First AR Service Experience - Place your bets - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: How will the main dealer experience go?
Will I be greatly relieved and find everything done perfectly, a hassle free experience. 3 15.79%
Will I be satisfied that the service is completed, some other problems fixed and the remaining ones diagnosed with parts on order. 7 36.84%
Will I slightly disappointed that the service is complete but none of the warranty issues have been fixed or that all parts are on order. 5 26.32%
Will I be very disappointed that the service runs over time, the car is returned dirty and no warranty work is done? 2 10.53%
Will I be seriously let down to the point where even the promised courtesy car isn't provided. 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 09-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

First AR Service Experience - Place your bets

So, tomorrow I take my GT in for it's 24,000 miles / 24 month service. I've been quoted 280 for the job and promised a courtesy car that I don't have to pay anything for. I've also been asked if there's anything else on the car that I want looked at under warranty. I gave a not inconsiderable list that includes dash creaks, water leaks, strange clutch pedal behaviour and a faulty passenger seat latch (rear seat access).

The question is, how do you reckon my main dealer service experience will go.

Will I be greatly relieved and find everything done perfectly, a hassle free experience.

Will I be satisfied that the service is completed, some other problems fixed and the remaining ones diagnosed with parts on order.

Will I slightly disappointed that the service is complete but none of the warranty issues have been fixed or that all parts are on order.

Will I be very disappointed that the service runs over time, the car is returned dirty and no warranty work is done?

Will I be seriously let down to the point where even the promised courtesy car isn't provided.

Place your bets, you have 48 hours until we find out the result.

DC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Re: First AR Service Experience - Place your bets

Judging on past experiences......the latter rather than the former....

I'm betting on.......2.....no.....3 return trips until you're satisfied.....

AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCane
Will I be greatly relieved and find everything done perfectly, a hassle free experience.

I am forever the optimist

Good luck, mate - don't let me down

i'm going no.2 - reasonably optimistic

my 12k was alright......good luck!
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Quote:

Will I be satisfied that the service is completed, some other problems fixed and the remaining ones diagnosed with parts on order.
This is what I've found with all the FIATs I've ever had. Hoping for better when the 147 gets its 24k service later this month!
Good luck,

Vin
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

2 if your lucky, 3 if you are normal
AO Gold Member

Not sure where you're taking it, but I reckon the second one if you're going to Simonstones. I haven't found them to be too bad for the few problems I've had with mine. They fixed the boot leak, warned me how long they'd want it in for, got me a loan car and phoned a couple of times to let me know what was happening. No problems since - touch wood.

Good luck anyway
(Post Link) post #8 of 26 Old 10-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

So far so good.

I arrived at 8am, the job card for my car was sitting on the desk waiting for me to arrive. The card had a full list of the warranty jobs I'd requested and there was a '55' reg 147 with a full tank of fuel waiting for me to drive away.

Let's hope I end up a satisfied customer

ps: The 147 feels rather well built. I'd read comments from Karl-Heinz Kalbfell about a new (ex-BMW) quality director wielding a large stick and noticable improvements already. I have to say that this 147 does feel better put together (no squeaks, creaks or rattles) than my car which was built 15 months earlier.

DC
AO Platinum Member

Full tank of fuel!!!

WOW!!!

Lets hope the day carries on in the same vain!
AO Gold Member

A good start

(blimey, this is more exciting than Corrie!!!! )
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Thumbs Up Re: First AR Service Experience - Place your bets

A full tank of petrol is indeed shocking ... whatever next

... everytime I've had the use of a courtesy car, the low fuel warning light has always been on

Good luck
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I thought it was a national sport to see how low you can run the petrol on a Punto.
Punto you will note not 147
(Post Link) post #13 of 26 Old 10-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

Here's an interim report for you. I won't be getting the car back until Thursday morning, but this is more a result of where I live and work compared to the location of the dealership.

Basically they've completed the service, found the cause of the water leak and fixed it, found the cause of the sticking mechanism on the passenger seat and fixed it, found the source of the noisy door hinge and ordered a new check strap. They've noticed the wron clutch pedal rubber and ordered a replacement....so far so good.

One of the warranty fixes I asked them to do was get rid of the creaking from the dash. When they road tested the car they couldn't hear the creak, so we agreed that they should test it again in the morning when it's fresh and cold. Unfortunately this means that I can't collect my car AND go to work without loosing a day of holiday, so I'll collect it 1st thing Thursday morning instead.

To put this into perspective, when my car went to Bishop's in Guildford a few months ago they said that to fix the passenger seat they'd need the car for 2 days to strip it down. For the leak they said it needed a new seal. For the creaking dash they said that they couldn't hear it and that was that. What a difference in attitude.

For the record, the car is currently at Lisles of Hitchin, and so far I'm actually really impressed.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
For the record, the car is currently at Lisles of Hitchin, and so far I'm actually really impressed.
So you haven't gone to Simonstones then - not sure why I thought you were based in Bristol!!!!

Anyway, good to hear it's going well
AO Gold Member

Quote:
So you haven't gone to Simonstones then - not sure why I thought you were based in Bristol!!!!

Anyway, good to hear it's going well
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 11-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

I'm getting the car back tomorrow morning. I've just spoken to the garage again and they're giving me the reassurance that they're really trying to find the causes of the dash creaking and the notchy clutch pedal.

I doubt they'll get the clutch pedal to do it's notchy thing cos it doesn't happen until about 1 hour into your journet and usually in rush hour queueing.

However, in their investigations a worn trackrod end has been discovered and replaced today.

Although they've had my car for 2 days, I am happy with the service I've been getting. The man at the other end of the phone is giving me the information I need with the level of detail that I want. Worn bits are being found and replaced under warranty without me needing to promt them to do anything. This is how it should be.

And I've got a new courtesy car with a full tank of fuel. Hopefully when I collect the car tomorrow, the bill will be the 280 quoted originally. If it is, I will be a happy customer, in an odd 280 poorer kind of way. Fine, I have to take the car back to have a new check strap fitted but that's a 90 minute while-I-wait job which I can live with. It'll be a 90 mins where I secure my test drive of a Brera the second it arrives in their showroom

DC
AO Platinum Member

I am really in shock David!

This sounds like customer.....s.....s.....s.....service!!! A word not often used to describe AR dealers!

Well done and hope the GT comes back as good as new!
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:

They are the Dealers that have looked after my 147 for 2 years....

I have no complaints and they do seem to be very much on the ball

Don't forget to fill the tank on your Courtesy car before you take it back

Good Luck
AO Silver Member

well what a turn up for the books, if we had more dealers like this there would be a lot more happy customers
(Post Link) post #20 of 26 Old 12-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

Thumbs Up Re: First AR Service Experience - Place your bets

I've got the car back now.

They weren't able to find the clutch feel issue or the creaking dash problems BUT I can understand why- They only start playing up after an hour of stop-start rush hour traffic. The door leak is fixed and the passenger seat sliding lever is now miles better than it was.
The price was exactly as quoted and generally I'm happy. The driver door check strap will be replaced when the part comes in and the bonnet lining is getting replaced as it has some minging looking fluid stains.

My only complaint is that the car wasn't washed at all

When the car goes in for the check strap replacement, I'll drive it round for a while first to get the dsah creaking and the clutch pedal feel issue to manifest themselves. That way they'll be able to see exactly what issues I've noticed.

All in all, not bad at all. I'll definitely be using Lisles again.

DC

Very good. Glad to hear at least one dealer not living up to the usual couldn't care less gum chewing attitude.

Interested to read about this clutch feel problem you talk about. I too seem to feel an ever so slight change in clutch pedal action when the car has warmed up - say on a long journey- kind of like a tight cable. Is this what you have found or is it something different entirely?
(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 12-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

Yes Will, it feels like a tight cable, but being a hydraulic clutch this can't be the case.
It's likely to be a seal within the clutch master cylinder that's getting dry with constant use OR an air bubble in the fluid when it's hot.

The fluid gets changed at the 36,000 mile / 3 year service. I'll supply my own Dot 5 fluid for that one, maybe that'll fix it.

DC
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:

My only complaint is that the car wasn't washed at all

All in all, not bad at all. I'll definitely be using Lisles again.

DC
Good it's not just me that thinks they are OK

They have usually asked me if I want the car washed 'cause they put it through the AutoWash and some AlfaOwners prefer not to use them. Just grinds all the muck into the paintwork.

Let's hope they keep up the good work
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 12-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

It's fine, I'll get it hand washed tonight. I can't be bothered to wash it myself, it's too cold and I'm getting a cold....need to shake that off before I go snowboarding.

I might see if I can get the radio controls on the steering wheel replaced under warranty. The paint on the buttons has worn away on 3 of them and the red light shines through. It looks a bit cheap for my liking. I also need the wheel arch liner looked at and the seal on the top of the rear hatch, but I really didn't want to ask for too many warranty jobs on my first visit. I'll book it in for those when the check strap is replaced.

DC
AO Gold Member

Nice to hear about some good service from a dealer for once

This is the sort of thing that actually encourages business - that's why I can't understand why other dealers can't do the same. It's not just a case of what they do, it's more a case of how they go about the job. A bit of courtesy and communication with the customer goes a long way.......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
bets , experience , place , service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page