Do Bird Droppings damage your Paint? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Does bird dodoo damage paintwork?
Yes 33 89.19%
No 3 8.11%
Not Sure 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 19-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cry Like A Baby Do Bird Droppings damage your Paint?

I am weary from cleaning bird droppings off my GT.
The danger time is always just after I have washed it - especially if its a sunny day.

I sometimes think the birds around here are using some sort of laser guidance system because yesterday and again today they scored a direct hit right in the centre of my bonnet.

I once failed to notice some bird droppings on the roof and it left a permanent mark. It seems a lot of these new environmentally friendly paints are not very resistant to acidic bird droppings.

Between them and our two cats scratching it when jumping up on it I expect my car will be scrap in no time.

Oops - forgot to add my poll - can some one add a yes / NO poll if possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wrinx

Re: Do Bird Droppings damage your Paint?

Poll???

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

County: -

you can do the poll afterwards yourself too

PS. I have never had any damage done to my cars from bird droppings, but my friends (then few months old) car suffered a big crack in the paint from such a dropping.... they were out at sea for few days, and some nasty seagull had done it's needs right in the middle of the bonnet
wrinx

Done.

wrinx

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

They do damage. You can protect your paintwork somewhat by using a paint sealant like AG Extra Gloss Protection and a layer of wax for good measure. This will give you some protection but best to clean off a quick a possible. A rag soaked in warm water and left on for a few minutes will soften a dry bomb and make it easy to remove.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I think it is a good thing cows cannot fly to be honest. Imagine wiping that off.. Yes bird droppings do damage paint. I have wiped them off before and they have left marks. I has to rub the area with fine wet n' dry and then T cut to get rid of them.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000
......I has to rub the area with fine wet n' dry and then T cut to get rid of them.

never take wet and dry to paintwork unless you are respraying!!!

The answer to the question is YES OF COURSE bird droppings damange the paint. Bird **** it is highly corrosive. Keep the car waxed and wash droppings off immediately. Do it before the sun bakes it on and it comes off easily.

We do not really need a poll on this unless the question is "have paint droppings damaged your paint?"
EddieGTA

My dad had a white punto a few years back, and bird droppings on the bonnet left a permanent mark.

Just polished the alfa with autoglym polish and then the extra gloss polish, I think this helps as the day after there was a mud splash up the door which just wiped of with my jumper sleave leaving the door clean and my jumper not so clean

AO Gold Member

Bird crap is the equivalent on paint finish etc in terms of corrosive effect as winter road salt is on metallic chassis/suspension components. Follow the advice of previous comments on this thread... protect your paint finish and wash off bird droppings immediately
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

If only birds would use toilets hey

... and I'm certianly no expert by any measure, but I'm pretty sure bird poo damages all cars paint<--- doesn't it?

But if the question is whether my car has bird poo damage, I think the answer is yes. Need to wait and give it a good polish to be sure, but I reckon I have a spot, about a penny in size, where bird poo has dulled the paintwork
AO Silver Member

I live right on the sea where seagulls drop there load... quite often a direct hit on my car, never had any damage, I think cause of all the wax & polish that builds up over time.
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000
I think it is a good thing cows cannot fly to be honest. Imagine wiping that off..
Kinda like the half a pint of Maccy D's finest milkshake found on my car this evening

wrinx

AO Gold Member

I have seen Bird excretement eat right through paint, to the bare metal, in under 4 weeks, on a Friends car
AO Silver Member

Yes it can!!!

Be warned, bird crap contains chemical elements that will ruin your paint if you leave it on for too long. Especially if you let it's duty dry up in the sun.

be sure to remove it as soon as you can. Your wife's tissues finally do come in handy

Yes,

Its more dangerous in september, as the birds are eating stocks of winter berries...which are acidic..

rich in vitamin c (ascorbic acid)the birds love to eat these berries to fuel up for winter, but lethal for paint surfaces.

Chris
AO Silver Member

Member car:

MINI Cooper

All of the car manufacturers (and the two main paint suppliers) have test specifications for paint damage due to environmental factors which includes bird droppings. It also includes things likes engine oil, washer fliud, brake fliud, diesel, petrol, or anything that could normally find its way onto the bodywork.

The specification calls for it to be applied to the surface for a set time period (say four hours) at 20 degrees centigrade before being washed-off. Then tests for colour and gloss are made. The problem is that bird droppings are very different depending on what the bird has eaten so a formula simulating it is used which itself is quite aggressive. I've been responsible for doing this testing in the past on new car components.

So yes, if you leave it on for longer than a few hours and depending on the temperature, it can definitely damage your paintwork.

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

I can't park on my drive at the mo as there is a tree that hangs over it. As there on leaves on the tree at the mo, the birds like to sit directly above my car and [email protected] all over it.

Needless to say the tree is due for the chop very soon, as it also drops sap all over the car in the summer.

My current silver 156 does not seem as badly affected by bird poo as my old black 145, that was a nightmare and took bloody hours to polish out the marks where it had been dumped on.

My met green Clover Leaf still bears the scar on the roof from toxic bird pooh. Almost took the lacquer off. That was only after 6hrs, but on a really hot summers day.

How about a BB gun Chris

Bird droppings being an internation, unavoidable problem - you'd have thought that they could have developed a paint that can withstand it

I think "highly corrosive" is a bit strong though...... if it was highly corrosive then it certainly would not be lucky to get dumped on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg360
Bird droppings being an internation, unavoidable problem - you'd have thought that they could have developed a paint that can withstand it

I think "highly corrosive" is a bit strong though...... if it was highly corrosive then it certainly would not be lucky to get dumped on.

Unfortunately Paint is paint, and Laquer is laquer....you can modify it to do just that but what happens is the chemmical reaction with the compounds within the paint and laquer causes discolouration or misting, or crazing, which is not what you want to the finish.

However there are many polishes out there on the market that do the the job, and when the acidic qualities of the poo, mix with some of the coumpounds in the polish it neutralises it, but can cause some discolouration within the polish, but the good thing is you just need to re-polish.

Chris
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD SV

http://choosetoprosper.com/how-clean...g-off-car.html

"A study by a student named Charles West from Bristol University in the United Kingdom did a study with 1760 cars and learned that most often the birds made their decision based on the color of their cars and white being the favored color to dive-bomb. The birds attempted to hit the cars and had a 70% kill ratio of landing the turd on the car they tried for."

"...Fact is a deep, dark or pearl blue colored car is much safer from being a target of our fine feathered friends than the deadly white color."

so now you know!!

This is an old link to the solution: http://www.wheelztv.nl/ex_show_art-Fun.php?id=3
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Washing the car makes it target #1 for the pigeons around my way!!

And yes it does damage the paint. I had a Cherokee with paint damage to confirm (not easy to see the top of a 4x4!) and the 156 and Pug 206 have a couple of patches where we didn't get it off fast enough!! Be warned!! Seagull sh*te is the worst I've heard ....

I would suggest getting a cat, but they sit on your pride and joy, then slide down the side with maximum claws engaged
VO2Max

Yes, the other day a vulture flew over and dropped a house brick on her...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
bird , damage , droppings , paint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page