Which generation are you? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Which generation are you?
iPod 16 64.00%
iPlod 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 04-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Which generation are you?

iPod

or

iPlod

g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

harrythesnotgobbler

Re: Which generation are you?

still got my original click wheel ipod from a few years ago, must be a collectors item now

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

4th generation non-photo
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Original Sony Walkman cassette player for me

2G, 4G (U2), and 5G. Multi-generation?

Vinyl played through Valve amps for me
Jeez, how stuck in the past am i
AO Member

Member car:

hairdressers car

defo one of the i-prod generation, currently listening to les ferdinand, the chrysler chiefs and katie toadstool!

I am of the "Dansette" generation. Single play 5 Watt thermionic coal powered valves. Thinking of up-grading to Garard SP25 turntable with amstrad power amp and goodmans speakers but might be a bit to techno for me.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

SW = Short Wave, not Sport Wagon.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Moaning Re: Which generation are you?

My Mini just blew its battery. American products are all the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattireland
defo one of the i-prod generation, currently listening to les ferdinand, the chrysler chiefs and katie toadstool!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

I'm a bit in both camps, I have a 70s Garrard Deck mated to a mint 70s marantz power amp and ancient Wharfedale speakers, but then I also have my mac hooked up to this and about 10000 mp3s to go at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattireland

Tee heee. piggin' eck I'm slow!
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

I am thinking of joining the modern era - I have just ordered some steel needles for my phonograph to save me having to sharpen the bamboo ones.

Can anyone tell me if the new ones will give a harsher sound than the mellow tone imparted by wood?

Paul.

Last edited by PaulR; 06-01-06 at 16:15. Reason: incompetance
EddieGTA

Don't own and wont own an ipod, just a fashion accessory. At the moment still have a minidisc player else I stick some mp3 on the memory stick in my phone and use that.

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR
I am thinking of joining the modern era - I have just ordered some steel needles for my phonograph to save me having to sharpen the bamboo ones.

Can anyone tell me if the new ones will give a harsher sound than the mellow tone imparted by wood?

Paul.
You will find that there is a considerable volume increase with steel needles.......

I have found that a rolled up 'Gentlemans' short sock gently pushed into the phonograph horn can be used to control the output volume.

Now for the tonal quality:

Woollen socks seem to give the best results as they produce a softer accent on the high notes....

However there is a new fangled material called "Nylon" that will not reduce the stentorian bellow of your machine quite as much as wool but can produce surprisingly good Bass qualities

And finally if you notice that the output quality reduces after 5 or 6 renditions of the platter simply rotate the needle, axially, through ~30 degrees and retighten the locking screw. This will extend the life of the latest steel needles and the process can be repeated at least 3 times.

I would however caution you that these new steel needles have been reported to wear out your platters within 30 - 40 listenings

Lastly, always use an "HMV Instantaneous Speed Tester" to ensure that the platter rotation is exactly 78 rpm

Happy Listening
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfagj
You will find that there is a considerable volume increase with steel needles.......

I have found that a rolled up 'Gentlemans' short sock gently pushed into the phonograph horn can be used to control the output volume.

Now for the tonal quality:

Woollen socks seem to give the best results as they produce a softer accent on the high notes....

However there is a new fangled material called "Nylon" that will not reduce the stentorian bellow of your machine quite as much as wool but can produce surprisingly good Bass qualities

And finally if you notice that the output quality reduces after 5 or 6 renditions of the platter simply rotate the needle, axially, through ~30 degrees and retighten the locking screw. This will extend the life of the latest steel needles and the process can be repeated at least 3 times.

I would however caution you that these new steel needles have been reported to wear out your platters within 30 - 40 listenings

Lastly, always use an "HMV Instantaneous Speed Tester" to ensure that the platter rotation is exactly 78 rpm

Happy Listening

So, in short, your answer to my question is "Yes".

Thank you.

I will steel myself for the possibilty of a worn platter (or two).

I have, of course, availed myself of the "HMV Instantaneous Speed Tester" and very useful Nipper is too - one bark per rpm. However despite putting him in a "smell proof" environment by sealing the room with oilskins around the door frames and windows, the odd aroma hit his nostrils and may have made him lose concentration.
That notwithstanding, I now believe I have the latest equipment (Nipper "n" socks of various hue) which will allow me to experience true lifelike sound.

Only the advice received via this forum could have allowed me to progress so far into the modern world.

Paul

Last edited by PaulR; 06-01-06 at 20:55. Reason: acknowledgement
AO Silver Member

County: -

Just 29, but no Ipod for me My cd's just won't fit in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR
So, in short, your answer to my question is "Yes".

Thank you.

I will steel myself for the possibilty of a worn platter (or two).

I have, of course, availed myself of the "HMV Instantaneous Speed Tester" and very useful Nipper is too - one bark per rpm. However despite putting him in a "smell proof" environment by sealing the room with oilskins around the door frames and windows, the odd aroma hit his nostrils and may have made him lose concentration.
That notwithstanding, I now believe I have the latest equipment (Nipper "n" socks of various hue) which will allow me to experience true lifelike sound.

Only the advice received via this forum could have allowed me to progress so far into the modern world.

Paul
Good to hear from fellow audio buffs. A question though.
I'm having a little trouble with speed consistencies and was wondering if "Nipper" worked with wax cylinders as well as the shellac flat platters you chaps are using. "Mr. Eddison" has developed quite substantial "Wow & Flutter" so i was wondering if "Nipper" could be used to test this?
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire

Will be interested on any update on this as I am experiencing a little inconsistency on playback of our pianola rolls......
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Oh dear..............

Wax cylinders............and Pianola rolls

I'm afraid my Instantaneous Speed Tester is of no help to either of you

Isn't it about time that the music industry agreed on a standard format for music rendition so that we don't have these horrendous incompatibilities with modern technology.

As you can see from the attached Daguerreotype my unit is incapable of solving either problem..... where will it all end

Last edited by GJ; 06-06-07 at 08:16.
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfagj
Oh dear..............

Wax cylinders............and Pianola rolls

I'm afraid my Instantaneous Speed Tester is of no help to either of you

Isn't it about time that the music industry agreed on a standard format for music rendition so that we don't have these horrendous incompatibilities with modern technology.

As you can see from the attached Daguerreotype my unit is incapable of solving either problem..... where will it all end

I am afraid that Monsieur Daguerre's technology does not interact with mine and I cannot see your image.

I use something called a "photograph" which, I believe, attempts to achieve the same effect.

I do, however, agree with you - why oh why cannot manufacturers agree a standard from the outset when "new" technology is introduced?

Paul.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

The only player I can see worth having is iAudio X5L. But it is still lacking features I want and cost too much. So I just use the MP3 CD player I have in the car. Spend a lot of time in front of the computer at work so just play MP3s through the computer.
AO Silver Member

Had an original iPod for about 4 years and bought my wife a Mini in Feb - but liked the new ones so much that we sold our two old ones and now have 2 4GB Nanos and a 60GB iPod Video (I also have 5 working Macs, so I must admit to being a little bit of a Mac nut!...). The Nanos are fantastic, especially with the Lanyard cable earphones that let you wear it like a necklace, and the iPod video is simply amazing! I am watching the first season of Lost right now and can't believe how clear and bright the picture is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTACharlie
simply amazing! I am watching the first season of Lost right now and can't believe how clear and bright the picture is!
Argh! Last two progs of first season on here just now. How does it end? Are we any the wiser as to WTH it's all about?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
generation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page