Buy Danish ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: As a result of the latest events, I will buy
less Danish goods 1 6.67%
more Danish goods 14 93.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Peter K

Buy Danish ?

Following the latest events, would you consider bying more or less Danish goods?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Buy Danish ?

Why not ?

Did they do anything wrong ?

Chris
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

Exactly, it's not as if the Danish government or people are responsbile for this whole chain of events, so why should they be held liable and have to pay the cost?

I'm all for freedom of speech, but sometimes a bit of common sense and tact is called for.
VO2Max

I shall be buying exactly the same amount of bacon as before.

I think the cartoon was pretty bloody stupid, but WTF?

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

I do agree with the statement below.

Quote:
I'm all for freedom of speech, but sometimes a bit of common sense and tact is called for.
IMO it's something that was blown out of all proportions, ridiculous chain of events that followed.
It's Ok for cartoons of other faiths to be ridiculed in 'other' papers, so the way I look at it is, if you can't take it, don't dish it out!
Peter K

As you can imagine, the local Media has been covering the widespread boycot of Danish goods intensively, but today they are reporting on a counter reaction, where supposedly Westeners was showing support by buying more Danish goods. ??

Locally "Arla" the Dairy giant, enjoys a 20% boost in sales.
And this company have been very unpopular last few years due to their business methods. Sensitive stuff!

BTW.. did you read that the Cartoons was brought last October in a big Egyptian newpaper. No reaction at the time

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Where's the option for buying the same amount of goods?

Without that I voted for "more goods" because I don't consider the actions of one newspaper should affect it's people or it's government. It's more a case of the way newspapers in general can sometimes act irresponsibly. In fact I think the actions of the other countries newspapers that re-published the cartoons, if anything, deserve more criticism.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

very true, if the first publication had this affect, what good does re-publishing it do?
AO Platinum Member

A country who's biggest exports are alcohol (lager) and pork products won't suffer too much just because a few nutters decide to buy less Danish products...!

Unless the nutters subscribe to the same school of thought as the guy arrested for leading the Trafalgar Square protests (previous conviction for drug peddling) Very hard-core Muslim then.. !

Ralf S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S.
A country who's biggest exports are alcohol (lager) and pork products won't suffer too much just because a few nutters decide to buy less Danish products...!

Ralf S.

Funny that as their products wouldn't end upon the muslim dinner table, alcahol and pork.

Whats annoying is that the gorvement does not have the guts to tackle the muslim bandwagon that is affecting our way of life.

The police just watched not wanting to create a situation, well sorry guys, you gutless t005ers, that is your job. They were chanting and displaying offensive slogans to US the british people, they should have been round up and locked up.

For any other person that has come to this country, or brought up in this country but have a different culture or ethnic origin it is simple we see this as our country and are proud to be part of the country, and feel honoured by the generosity this country has shown us.

But for Muslims, its different, they honestly dont feel that way, and many of senior clerics for the muslim faith have stated this, saying their faith comes first, and they can not concede this point.

They want us to change our way of thinking to believe their faith is right, and their laws according to the Koran should be our laws.

They wont stop until this point is achieved.

It would need a strong polition to recognise this and lay the law down, which is this, If you come to this country you can bring your faith but not the laws that govern your faith and actions, and if you break our laws, you are out of this country without question.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

The same amount which is none (as far as I'm aware). The only thing they export that I can think of is bacon. As they are not subject to our livestock welfare laws their pigs are not as well treated as ours, so I only buy British pork. However, the current furore isn't going to make me buy any less of anything else I might buy that's Danish.
Peter K

I don't blaim for for only knowing about pork and lager

But there is other things aswell.. Denmark exports a lot of Dairy products to Middle East. Companies like FL Smith is huge in the cement factory business, Maersk shipping, B&O, Lego... these companies have all been targeted by Gorvernments in Muslim states. Not on the home front though, where most Muslims by far thinks the whole thing is way out of proportion. To be honest i think those radical muslims who causes all the uproar, saw a weak opponent in Denmark. We don't have any power in terms of international politics, so we are a soft target. Same philosophy Terrorist.s uses... Go for the soft target, thats all they have the guts for. Dispicable way of thinking IMO!

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b
The police just watched not wanting to create a situation, well sorry guys, you gutless t005ers, that is your job. They were chanting and displaying offensive slogans to US the british people, they should have been round up and locked up.

For any other person that has come to this country, or brought up in this country but have a different culture or ethnic origin it is simple we see this as our country and are proud to be part of the country, and feel honoured by the generosity this country has shown us.

But for Muslims, its different, they honestly dont feel that way, and many of senior clerics for the muslim faith have stated this, saying their faith comes first, and they can not concede this point.

They want us to change our way of thinking to believe their faith is right, and their laws according to the Koran should be our laws.

It would need a strong polition to recognise this and lay the law down, which is this, If you come to this country you can bring your faith but not the laws that govern your faith and actions, and if you break our laws, you are out of this country without question.
I agree with the sentiment that people of other faiths, cultures and nationalities must respect our laws and way of life. But I think it's worth noting 2 things. The police are acting on behalf of the government and they are briefed as to when to intervene at demonstrations such as the ones we have seen recently. For an example of this control, Abu Hamsa (sp?) was watched closely for years by the police but the CPS (leaned on by politicians) decided not to act. That's not the fault of the police.
Secondly, I believe that the vast majority of Muslims in this country follow their own faith but in a way that allows them to perform an active and contributory role here and long may that continue. The reality is, we are a multicultural and multifaith society and everyone must be allowed to express themselves. But everyone must know the rules and what is expected and allowed. And yes, I do think we have become too 'PC' in the past and it's going to be hard in the present climate .

wrinx

Quote:
They were, at a recent demo and the Police were heavily criticised. I have to say the critics were wrong imho as the demo had gone too far.

Bit like moderating really, it's always a fine line

wrinx

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Funny that as their products wouldn't end upon the muslim dinner table, alcahol and pork.

Whats annoying is that the gorvement does not have the guts to tackle the muslim bandwagon that is affecting our way of life.

Well said Chris.
Sadly this never seems to happen, I despair of this country at the moment, i really do, whatever happened to the charge of treason.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
buy , danish

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page