what yr scariest moment ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: What has scared you the most?
Terriorists 3 14.29%
Running out of talent on the road/track 5 23.81%
Other drivers on the road 6 28.57%
Being caught in bed with someone when you shouldnt have. 2 9.52%
Someone going...... BOO 0 0%
Something else.. 5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 04-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
what yr scariest moment ?

OK, I think I have just had my scariest moment in life, when 2 bombs went off next to my hotel in Karachi and blew the windows in on my room while I was asleep.

Luckerly I was not on my Pc else I would of been covered in glass and debris, so I am ok.

So was thinking, what has scared you the most ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

EddieGTA

Re: what yr scariest moment ?

Bloody hell troll, glad you are OK. That is totally scary, you out there for work?

My Scariest moment was the bombings in London on July 7th. I was luckily not caught up anywhere where the bombs went off, but I had to travel from East of London accross to West London. I had long given up on using the tube due to delays and it being packed, so I got the train out to clapham and came back in from richmond. It was only 2 stops on the district line in to gunnersbury but I got the last tube before everything stopped.

The worst of it was I was working for a TV company, so there were TV's everywhere tuned to news and you saw the whole thing unravel. The next day my boss realised she had been on the picaddily line train behind one that had the bomb on. At the time she just thought it was a power problem and got off and went home.

Not being one to give into things like this I was determined to get home, but that journey home was the quietest I can remember, everyone was so subdued. And for about a good while after there were armed police at victoria station.

(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 04-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Yes, I was out there setting up a new TV channel for Hum TV. My boss told me to come home early..

I can imagine the London bombings were terrible especially not knowing what was happening, if it were terrorists or an electrical prob..

Luckerly I am fine, just shaken up but glad to be back home...

Mark
AO Member

It was early on in my Alfa career and, being a youngun' at the time, was not at all aware of the handling capabilities of my first Alfa, a US spec 69 1750 GTV. I'm cruising down the motorway preparing for one of my favorite exits, a righthand sweeper that can be done at 80+ mph without blinking. Thing is, the exit mere meters before the sweeper is a 200* righthand hairpin with a 15mph speed limit complete with an embankment on the other side of the double Armco barrier! So, there I am doing about 60mph thinking I'm getting off onto the sweeper only to find myself on the exit for the hairpin with absolutely no way to avoid the inevitable. After an "OH, SH*T" or two, I jump on the binders, downshift a few gears, turn the wheel slightly to the right and wait for the crash. Much to my suprise, the Alfa slowed quite quickly but the rear end now started to come out to the left. "Great", I thought. "Now I'm gonna go thru the bloody Armco backwards!" I haven't a clue why I did what I did next but, being in second gear now, I just punched the throttle. The Alfa, to my complete and utter astonishment proceeded to simply round the hairpin at opposite lock! The ordeal, needless to say, scared the living pucky out of me and slowed me down for a week or two, but I've not since been afraid to corner in an Alfa.

Jim
68 Mk1 Italian delivery
71 Mk2 US delivery
89 Spider Veloce
AO Silver Member

being shot at in Belfast in '98, only time in 6 months out there i had to "make ready"(cocking the rifle to the uninitiated), biggest adreneline buzz ive ever had, took me about 30 min to come down from that high. later found out the round missed me by about a foot
harrythesnotgobbler

In the early 90's I was repairing some wiring in a junction box on a sloped roof of a container crane (approx 200-250 ft up), put a screw driver down which then rolled down the roof and over the edge, instinctively i went to grab it and nearly went over the edge with it. It was close. And no i wasnt wearing a harness.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

When I was younger I was in a coach crash , while in italy. Our coach came off a slip road on the autostrada and hit a beer lorry at around 50mph. There was lots of smashing glass from the bottles as well as tyres screeching. No one was hurt seriously but it was pretty scary. Although it was over very fast.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Mine must be, when I was really young and couldn't swim... at a public beach I went a bit too deep.... and ... well... The panic when you start to go under water and can't do anything about it is rather scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
Yes, I was out there setting up a new TV channel for Hum TV. My boss told me to come home early..

I can imagine the London bombings were terrible especially not knowing what was happening, if it were terrorists or an electrical prob..

Luckerly I am fine, just shaken up but glad to be back home...

Mark
Blimey mate, glad you’re back in one piece.
I spent a ‘while’ on the tube back in July last year and not having a clue what was going on it didn’t occur to any of us that it was a bomb until I got to work…..

I think the worst though was seeing a plane go up in flames in Hong Kong a few years back, during a typhoon. Not the best thing to see just as you’re about to get on a plane!
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159Ti SW & TTs

Not as serious as the previous threads................

But how's jumping off the Kawarau Bridge, tied to Mrs Foxie, with just elastic round your ankles, in Queenstown New Zealand. That was scary, but pure adrenaline.

http://www.ajhackett.com/index.php/pi_pageid/17

It wasnt scarey but then went on to the fly-by-wire......ABSOLUTE PURE ADRENALINE..........http://www.flybywire-queenstown.co.nz/

Last edited by Foxie; 05-03-06 at 18:42.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
OK, I think I have just had my scariest moment in life, when 2 bombs went off next to my hotel in Karachi and blew the windows in on my room while I was asleep.

Luckerly I was not on my Pc else I would of been covered in glass and debris, so I am ok.

So was thinking, what has scared you the most ??

Gordon Bennett!!! That would be very scary!!! Glad you came out of it ok.

Growing up in London in the 80's, there were always bomb scares and, after a while, you just started to get used to them. The closest I ever got to an actual incident was in Oxford St one time, and they bombed a restaurant on Tottenham Court Road (I was about 150yds down the road at the time).

I think the most scared I have ever been was, co-incidently, at Tottenham Court Road tube station, one Saturday afternoon near Christmas some years ago. The station was so busy that they had to stop the escalators, as people were queuing back up them.

By the time I got to the platform, we just missed a train, which meant I was right at the front with several thousand people behind me. As the next train was approaching the station, I could feel the wind lowing up the tunnel and suddenly the crowd behind me decided to surge forward to get closer to the train.

I was trying to push back, but I had nothing to hold onto and as the train pulled into the station, I could literally feel the side of the train brushing my nose as it went by.

Anyone who uses the tube on a regular basis always hears about people falling on the track (a daily occurance on the tube). Now I understand how it can happen.
AO Platinum Member

Ah.. the "tish" of AK47 rounds hitting concrete... Rather alarming but definitely not as terrifying as almost being caught "in flagrante"... with <name deleted to protect the guilty>.

Don't go there dudes...

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

I voted Terrorists........... well I live in Northern Ireland and have had a lfew lucky near misses.

The builders yard next street over being bombed 2 weeks in a row

Coming back to my flat 10 minutes after a shooting at a bookmakers across the road (I was about 15 minutes late getting home)

Walking to college and a bomb going off at the hotel 100 yds behind me, by that stage I looked at my mate,shrugged my shoulders and went into class

These were all during 1990 - 1992

Thank goodness things are a lot better these days

i dont think i have ever been scared

even when i did a 11,000ft freefall i sat on the edge of the aeroplane ngrinning to the camraman who was on the roof of the plane
AO Member

being a (an ex) biker, it has to be the complete idiocy of a/holes on the road that has done it for me, my nearest miss (i never actually got hit or fell off in a big way) was coming over the brow of a hill, racing another biker, and there is a crossroads just beyond the brow, and an idiot from each side pulled out at the same time, just as we came over the brow, nowhere to go!!!! , we both slid between(the thankfullynow stopped, but still covering most of the road) cars, leaving big black lines from locked up rear brakes, I havent ridden since getting to work that day! that was end of summer 2004, as i had lots of near misses leading up to that, and each one getting bigger and bigger, so i didnt want to temp fate any more, i hardly even drive quickly anymore
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

Apart from almost drowning and having a football-size rock hit me in the head on the mountain side, in my teenage years...

Recently I was on a one-lane overpass junction between two highways, a rather high, long and curvy one. Suddenly the truck in front of me stops, right in the middle of it, and I realize the highway which we're about to get to is awfully packed, with miles and miles of traffic jam... Great! Behind me, the overpass is now completely full. I figure I am going to be stuck for hours. Not so...

Suddenly some cars that are in front of the truck start backing up, passing the truck in reverse on the right. On a one-way overpass! But this is Naples, remember. Then everybody seems to have the same bad idea and the flow intensifies. Then the truck honks because it wants to back up as well. On a 60-foot high, curvy overpass, with now 2 lanes of cars instead of the legal one. Great... I start to sweat, but I put on the rear gear to signal my intent. The car behind be starts backing up, shyly, it's a young lady, and she looks way more terrified for her car than I am, though she's Italian. That makes me sweat a little more.

Now I am picking up speed, killing my back to see as much as I can of the rear traffic. I don't want to rear end my car, but that left rail is pretty damn close. I realize some cars have inserted themselves between the truck and my 155 in the space I left, where did they come from? It's honking left and right now. I see people backing up too fast for my taste, and they are swerving a little too wide. I have the feeling the front of the 155 is going to be toast soon. Have I mentioned the overpass is curvy? Oh, now the guy in front of me decides to use an "open space" on the right lane to _pass_me_in_freaking_reverse_! It looks like as if Ayrton Senna is attempting to pass some other driver in the teeny weeny space right after the tunnel in Monaco... It might be possible but it looks downright crazy! And Ayrton Senna is dead, there was only one! I'd like to shout that to the guy but I can't peep a word and I am sweating profusely now.

Okay, the overpass is almost over with. Now I have to slow down, beam my lights so cars in front of mine slow down, and observe how others behind me are re-merging on the first highway, with incoming traffic that doesn't know the second highway is stuck. I haven't lost my breath yet, but my heart is pounding fast. The guy behind me does his backup maneuver... My turn... I wait, wait for a clearing in the incoming traffic... if somebody collides in my 155 at 90km/h, we're not talking about rear end / front end damage anymore, my health is in the balance... here it is, I am already in 1st, and I floor it to escape the trap.

Now I join the second highway, going in the direction opposite where I was going first. I realize that was the crazyest piece of driving I've ever done. Not even intense go-karting has ever given me that much adrenaline. My hands start to shake. Oh well, I'm out of it, with no damage. Pfew. Never again, hopefully.

Last edited by pierre_samanni; 06-03-06 at 22:36. Reason: Spelling issues... ;-)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Brilliantly told story Pierre
Crazy stuff!

My own scariest moment, (mentioned on another thread a while back),
was in the middle of Siberia when I was being driven at highish speed by a company driver for an oil mining company.
It was the early hours of the morning but still very bright.
Anyway there we were bouncing along on this bockety road that was elevated over an absolute wasteland/frozen marsh with not another person for a 4 hour drive away - when I noticed the driver had fallen asleep.
I was in the back seat and had to gingerly manouver myself to be in a position to catch the wheel if the driver was startled when he woke up.

Thankfully the road was completely straight.
The driver seemed quite calm about it when he woke up
Pulled over, stopped for a few speedily inhaled cigarettes and set off again - being prodded regularly by the three passengers of the vehicle to make sure he was still awake.

TB

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Just remembered I forgot to vote, so just voted "other drivers", although in my case the "other driver" was driving the car that I was in!

Last edited by Trailbraker; 12-03-06 at 16:39.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

had a scary moment today.....got a phone call off my wife to tell me that she had skidded off the road and crashed into a tree

she is fine though....the car she was driving needs a front bumper though...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
moment , scariest

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page