Do other drivers Xenon/HID lights annoy you? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Do HID lights annoy you?
Yes they annoy me 25 54.35%
No, I like them 16 34.78%
Other, please specify.. 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 23-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Do other drivers Xenon/HID lights annoy you?

Are they dazzlingly brilliant, or are they just dazzling?
Many people complain about being dazzled by other drivers HID lights. Whether coming up behind you or coming towards you. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wrinx

Re: Do other drivers Xenon/HID lights annoy you?

Yup, get dazzled quite a lot....but could simply be my old eyes ...or misaligned headlights.

Voted other as they don't really annoy me...not as much as improperly used foglights anyway...see the rant room

wrinx

EddieGTA

I have to say no now that I have them, and can see the benefits. As wrinx has said they are not as annoying as people insisting on using their foglights all the time.

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Can someone explain this self-levelling thing on them to me? I don't get it. Surely if they just stayed still they'd throw exactly the same light pattern as normal headlights, so what would be the problem?
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza
Can someone explain this self-levelling thing on them to me? I don't get it. Surely if they just stayed still they'd throw exactly the same light pattern as normal headlights, so what would be the problem?
It's the way the light is produced, it has more definite edges to it, therefore meaning that the beam is more concentrated than normal headlights, which refract at the 'edges' of the beam.

The self-levelling thing prevents the light from dazzling in case the vehicle is heavily laden at the rear.

To answer the poll, no I don't think they're annoying, as Eddie said, now that I have them, I can see the huge improvement over standard lights.

The reason they may seem dazzling is because they are a more pure light than normal and your eyes are drawn towards them. Try and not look at them and you'll find them no more dazzling than normal headlights.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Platinum Member

Occasionally they do, especially on the Range Rover HSE or the RR Sports. For some reason they always blind me.

But, they illuminate the road sooooooo well.
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 24-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

My dad had them on a Beemer, on dip they were not much better than a decent set of Halogen bulbs, and on main beam it used halogen bulbs anyway.. My dad also found that other drivers flashed at him a lot. i think they are a case of "I am alright Jack".
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Annoying, but for a different reason.

If one comes up behind you on a bend, the lights look blue 'cos of the refraction. When the self-levelling kicks in, they look like they are flickering... then you think Plod is after you.
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

GTV 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfens

If one comes up behind you on a bend, the lights look blue 'cos of the refraction. When the self-levelling kicks in, they look like they are flickering... then you think Plod is after you.
They're probably good but I'm quite happy with my standard 156 headlights. The only time Xenone are distracting, as above, is when they flicker and it looks like the person behind is flashing their lights...
AO Platinum Member

I keep getting dazzled by them - BMW 6 series the other day.. I really thought he had his high beams on but they weren't THAT bright. I flash them now.. though yer average Beemer-Boy is too up himself to work out why, I'd reckon.

Chelsea tractors .. hate them, especially when they're behind. Their lights seem to be designed to point straight at your rear view mirror (seeing as the lights are 8 feet (2.4m) off the ground anyway. Why doesn't someone ban them (4x4's)?

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S.
Chelsea tractors .. hate them, especially when they're behind. Their lights seem to be designed to point straight at your rear view mirror (seeing as the lights are 8 feet (2.4m) off the ground anyway. Why doesn't someone ban them (4x4's)?

Ralf S.

Agreed.

AO Member

Member car:

alfa 33 p4

Warning Re: Do other drivers Xenon/HID lights annoy you?

yes they bloody do especially on narrow country roads i leave my high beam on to give them some back,if you cant beat em join em i will get some soon.
AO Member

Member car:

02 156 2.4 JTD

I've just brought myself a HID upgrade kit for my Alfa, as most of my driving is done at night. Will see how I get on when I try and fit them within the tight engine bay.

Not really!!

Its the cars that seem to have one lamp on the road and one thats high and pointed right at your face that annoys me.

Chris

Cars fitted with Xenons in this country are obliged by law to have a self levelling system. It's designed to prevent dazzling!

And yes, they are superb. way more effective than standard halogens.
AO Member

My 'normal' car has adaptive bi-xenons and they are without doubt a must have in a rural area if you drive swiftly at night. Always thought the cost was not worth ticking the options box, but now am converted. Should not annoy as self leveling stops dazzle, now must be be fitted along with headlight washers. People have commented they look weird when you are following someone as they turn into corners dependant on speed / steering angle. Mind you, if they are on a BMW they would annoy me
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000
Are they dazzlingly brilliant, or are they just dazzling?
Many people complain about being dazzled by other drivers HID lights. Whether coming up behind you or coming towards you. What do you all think?

Oncoming drivers are bothered by HID glare because of its harsher, blue light. Light from conventional tungsten-halogen headlights is toward the softer, red end of the spectrum. Halogens would have to produce 1.5 times as much light as HID lights do to cause the same wincing, squinting and looking away.

High-intensity-discharge (HID) headlights would take a few minutes to get to full brightness if xenon were not added to the gas sealed inside the headlights. That's how the lights have come to be known, incorrectly, as xenon headlights even though xenon isn't what produces the characteristic blue-white color.

Xenon, which ignites easier and faster than other HID gases, acts as a starter. It accelerates HID lights' start-up process, making the technology suitable for cars and trucks, where waiting a few minutes for lighting is impractical.

With xenon involved, HID lights are up to speed after 1 second, and are as ready as they'll ever be in a few seconds. Xenon is responsible for the bright flash as the headlights are turned on, and it's xenon that glows brightly temporarily until the harder-to-ignite gases are at 100 percent efficiency.

Mirrors inside the light assembly capture, amplify and direct the light; lenses aim and focus it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Just passing through.......
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfens

Yes I agree, if you going along an undulating road and a car with xenons is behind you - perhaps a little way back, I often catck a blue 'flicker' in the rear view mirror which, for an instance, does look like police lights being turned on. Its this aspect I find annoying rather than being any more dazzled by them comapred to normal halogen bulbs.

What annoys me is the cretins from who go and buy blue tint bulbs from halfrauds and fit them to their [email protected] little car and then don't get them adjusted. That and people driving with fog lights on on a clear night when they're behind me. I always thought the Citroen AX had a great system where the fog lights came on with main beam, i find my fog lights help light up the road near the car, but i only ever use them on main beam, always flick them off when i take main beam off.
AO Silver Member

County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

"Chelsea tractors .." is that UK slang for Range Rovers... Sorry for asking, but me being a foreigner and all that

If it's a Rangey, yes, they annoy me big time, as the left hand headlight seems to be out of adjustment, pointing directly towards my rearview mirror

It's the UK slang for any of the posh 4x4's which are typically found more often on the school run than off road. So Range Rover, Cayenne, Q7, X5 etc etc

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
annoy , drivers , lights , xenon or hid

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page