Would you buy a hybrid/electric alfa??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Hybrid/electric alfa, yes or no??
Yes 8 50.00%
No, I might as well just go buy a prius! 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

EddieGTA

Would you buy a hybrid/electric alfa???

OK so reading all this stuff about the cost of oil and the vastly over estimated reserves, got me wondering if alfa were to produce a hybrid car or a purely electric one, would us alfisti buy it? there are a lot of reasons people buy an alfa, style being one of them which wouldn't change. But what about an eerily silent electric car, would the lack of a throaty 4 pot or burbly V6 make you shy away from alfa?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Would you buy a hybrid/electric alfa???

I hate electric cars basically because I like to hear the sound of an engine. I know people might think im mad to say this but I love the sound of a nice modern diesel engine (which is what is in my GT) If the GT was a hybrid would I buy it?.... well only if it was all that was avalable.
The only hybrid I want is one of those electric wheel chairs - they are so snazzy now with indicators etc and everyone gets out of your way
It would be almost like going back to driving my BMW
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I voted yes, coz in 20 years there will be no internal combustion engines that you can afford to run unless it's on vegetable oil or hydrogen. Somehow, I don't think they'll sound the same anyway.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD SV

Unfortunatley it is a fact of life that we will all be driving differently powered cars in the future. Perhaps (pure) Biodiesel is a way forward that would allow us to have engines similar to today and use a renewable resource. I am sure the hybrids will also improve and become sportier.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Although I don't read the Guardian or wear lycra shorts, I do believe the environment is going to come up and bite us on the @rse so we will inevitably see these cars more and more. I say if Alfa do one why not?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy
I hate electric cars basically because I like to hear the sound of an engine. I know people might think im mad to say this but I love the sound of a nice modern diesel engine (which is what is in my GT) If the GT was a hybrid would I buy it?.... well only if it was all that was avalable.
The only hybrid I want is one of those electric wheel chairs - they are so snazzy now with indicators etc and everyone gets out of your way
It would be almost like going back to driving my BMW
I've driven a hybrid, and trust me, you can hear the sound of the engine. It is only when the vehicle is at idle that it's quiet, but even then it's not that strange a sensation. Most modern cars aren't that loud at idle, and if you've got the radio on and you're parked at a noisy city intersection, you don't really hear the engine sound anyway.

Before driving the hybrid, I had been mostly driving the weed whacker with the roof down -- i.e. the Alfa -- and I did find the hybrid very quiet, but once I hopped back into my fixed roof daily driver and made a deliberate attempt to listen to the difference, I didn't find the hybrid that silent.

I'm not at all convinced that hybrids are the answer. Recently there has been some much deserved backlash against certain types of hybrids (see http://www.earthtoys.com/emagazine.p...&article=naftc for the differences). I wish I had the studies in front of me, but some hybrids manufacturers are focusing on using the electric power to boost performance (i.e. supplementing the power being put out by overly weak engines) and not on improved mileage.
--Toronto

[EDIT: Not the actual report, but the closest I can find in a quick search: http://www.aidc.co.za/index.php?pid=1832&ct=1 ]

Last edited by Toronto Spider; 16-09-05 at 19:21.
AO Silver Member

having driven a prius i am not at all impressed and the chap who i work with only gets 36mpg when on long motorway journey at around 80mph (got 32 over 200miles in the gta at that speed last weekend) he does get around 56 urban cycle though.
Fuel cell vehicles which have the same performance as an average car (say 1.6 or 60kw) will not be silent due to the need for quite a high powered compressor to feed there need for air, if this is a rotary compressor then it will give a revving sound as you up the power, just one option......

Hurrah to my friends and hearty rasberries to mine enemies!
AO Gold Member

County: -

I will go Electric-hybrid when I am forced by circumstances to do so and not before.

Sow maybe we wil get a sun powered Alfa will high performance 'light enhancing' technology amd everyone will see the "Light' so to speak

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,
ARRGGHH the thought, and if i was forced to by law, i would have to turn into some sort of mad max character, till i drained every last drop a petrol of the earth

im sorry but cant be doin, electrical appliances,DAMM, im sorry i read this thread now burrrr im cold now
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-r
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,
ARRGGHH the thought, and if i was forced to by law, i would have to turn into some sort of mad max character, till i drained every last drop a petrol of the earth

im sorry but cant be doin, electrical appliances,DAMM, im sorry i read this thread now burrrr im cold now
WOW I wasn't expecting a response like that

I have to admit that I love my GTA and don't feel too guilty driving such a big car, at the end of the day it is probably more environmental that the chav down the road in his old nova/fiesta. I did find it quite scary reading that when OPEC introduced quotas a lot of oil producing nations overnight increaded their predicted available oil fields. We rely on oil so much, not just for cars and just how long is it going to last. Wind power, wave power and all that c*ap are simply not good enough. It might seem bad but the only abundant source of energy for electricity will be from nuclear power, yes there is radioactive waste but it does not directly damage the environment like burning fossil fuel. Don't somehow think a nuclear powered alfa would be viable though, fuel cell though

AO Silver Member

fuelcells, yes they do work trust me, and no i wouldn't swap one for my V6, yet, but given the time and money they could be made as exiting as the beloved internal combustion engine (which has had over 100 years of development)
AO Member

County: Copenhagen

Member car:

73-Spider 2000

As long as I live - no hybrid can replace an Alfa engine without taking some of the soul away.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

I would go for a Hybrid Alfa, but not a pure electic version. I would also like to see a dual-fuel Alfa. Let's face it, petrol will run out sooner or later.

County: Surrey

make way for the pasta-powered Alfa, I say

g
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

I'd go for a hybrid - why not if it's cheaper to run?

No reason why it shouldn't use a little V6 either.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Poll Room

Tags
alfa , buy , hybrid or electric

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page