What are front foglights? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: What is the purpose of front foglights?
To be used in reduced visibility. 17 68.00%
Don't know they just add weight to the car, another thing to break. 3 12.00%
To draw attention to how cool my car/I am driving the one way. 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

EddieGTA

What are front foglights?

Sure I am not the only one that gets p*55ed off by people driving towards you or following you with either just the sidelights and foglights on, or side/headlights and foglights. I am not talking in the fog, usually on a clear night some times even the day. I am not picking on them but nearly everytime it is a BMW

I usually stick my rear foglights on to bring the point home, sometimes with success

So what do alfa drivers think? do you drive with your fogs on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Re: What are front foglights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA
Sure I am not the only one that gets p*55ed off by people driving towards you or following you with either just the sidelights and foglights on, or side/headlights and foglights. I am not talking in the fog, usually on a clear night some times even the day. I am not picking on them but nearly everytime it is a BMW

I usually stick my rear foglights on to bring the point home, sometimes with success

So what do alfa drivers think? do you drive with your fogs on?
Yep...but only when I'm in my BMW
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

I have never found front foglamps on oncoming cars a problem, they beam is aimed so low I don't think it can affect the vision of others, or at least thats my impression..

The same for when the car behind you has its front foglamps on - I personally don't see them as a problem at all.

Now rear foglamps are a different story and incredibly annoying since their beam does affect your vision.

Even more annoying are misalligned front headlamps which dazzle you.

Lights on during the day apparently reduce your chances of an accident quite significantly - hence Volvo lights that are always on.
BTW Safety statisticians apparently recommend full lights (dipped) as opposed to just parking lights during the day.

I have two confessions to make about front foglamps I use them on windy roads at night because it improves the visability of the kerb around tight corners in the absense of adaptive lighting that some marques have.

I also sometimes use them with parking lights at dusk for the short pre dusk period before I switch to full lights attempting to be more visible at one of the most dangerous times of the day.

I'm guessing this makes me a bad person

TB

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
AO Member

Member car:

02 156 2.4 JTD

Even car makers don't know what they are for, Fords latest advert for the Focus or Ka (Can't remember) said "Now with Sporty fog lights"
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker
TB
No I think you raise valid arguments there. Some cars though seem to have pretty badly aligned fog lights that get on my t*ts. Maybe I have an anger management problem

Your point about being visible reminds me of my Dad, he used to be a biker and when ever he bought a bike the headlight went on and never got turned off.

Hmmm maybe I should switch the fogs on tomorrow, but wait! doesn't that mean all them BM's are being sensible!!!

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilB
Even car makers don't know what they are for, Fords latest advert for the Focus or Ka (Can't remember) said "Now with Sporty fog lights"
LOL yeah we said the same about that. I suppose it was a car ad in the winter, but what the hell is 'spoty' about fog lights

Calming down now.

I will not lose my temper when I see a 318 with its fogs on.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

It was with some trepidation I revisited this thread;
initial signs were bad; a sea of red angry faces looming into my peripheral vison in Charlies last post..

Phew, yes, yes, BMW drivers are bad people!

TB
wrinx

It's all in the name........FOG lights....ffs

Does it wind me up?

wrinx

AO Gold Member

From October through to March in UAE my drive to work takes place before sunrise, and the number of cars on the road in crystal clear conditions with their front and/or rear fog lights blazing is distracting and irritating. The offenders appear to be mainly drivers of large BM's / Mercs etc & upmarket FWD's trying to enhance their image/road presence, plus drivers of a number of lesser vehicles who simply dont know that their fog lamps are switched on and probably dont know how to switch them off anyway.

At the slightest sign of fog on go all the hazard warning lights, which totally obliterates any chance of actually observing the road/kerbs/verges ahead. The local expat' operated FM stations are constantly reminding drivers of the correct procedures but this doesn't seem to have any effect.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Nicely put forward argument TB, but I do have some questions/observations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker
I have never found front foglamps on oncoming cars a problem, they beam is aimed so low I don't think it can affect the vision of others, or at least thats my impression..

The same for when the car behind you has its front foglamps on - I personally don't see them as a problem at all.

Now rear foglamps are a different story and incredibly annoying since their beam does affect your vision.

Even more annoying are misalligned front headlamps which dazzle you.
Fair enough (usually) if the fog lights are well aligned, but they often are not, and even when they are, they're more prone to reflecting up off a wet road surface than normal lights. You mention mis-aligned headlights, but that's a much less likely phenomenon than mis-aligned foglights. Headlight aim is checked on the MOT, foglight aim is not.

Quote:

Lights on during the day apparently reduce your chances of an accident quite significantly - hence Volvo lights that are always on.
BTW Safety statisticians apparently recommend full lights (dipped) as opposed to just parking lights during the day.
Very true. I use lights (not fogs) whenever it's dull or visibility is reduced in any way during the day.

Quote:

I have two confessions to make about front foglamps I use them on windy roads at night because it improves the visability of the kerb around tight corners in the absense of adaptive lighting that some marques have.
I'm not buying this at all. It's an argument I've seen many times before, and it just doesn't hold any water at all. I would concede that it gives you the impression that it's helping, and makes you feel safer, but it can't have any valid effect whatsoever. The distance ahead of you that correctly aligned foglights illuminate is so small that the only way they can help your judgement of the road ahead is if you're travelling at about 10mph. They illuminate the verges about 10 feet ahead, max, and if your reflexes are good enough to use that information when driving at normal speeds, you should be in F1 Of course, your foglights could be shining further ahead than that... but if they are then they're badly aligned, and you're one of the people dazzling others

Quote:

I also sometimes use them with parking lights at dusk for the short pre dusk period before I switch to full lights attempting to be more visible at one of the most dangerous times of the day.
Why not just use your dipped headlights? That's what they're for. If you search deep inside yourself, is there any actual valid reason other thawn 'it looks cooler'?
Quote:

TB
Nah. Just misguided
It comes down to one simple point, foglights should not be used unless visibility is down to less than 100 metres even with headlights on, and there is no benefit to using them anyway unless that is the case.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.

I've never seen the point of front foglights other than to let oncoming vehicles know you are there in poor visibility conditions. They don't seem to inprove forward visibility at all. In fact for me they do the opposite as they just reflect back from the mist/fog droplets serving only to self dazzle. Rear ones are a huge pain in the neck in all conditions except the very worst and I wonder if the extra hazard of missuse cancels the perceived benefit of using the darned things.

I used to drive a V70 so I'm well sold on the practice of day lights. In fact I keep the headlights on the GT on permanently (dipped of course!). Something tells me it will be compulsory under EC law shortly anyway. It is in Italy now, believe it or not!
AO Gold Member

In Australia, the fog lights are often admiringly refered to as "Holden wan-ker Lights" as a large proportion Holden drivers have them on....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

MINI Cooper

I find that the beam-pattern from fog lights on cars can vary from good to terrible. Saying that the 147 (and the 145 before that) seemed to have a good spread of useful light. I can only think that some car manufacturers accept they are just a styling accessory and they add them because they look good.

Anyway I only use them in actual foggy conditions....Although they may be set correctly on most cars they do cause unneccessary light that on-coming drivers are forced to look beyond to see the road ahead. If dipped head-lights are good enough for non-foggy conditions, then that is all that are necessary IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
In Australia, the fog lights are often admiringly refered to as "Holden wan-ker Lights" as a large proportion Holden drivers have them on....
"Ford wan-ker Lights" would apply around here then........

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

@Bazza : I would have to admit that you are right this time..

..of course I should be in F1!
AO Gold Member

I've always thought there were two explanations for people who use foglights when it's not foggy - either they've got crap memories and forgotten to switch them off or they're posers

I'll need to add Trailbraker's explanation to this list now

Seriously though, I think they're a pain in the a**e. Especially when you've got someone with really badly adjusted ones following you for ages, glaring in your rear view. I usually stick my rear fogs on to see if this works, but usually it doesn't. Then I worry they won't see my brake lights if I have to stop suddenly so end up turning them off!!

The one that always amazes me is when they have a dipped light out and still use fogs
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Lots of loony-toons out there who DEMAND attention and need to have as high a profile as possible. Front and rear fogs and those little blue bonnet lights as well. What a bunch of t0$$ers! .

Have to say tho that the front fogs on my Ren 5GT Turbo once saved the life of a cat in heavy fog just outside Aberdeen. They picked it out from the verge just before it ran across the road. So they do have their uses.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser
Lots of loony-toons out there who DEMAND attention and need to have as high a profile as possible. Front and rear fogs and those little blue bonnet lights as well. What a bunch of t0$$ers! .

Have to say tho that the front fogs on my Ren 5GT Turbo once saved the life of a cat in heavy fog just outside Aberdeen. They picked it out from the verge just before it ran across the road. So they do have their uses.
Oh god those bl00dy blue LED's on washer jets! Whyyyyy!

I have also seen an alarmingly increasing trend to proper bling your mota West Coast style, by fitting wheel trims that immitate those stupid spinner alloy wheels. Last one I saw was on an old style Rover 400

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Lucky kitty

Regarding Bazzas comments:

- I probably should be always using my full lights instad of fogs for dusk and actually do much of the time. Promise to try harder

- Regarding Bazzas comment about the fogs not helping on very winding roads I would have to say that its still my impression that they do.

Some of the roads I'm was talking about are very narrow tortously winding roads where you have to drive very close the edge of the verge when oncoming cars are coming around a corner.
I have dodged more than one evil pothole or "fallen away" verge at the last minute thanks to the fogs.

I'll try and be 100% objective next time I'm on such a road and see if I'm just fooling myself - promise to report back for punishment here if I'm guilty.
I would take a video clip of the difference except I'm cursed with having purchased a Canon DV camcorder that is utterly incapable of taking outdoor pictures after dusk. Great cameras, lousy digital camcorders

BTW I regret not having got Halogen lights for the GTA, but given I had the one of the first GTAs in the country it would have meant a substantial delay not to take one of the intial standard cars shipped to dealers.
Must checkout some aftermarket Xenon bulbs..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

No problem - don't hold back
I happily offer myself as a victim for the greater merriment of AO members!

Good point though Lynn, I see you too have come up with an excellent extra use for fog lights
Obviously that main headlight just broke on this journey so the person wanted to be as visible as possible on their unavoidable night trip home.

Have you ever met a "one eyed monster" cars with the right side main headlamp not working on a minor road on a wet night?
They look like a motorcycle staying well on their side of the road..
They generally give oncoming cars a bit of a shock when cars get near them and realise that there isn't quite as much room to pass as previously thought .

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb
I'll need to add Trailbraker's explanation to this list now

The one that always amazes me is when they have a dipped light out and still use fogs
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaMartini
At the slightest sign of fog on go all the hazard warning lights, which totally obliterates any chance of actually observing the road/kerbs/verges ahead. The local expat' operated FM stations are constantly reminding drivers of the correct procedures but this doesn't seem to have any effect.
I know I've ranted about this before, but here the opposite behaviour is demonstrated. Whenever we get that deep, heavy, blinding type of fog that actually requires as much lighting as possible -- including fog lights -- every moron on the road who normally drives with every light on shuts them all off. No fog lights, no exterior lights (except the forward daytime drive lights that can't be shut off) at all. That means if you come up behind one of these dolts you can't see them, and you risk rear ending them.

And before anybody asks me how do I know its the same group of idiots, all I can say is that I have numbers on my side. It seems to be roughly the same percentage of morons who drive with their foglights on in clear weather as it is who drive with their lights off in bad weather.

And yes fog lights can be blinding in clear weather -- especially at night. They drive me batty -- especially the ones on higher (trucks and SUVs and vans).
--Toronto
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I will defend you trailbreaker....
I find the same on a dark wet night with crap visibility they seem to help you locate the verge when negotiating twisty back roads. I do feel guilty using them though and often turn them off again after a few people have flashed.
It's a balance betwenn seeing and not dazzling people, tricky sometimes.

Talking of fog lights does anybody else find there rear fogs come on if you start a face lift 156 up with the dip headlights lights on?. Both mine have done it occasionaly. It's embarrassing sometimes
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

I always knew you were a good egg VM
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch
I find the same on a dark wet night with crap visibility they seem to help you locate the verge when negotiating twisty back roads. I do feel guilty using them though and often turn them off again after a few people have flashed.

Talking of fog lights does anybody else find there rear fogs come on if you start a face lift 156 up with the dip headlights lights on?. Both mine have done it occasionaly. It's embarrassing sometimes
I have driven off from visiting friends more than once said goodbye as I have driven past, and they have said my rear fogs are on. I always put it down to the switch being by the handbrake and me knocking it, you got me wondering now.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch

i too agree with yourself and trailbreaker and do use them on backroads, but only backroads and switch them off again when in an illuminated area or main road. regarding the rear fog coming on yes i get this but i've noticed that it is only when the outside temperature is below 2.5 degc and i've got used to turning the damn things off after turning the lights on, apparently its a 'software problem' according to the dealer, and while we are on the subject of lights one of my hates (other than people not having lights on in poor conditions) are the t1ts who decide that because they have one headlight out they will put the remaining one on main beam i mean what the **** is that about

Hurrah to my friends and hearty rasberries to mine enemies!
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Didn't realise the rear fog light thing was temperature related, it thought it might be dampness, but you could well be right.
Is the one headlamp thing an illusion or is something to do with the extra power to the one remaining headlight. I know what you mean by them being brighter but I can't believe thay always drive with it on main beam. It's like looking at bloody lighthouse

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
foglights , front

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page