Have you ever walked out of a job? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Have you ever walked out of a bad job?
Yes I walked out and have no regrets. 22 48.89%
Yes but I wish I had not. 1 2.22%
No, and I would never walk out with nothing to go to. 7 15.56%
No but I would if I felt I had no choice. 9 20.00%
No as I have commitments but would walk if I had none. 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

EddieGTA

Have you ever walked out of a job?

I ask because at this moment I am writing my resignation letter, as is my colleague. Trust me when I say things are getting bad, I have an idea of some things that are happening and it is only going to get worse. I can't really go into detail, but I just wonder if anyone has walked out of a job with nothing to go to and what they now think of that. I feel my job takes up all of my time at the moment to the point I cannot easily find another job due to lack of time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Re: Have you ever walked out of a job?

Sometimes the simple act of regaining your life is worth doing such drastic things.
AO Silver Member

I have never done it but I have often thought about it - I really hate my job now (it was not always like that though) I have another 8 years to retirement but I could do another 11 if I wanted to.
Still what would I do if I left? It is not so easy especially when I don't really have any qualification for anything.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I quit a very well paid job five years ago to go into business myself, with no funding except a very modest bank overdraft. So far things have worked a treat but, boy, am I tired sometimes.

No regrets whatsoever tho
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA
I ask because at this moment I am writing my resignation letter, as is my colleague. Trust me when I say things are getting bad, I have an idea of some things that are happening and it is only going to get worse. I can't really go into detail, but I just wonder if anyone has walked out of a job with nothing to go to and what they now think of that. I feel my job takes up all of my time at the moment to the point I cannot easily find another job due to lack of time.
Don't do anything stoopid. Burn the place down one weekend... then you'll have time to recharge/find something else while they rebuild it.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Only when I`ve had something better to go to.The responsibility of feeding a family tends to thwart such actions.....
AO Member

Member car:

An Alfa

Eddie GTA - don't worry I'm on the verge of quitting to as I also have had enough. I've also cut my self up about leaving and obtaining references.

Take a short holiday and use it to look for another job, at least you'll get paid for it

However, if you have commitments then leaving a job with out another to go to is not a wise move as you will receive nothing from the state, though if things are that bad then go for it.

I'm currently searching and in the short space of time ~2 weeks - I have had an offer of my previous job back in IT for now as well as loads of help in finding med rep shadowing for my break into medical sales (man its hard).

Hth .

Mozza

Giz a job...
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

When I was younger I had a pretty crap job in a factory. I'd stuck it for 3 or 4 years, but finally could take no more.

Now, looking back, perhaps using phrases like "dead end job" and "wasting my time" are not ideal in a resignation letter but hey - I was young and headstrong!

They must have seen the funny side, as when I went back for a reference they didn't hold it against me.
EddieGTA

Thanks everyone. Bit of a strange poll I know, but everyone I know obviously knows what I am up against and just says quit else they are concerned and say it is unwise. I wanted an unbiased view from some people I could trust and as ever AO was there

Not quit yet, but my colleague who is in the same situation isn't here yet LOL. Though she sent me a text assuring me she would be in.

I figure what the heck, I have enough to keep me going for a few months and reckon on finding something a bit mundane or short term contract to wind down for a while.

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Hi Eddie,

instead of quitting I think you should perhaps first take advantage of the situation you are now in (and I don't mean malicously).

At face value your posts say that you have come to the point of quitting - I think it would be slightly unwise to quit right now without giving yourself a head start on looking for a new job. Perhaps consider the following before handing in the resignation latter..

..while you are looking for another job!

Don't take any bull!!!!, work professionally for **reasonable** hours and only respond to civilized communication.
It might be worthwhile discretely taking backups of any "unreasonable" mails your empoyer has been sending.
If you have outlook just archive all your communication everything and take it home.
Send your "reasoned objections" to any insanity you are being subjected to in e-mail rather than verbally where appropriate and back them up.

You can actually feel empowered in this situation, you have nothing left to lose, but you are not immediately putting yourself at a financial disadvantage - keep looking for a job as a backup.

BTW I imagine the "EU max working hours" legislation applies equally to Britain as it does to Ireland, your empoyer cannot force you to work hugely long hours without breaking the law.

Just an idea - best of luck whatever you do!

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Bit of a strange poll I know, but everyone I know obviously knows what I am up against and just says quit else they are concerned and say it is unwise. I wanted an unbiased view from some people I could trust and as ever AO was there

Not quit yet, but my colleague who is in the same situation isn't here yet LOL. Though she sent me a text assuring me she would be in.

I figure what the heck, I have enough to keep me going for a few months and reckon on finding something a bit mundane or short term contract to wind down for a while.

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Sooner or later I'll have to take a similar decision in my life. I've been a teacher for the last 7 years (I'm on my 8th) but the situation has always been a [email protected] I dedicate myself to those kids and in the end of the scholar year my contract ends and I face the same situation over and over... new teacher selection, new school, new kids. I should have a permanent place already but the most of the permanent places have already been taken by the oldest teachers. Even with good qualifications I can't get the place that deserve. I haven't done anything before because I had some compromises I couldn't I couldn't ignore (like paying my Alfa) but now... I'm willing to move on. Being a teacher has it's positive aspects. I have more vacations (but we really need that or we would get crazy in no time ) we don't work from 9 to 5 everyday and we end up making something for those kids. But on the other hand, it's a tiring job (believe me ) we end up hearing what we don't want, most of the time our work and effort is not recognized and we don't have the best conditions to work... like my new school... 23 years old and falling apart.

Honestly, I'm tired. I've been saying this to my self in the last couple of years but now I don't see another solution. I want to move to another country and when we don't get the satisfaction we wanted from our current job...

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
145qv

Yes & it was the most satisfying expierence of my life

AO Silver Member

County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145qv
Yes & it was the most satisfying expierence of my life
Ditto, It rendered me without a job for a couple of months, but it made way for my career to go in a totally different direction, which I enjoy much more

Kick them in the nuts, I'd say
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Ediie, i agree with the people who say don't quit without having another job to go to.
I'm in the same position as you, i'm looking for another job so i can walk on this one. I've walked out of the office a couple of times but not the job yet for the following reasons:
I'd much rather say "I'm looking to change jobs to further my career" in an interview than try and explain why i walked out of a job without sounding like i'm unreliable and impulsive, and without slagging off the company i walked from.
Trying to convince someone you're employable when you're not employed is tricky.
I'd like a positive job reference from this company as it will be the most relevant.
I can be more choosy about my next job as i'm not under pressure to find one immediately.
They're still paying me so i'm still getting money, and as i know i'm walking i've backed off of how much i care which makes it much more bearable. I'm using the company now, but they;ve used me so i'm just balancing things up.

But all situations are different, good luck whatever you decide to do.

Quinn is Tintin, Q is Betty Boop, LeeBex is Mr Benn, Wrinxy Jinxy is a whole Agatha Christie suspense novel by himself. AJ's not a bear but BazzaKarhu the earth pig is. Debs is the Essex Pink Orange fiend. Jason is Marlon, i'm Marlon, Marlon is Spartacus. Chris155 (Andy's dad) ate all the pies. AlfaJack, you b*stard! Jimbo's a superstar. Speedy, Barry, San and Thompatruck turn into pumpkins at midnight.

I had a good job in a city near to me for 5 years. I had a promotion coming to me, more €€€'s & responsibilities... but i was "up for it".

At the same time I had an offer of an 'inter company transfer' to another factory in Altanta, GA, usa..... for 5 years .... i was led to believe. I took the transfer, my wife 7 I wanted to try life in the usa for a while.

After 10 months the co. pulled the plug & moved it to Phoenix. I now believe that the co. knew that ATL could have been a short term plan but never told me. If i had know the job would had ended up there i would NEVER, EVER had accepted the transfer.

Atlanta was hard work but i really felt a part of a great team. Long hours....but i loved it.

Phoenix was 'hell on earth' on many levels. My work load was increased, $$$'s a bit too. My boss, an former "best friend" started to compromise quality for quantity, which did not please me or others. I often had *words* with him about it & he often told me "it'll all work out, you don't see the big picture". I would reply, " i can't even see the canvas coz you don't show it to me"

Eventually, coz I broke an un-written dress code I "retired", effectively I was fired from my post there. At that point i didn't care which term was most applicable as i was well & truely fed up of life in 'hell'. I had an opportinuity to get transferred back 2 months before the last incident but *things* got better, for a breif period as it worked out, so i declined the offer

My ex-best friend looked after himself, choosing not to hep me out in any way to redeem my creditibilty within that company. As a result i'm now *black-listed* from been hired in the irish based company.

Anyways, now i realise that most of it i brought upon myself, i fu(ked up.... on many levels but at least I stood by my priciples of Quailty before quantity......... the dress code issue was just the "straw that broke the camels back". I could type on this for ages & bore you all to tears...but i won't.

So today I work 90 miles from where my family lives, i rent a room in a house near my work, I drive up before the 3 or 4 days/nights of 12 hr shifts, & return to my family at the end of the 3 or 4 days/nights. BTW the work aspect is boooooorrring as could be. Financially we often find that our out-goings are a tad more than our incomings.

Do i regret walking out of my USA job, NO as it was wrecking my head & my family life......... i DO regret the method in which i walked/forced to leave.......... & the consequences of it today. If i had to resign properly "the co. might had offered me a job back in Ireland ..... would i want it...... GOD YES !!!
EddieGTA

Thanks for your reply blackbeauty, thats quite a lot you have been through there. In the end I think you said it all there about standing by your principles. I am lucky that I am not in another country like that, which makes it better for me.

The point you raise is a valid one there too, about doing things the right way. At the moment if I hand my notice in, it will be on good terms. If I stay I seriously run the risk of loosing the plot completely and saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. I seldom lose my temper but actively find myself swearing out loud to the phone and email and already saying more than I should to the wrong people.

I think I need a break from the industry I am in at the moment but would like to come back at some point. Its a small world so I don't want to go on bad terms.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, really appreciate that.

AO Member

County: Copenhagen

Member car:

73-Spider 2000

Did walk from a job - My boss fired me but during my last day he came and asked me to stay - I did but only two days - then I quit and he got !!!!ed

Quote:
Thanks for your reply blackbeauty, thats quite a lot you have been through there. In the end I think you said it all there about standing by your principles. I am lucky that I am not in another country like that, which makes it better for me.

The point you raise is a valid one there too, about doing things the right way. At the moment if I hand my notice in, it will be on good terms. If I stay I seriously run the risk of loosing the plot completely and saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. I seldom lose my temper but actively find myself swearing out loud to the phone and email and already saying more than I should to the wrong people.

I think I need a break from the industry I am in at the moment but would like to come back at some point. Its a small world so I don't want to go on bad terms.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, really appreciate that.
From my experience its important to "retire"/quit on good terms. Also you sanity is important.

If you truely feel that you can quit on good term & afford to be un-employed for a period of time then go for it.

My experience again, for whats its worth, it is very difficult to obtaint employment in a *lesser role* than your qualification than you'd think. Employers are nervous about employing overly-qualified people for mundane roles as thye are bound to leave in the future..... bear than in mind too.

Good luck on your quest to career happiness ..... Pat
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

when i was 17 years old! i got my first job in a food factory making ready made meals! an hour was enogth the smell in there was'nt very plesant! and the job was repetertive! and the cloths they made me wear were awfull! white wellys! white coat and some stupid red cap

i would'nt work there if thay were paying me £2,000 a week wage! (well i suppose i'd have to think about it )
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

i'm looking for a new job now! the presant job im in at the moment has too meny bad points! working on busy roads, doing weekend calls is worst! i was on call last night and i got called 1.00am this mouring (bearing in mind its saturday) did'nt get back till 4:00

im just at this moment prepering some cvs so i can tell my boss to stick it! but i'm not leaving till i find somewere
AO Silver Member

In my opinion working for yourself is the only way to go - provided you have a good plan and capital.
I get much more satisfaction for my property business than my job as a policeman because its something I created and built up over time - only thing is it does not take much time to manage so I stay in my job obviously for the money but also for something to do
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

im a chef bye trade but walked out of my old old job as the head chef was a ****. and now im a restaurant manager and have no regrets of leaving.
EddieGTA

Well I did it. Friday I gave my notice in, and two days previous my colleague did too. I read the forum at work too so I won't go into detail but with development I AM SOOOO glad I did. The big shock has been the surprising amount of support and understanding from other people. Many have shook my hand, hugged me and said things like 'well done' 'how have you lasted so long?' some have also said 'we are f*cked' usually followed by one of the previous comments. I feel like an immense weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and the guy they have sent to do a hand over to took only the morning to turn into a nervous wreck

AO Silver Member

Congrats Eddie - I wish I could do the same but afraid its not possible.
That job must have been a real nightmare - keep us posted on how you get on if thats ok with you of course.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Best of luck mate!

Oh, have you voted already?

TB

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
job , walked

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version