Is 'coz' acceptable - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Is 'coz' acceptable?
Yes. Probably coz it's so much shorter than because 9 31.03%
No, it's a despicable mutation of our language. 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 13-10-05 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Is 'coz' acceptable

I generally despise the use of txtspk on forums. But I seem to have this blind spot where 'coz' instead of because is concerned. I know not why. I use it all the time.
So... should I? Is it for some reason acceptable? Or am I a big chav with a mobile phone fixation?
(That's definitely not true by the way, it takes me about half an hour to text anything more complex than hello. I usually just go to the person and say it, less bother)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Re: Is 'coz' acceptable

i voted yes as it saves time....

all other text speak is crap though
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I'm not especially fond of "coz" but I consider it more slang than "text messaging speak." In that light it doesn't bother me too much -- especially as so much "Brit speak" works its way into the posts here and into daily language.

Besides, we all know how hard it is for bears to type long words -- fuzzy paws and long claws don't make touch typing easy.
--Toronto
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

I do not like it....and yes I am a grumpy old man today

AO Silver Member

A short reply from Toronto Brit Speak makes a change from all the terminology coming from Uncle Sam's land.
Because is a lovely word especially if you add "I love you"
It was a big hit for Slade
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

How's that for a short answer?

As for American slang, I'm perfectly happy to forgo listening to (or reading) any more of it than I already do. It really does seep into the culture and the language, and most of it isn't a welcomed addition.
--Toronto
(Post Link) post #7 of 35 Old 14-10-05 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider
I'm not especially fond of "coz" but I consider it more slang than "text messaging speak." In that light it doesn't bother me too much -- especially as so much "Brit speak" works its way into the posts here and into daily language.

Besides, we all know how hard it is for bears to type long words -- fuzzy paws and long claws don't make touch typing easy.
--Toronto
Now you mention it, they could do with clipping

I think on balance I will try to stop doing it. I faintly irritate myself when I do it, so it makes sense to stop.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

No, Bazza, you are contributing to the demise of the English language, and the proliferation of Americanisms, "txtspk" and general nonsense into accepted parlance.

I always make a conscious effort to post my messages in long hand, to use proper punctuation, and I even spell check my postings, as I try to take a pride in all my written communications.

I believe the ability to write properly seems to be dying out in this country (what do they teach kids in schools today? ). There is hardly anyone in our office under the age of 40 who can write a decently formatted report for work, or even put together a decent e-mail, and the standard of spelling (even on systems with spell-checkers ) is atrocious. This, to my mind, is a very sad state of affairs.

Having said that, I have been known to use " 'cos " in my postings. However, you should know that I thrash myself with a birch every time I use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider
How's that for a short answer?
Pretty good, Tor - is that a record?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I agree with everything GC said, even though I tend to be guilty of sloppyness in my posts. This is because a) I'm at work and often need to sneak in a quickly cobbled-together post b) the rest of my written work has to be top-notch. So I kinda (!) let my hair down a bit here. (i like to get my excuses in early)

But there are other car sites where I read posts that are complete and utter gibberish; a combination of a garbled thought process, text-speak, laughable spelling and zero punctuation. And that's the better ones.

Brian Friel's play Translations touches on the theme - and dangers of - language being eroded, rather well.

g
AO Silver Member

I don't see the problem with it in direct speech - every country (even regions within countries) have their own abbreviations.
What matters is that the person using it can be understood and the word COZ is I think a wonderful abbreviation of the word BECAUSE.

I mean what is the difference between saying "I understand" and "I see" nothing - except it takes longer to say and write.

Writing however needs a more formal approach where the word COZ would not be acceptable as it may be read by people who don't understand the word at first glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy
I don't see the problem with it in direct speech - every country (even regions within countries) have their own abbreviations.
What matters is that the person using it can be understood and the word COZ is I think a wonderful abbreviation of the word BECAUSE.
Agreed. In the US, it's mostly 'cuz' instead of 'cos' and that started long before sms took off.
AO Silver Member

To reply to Green Cloverleaf about what they teach in school these days
my daughter aged 8 has been learning all about HOMOGRAPHS and had to write 20 or more examples for homework last night. ( which in reality means the parents have to)
Proper letter writing note taking etc is a subject that I only got to grips with when I undertook an ONC in Public Administration back in the days of Ted Heath
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

So Steve, did you get your homework done? Care to show your list to the class?
--Toronto
AO Silver Member

County: Anglesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve20
To reply to Green Cloverleaf about what they teach in school these days
my daughter aged 8 has been learning all about HOMOGRAPHS and had to write 20 or more examples for homework last night. ( which in reality means the parents have to)
Proper letter writing note taking etc is a subject that I only got to grips with when I undertook an ONC in Public Administration back in the days of Ted Heath
I don't think I could manage 10! (is that coz i is thick! )

Buck
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cloverleaf
I always make a conscious effort to post my messages in long hand, to use proper punctuation, and I even spell check my postings, as I try to take a pride in all my written communications.
So do I. I even have better grammar and spelling than A LOT of people that write in a US-based forum I often visit. It's a videogame forum, maybe that explains something, but it shouldn't. You see, I love languages, and I defend Spanish above them all, it's my maiden language, and I truly cherish it, and it saddens me when people destroy it or are just too lazy to use the proper words that we have in our own language and just "adopt" English terms... "Forwardear" *shudder* suddenly popped into my mind. We should say "reenviar"...

And yes, English is my SECOND language...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." --Herr Einstein

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2284&dateline=1258047  155
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

I dont bother spell checking my posts as i see that to be a bit OTT...

I also know how to spell properly too
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange
i dont bother spell checking my posts as i see that to be a bit OTT...

i also know how to spell properly too
Shame you can't find the capital 'I'.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell
Shame you can't find the capital 'I'.

What you on about Roswell like
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
What ARE you on about Roswell like ?
Nicely edited mate.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Nicely edited mate.

you should have quoted me then old bean like
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
you should have quoted me then old bean like
I did.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
I did.
you have changed it so it looked like i was using lower case i but i was really using caps m8
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
you have changed it so it looked like i was using lower case i but i was really using caps m8
Maybe not eh?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6TS

everything is acceptable to me as long as it can be read by other ppl.

who doesnt understand dat 'wit' means with? or 'dat' means that. well if u dont u either need to go out more or just marry a member of the ROYAL family.

just for the faint hearted 'ppl' means people
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Personally I find posts that are written in slang or abreviated text are harder to read, this is because I have to translate the post into real english as I go along. This is probably due to me reading lots of books and I never text message, so I'm conditioned to having the written word presented in a certain way.

What follows is pure conjecture on my part, however it would be good to get some feedback from the texting nation on here regarding its validity.

Person A is a die hard texter and doesn't read well written literature on a daily basis (and I don't mean The Sun, that's written with the reading age of an eleven year old in mind). Person A is conditioned to find txtspk to be the norm, hence reading a well composed post on here may well be a lot harder because Person A has to translate it back to txtspk. I'm not saying that this is bad, it's just a condition of Person A's environment.

Person B works in an environment where he or she has to read a lot of technical documentation, and write their own, because of this Person B tend's to have a wider vocabulary and uses it when writing. There are people who may work and live in an environment where they don't read and because of this their written vocabulary and ability to construct a written response is retarded.

In no way does this mean that Person B is superior to someone who is indicative of Person A's environment. It just mean's that through Person B's experiences they have become more adept at writing as a skill.

I hope this doesn't come across as personal attack on anyone from the Person A tribe. It is not meant as such, we are all products of our environment.

Respectfully

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
acceptable , coz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page