156 or 159 best styling? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Best styling, 156 or 159?
156 36 80.00%
159 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 09-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
156 or 159 best styling?

Which of these cars has the best styling. Forget under the bonnet as this is no constest to the 156...

Reasons also please..

Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Re: 156 or 159 best styling?

The 156. Simply because the 159 doesn't stir my soul.
wrinx

Will reserve jugement until I see one at the dealer launch.

wrinx

(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 09-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I took delivery of mine on Monday from Mangoletsi.
Pity its only a 1/43 scale model though..
AO Platinum Member

County: -

156 ... it's more "original" ... and this goes only for the older models, not the new facelifted one.......
AO Platinum Member

I chose '56 too .. but it's a bit harsh on the 159. It's a conventionally pretty car and one of the best looking saloons on the road today.

But the '56 will probably be remembered as an all-time Alfa design classic like the Giulia.

What price a '56 facelift though..? Most people would struggle to spot the difference between that and the '59 at first glance...

Ralf S.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S.
I chose '56 too .. but it's a bit harsh on the 159. It's a conventionally pretty car and one of the best looking saloons on the road today.

But the '56 will probably be remembered as an all-time Alfa design classic like the Giulia.

What price a '56 facelift though..? Most people would struggle to spot the difference between that and the '59 at first glance...

Ralf S.
Agreed.

I was at the dealer yesterday as they were preparing one in the showroom ready for the launch. It IS a pretty car, but sitting inside it felt good, but not that special; my 156 seemed better. On the exterior styling all versions of the 156 are better proportioned... as the salesman said "...all new cars are getting fat these days."
VO2Max

Going from the 156 to the 159, they definitely threw the baby out with the bath water. But a lot of people are saying the 159 looks better in the flesh, I hope they're right!

AO Silver Member

Judging from the poll results so far, no contest. The 156 is the original!

I choose the 156 pre-facelift, not because I think it isnít necessarily the better looking car as they are both different.

The thing about the 156 is that it is/was a trend setter, before the 156 came on the market who had made a car with a front bumper that is cosmetically pleasing?!

All cars of it's time had a very normal looking front, now look at Audi and VW they are both following the 156 in as far as making the bumper part of the look of the car rather than an add on or after thought!

Also I love the rear door handles they donít disturbed the cars lines. The 159 is a different look and ultimately a new way of thinking for Alfa, I too have not yet seen the 159 in the flesh. But going on what the Brera looks like it'll be a very good looking car indeed, however if you just take the new nose it could be a 159 or a Brera where as the 156 looks only like a 156!

The 156 does it for me!

156 (original design) without a doubt.

Overall shape is more resolved and easier on the eyes than the 159. The curves on 156 reflect its Italian characteristic, and make the car sexier than the more angular 159, which IMHO, is more German-looking.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max
Going from the 156 to the 159, they definitely threw the baby out with the bath water. But a lot of people are saying the 159 looks better in the flesh, I hope they're right!
Sad to say, but no, it doesn't. Just got back from the dealer and there was a silver 159 in the showroom. While there is nothing strongly wrong with the car, it isn't even in the same category as the gorgeous from the inside-out 156.

I did like the triple lights in front, but overall, the car's exterior seems a bit flabby when compared with the 156 (I guess that is the result of trying to add interior space). None of the lines have the sext svelt appeal of the 156. I guess the rear 3/4 andle is the best, and it looks like it might be very nice to look at following it at night (nice rear lines and nice rear light fixtures).

What's worse, though, is that the 159's interior seems like it is trying too hard to please focus groups. to name just a few small examples, it has the oblligatory starter button and slot for ignition "key" (but the finish of the slot looks like a sloppy afterthought), drop down glasses holder (like all the other car makers), it has a multi function steering wheel that looks like it would be as hard as iDrive to operate, and a cheap looking aluminum trip on both the steering wheel and dash with a very bad fit (ie you can seep the gaps between the plastic and the metal). The engine bay, too, for the 2.2 JTS that I saw, was really cheap looking.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Voted 156, prefer the pre-facelift.
No emotional curving on the 159.

..but given the general lack of style in its competitors it still is a relative beacon of style.

Would love to see sports kit version to give it a little more character!

TB
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker
Voted 156, prefer the pre-facelift.
No emotional curving on the 159.

..but given the general lack of style in its competitors it still is a relative beacon of style.

Would love to see sports kit version to give it a little more character!

TB
Good point. In the past, I've often not liked BMWs when they first came out, but then had them grow on me after the "M-Sport" versions came out. I think the Alfa "Ti" version is becoming the same kind of thing - I like the 147 Ti a lot better than the standard one - maybe they'll do a 159 Ti?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Crazed Re: 156 or 159 best styling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTACharlie
Sad to say, but no, it doesn't. Just got back from the dealer and there was a silver 159
They look much better in darker colours. The silver makes it look German. The Rubino Red looks much more like it and helps reduce the aggressiveness.

There's no doubt the original 156 is the most elegant modern mass produced car so really this topic should be does the 159 look alright?
AO Member

Tough one to call and a question I asked myself in the dealers when looking closely at the 159.

To be fair - the 159 is to 2006 what the 156 was to 1998 (it makes sense in my head!)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas
There's no doubt the original 156 is the most elegant modern mass produced car so really this topic should be does the 159 look alright?
I'm not so sure abou this. The 156 and 147 were stylistically so fresh and so Italian that there was a definite "Wow' factor that made lots of people look at Alfa for the first time. Though I think the Brera definitely has that "Wow" power, the 159 is a bit of a letdown for me. It's not bad per se, it just doesn't set itself apart from the crowd the way the 156 and 147 did. I also think the interior quality seems to be down a notch, which is also a disappointment. Will look forward to the Brera (especially the GTA version!).
Spacecadet

156 as I have got one!

The end!

Andy

AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

I have always thought the 156 the most beautiful car I have ever seen (which is one of the reasons I bought one).

I think the lines look graceful and flowing, I think the proportions are perfect, it encompasses elegance and agression at the same time and overall the design just looks effortless (unlike many car designs which look like they have just tried too hard).

I have to say I have not been as impressed with the pics I have seen of the 159, but I will reserve judgement until I have seen one irl, as photos can often not do a car justice. (Where's that "Other" option? )
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciars
Tough one to call and a question I asked myself in the dealers when looking closely at the 159.

To be fair - the 159 is to 2006 what the 156 was to 1998 (it makes sense in my head!)
Yes there is no doubt that the 159 is a car of the naughties, throughly modern and probably a better, more accomplished car. The real test on styling is: "will it still look good in eight years time?" The 156 clearly does (facelift or original) and will probably still look good in another eight years; I suspect the 159 will look good but slightly dated. Good design never goes out of fashion.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

would have to pick the 156 as I have one - preface lift and agree with Ralf S that it is hard at first glance to tell which is which facelifted 156 or 159 - saw two the other day - 156s that is but did a double take to make sure they weren't 159s.
Still like the 159 though and I guess now Alfa are trying to please all of the people all of the time - they are a company who need to make money after all so the new cars must apeal to a broad as range of people as possible not just Alfa lovers.

Previous: Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi -147 1.6 TS Lusso - 156 1.8 TS - 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso saloon - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW - VW Golf TDi - Fiat Bravo Multijet Sport - Volvo V70 2.4D SE Lux - Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 GP - Skoda Superb 2.0D DSG L&K Estate - Now: 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW & Giulietta 1.4 MA QV-Line
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Hmm bit like trying to say whether Sophia Loren or Gina Lollobrigida is lovelier...

Voted 156 'cause in a direct comparison it is more beautiful than the 159....however, the 159 is way more beatiful than anything it's up against in the current market place.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
156 , 159 , styling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page