Would you use a DIY car repair facility? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Would you use a DIY car repair facility?
Yes 11 91.67%
No 0 0%
Depends... (explain) 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 24-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe
Would you use a DIY car repair facility?

Just out of curiosity... here in Naples, Italy I have access to a facility where you can pay by the hour and be helped/advised by a professional mechanic for your repairs, even for belts & waterpump changes. You get access to the whole nine yards: tools and everything.

I'm a beginner but just by changing my brakes and resurfacing my rotors, I've saved a good 100 euros, more or less, and I also saved by shopping for parts. Then on the other hand I spent 3 hours of my week-end time, but I've learned plenty!

Do you guys have something similar in the UK? My mom told me that in France a chain doing just that has just come up and it seems to be working well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Would you use a DIY car repair facility?

Depends on how difficult the job was.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 24-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

So, given that easy jobs (oil change, spark plugs change, tire rotation, etc...) tend to be much more frequent, it's an overall "yes", I take it?
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre_samanni
Just out of curiosity... here in Naples, Italy I have access to a facility where you can pay by the hour and be helped/advised by a professional mechanic for your repairs, even for belts & waterpump changes. You get access to the whole nine yards: tools and everything.

I'm a beginner but just by changing my brakes and resurfacing my rotors, I've saved a good 100 euros, more or less, and I also saved by shopping for parts. Then on the other hand I spent 3 hours of my week-end time, but I've learned plenty!

Do you guys have something similar in the UK? My mom told me that in France a chain doing just that has just come up and it seems to be working well.
Sounds a funky idea!

I posted yes, but it would depend on time constraints at the time. However, I would have fun and learn lots about the car, so given time availability, I would go for it.
AO Gold Member

County: -

This would be great

I know absolutely nothing about engines and running repairs (other than topping up the oil and maybe changing a tyre), but would love to be able to say "I did this" if the brake pads needed changing for example.

Although my son and husband look after their classics, even they sometimes need help and if you knew you could go somewhere with all the tools and advice, it would be really useful
harrythesnotgobbler

Anyone remember the film 'Christine'?.....it seems in America the facility is aready there.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Some years ago we had one in a local trading estate. It was fully equipped, you rented space by the hour and tools were all available. Advice was also on hand if you got into problems. Used it about three times myself. Half-shaft replacement, head removal for valve re-grind and later petrol tank removal to get the sender-unit replaced. Great idea. Closed down after about two years. Pity because I would like to be able to use something like it in the future.
EddieGTA

I think that is a brilliant idea. I have an old 33 I am going to try and get back on the road, I am a bit more confident as it is garaged and pretty worthless now.

Having assistance, and all the right tools to hand I would be willing to give more things a go.

Also I couldn't believe the other day seeing a guy at Halfords, getting one of the guys that works there to change the battery on his 206

AO Member

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

Ya sounds like a great idea, I'd have a go at servicing on the car, and it's nice that there is a mechanic on hand if you get stuck, be great for a project jobbie.
I used to do a lot of the work myself before. But now as I change every 2 years if something fails its under warranty, I get the garage to fix it.

Last edited by Mjet; 24-03-06 at 21:50.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
car , diy , facility , repair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page