real Ferrari for less than 18k ooo-errr!

So, here we have it. You must have been tempted at some point(s) by a semi-exotic/junior supercar for "affordable" money.
Just out of curiosity... I've always thought those cars would be very expensive to maintain, especially when you need to change the clutch or some @##@$ rams your back bumper. Are you saying a 308GT4 can be maintained cheap?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
affordable , semiexotics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page