Drepression: Do you suffer from it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from Depression?
Never 4 11.11%
Sometimes 18 50.00%
Only during wet/winter days 2 5.56%
Yes I'm always mildly depressed 4 11.11%
Clinically 5 13.89%
Other 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 50 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter

Drepression: Do you suffer from it?

I find myself from time to time "getting down" in my head ..... I guess its a form of depression.

Typically with the on-set of wet days or with the approaching winter it tends to let it to me. I actually hate Christmas time & I suffer pretty bad around that time of year,,,,, lack of sunshine i think it is.

So do you suffer in any form?

BTW i do love the autumn with leaves flaling, frosty & cripsy weather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Re: Drepression: Do you suffer from it?

Weather / darkness doesn't get me down, but sometimes when life just kicks you under the belt constantly, then I sometimes get a bit depressed
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Only when it applies to my health
Most things I can overcome with a little bit of effort. But if my health is suffering then it gets much more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
I find myself from time to time "getting down" in my head ..... I guess its a form of depression.

Typically with the on-set of wet days or with the approaching winter it tends to let it to me. I actually hate Christmas time & I suffer pretty bad around that time of year,,,,, lack of sunshine i think it is.

So do you suffer in any form?

BTW i do love the autumn with leaves flaling, frosty & cripsy weather
There is a marked difference between what you describe and real depression. If you ever have the miss-fortune to experience it you'll fully understand. The cure for the ails you mention can be a short holiday in the sun whereas for someone suffering clinical depression it can literally mean years of being trapped in mental misery before finally coming out. If you ever feel you are being drawn down that road then seek help at the earliest opportunity. Believe me, with this type of illness prevention is definetely better than cure.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Will is bang on - I've been there and still bear the scars. I have, however, started and sustained a successful business after the intitial descent, but probably only because I got help, both professionally and from friends and family who stood by me during very difficult times.
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Almost three years ago I was on the brink of depression, a real one. I wasn't even there yet, and my whole life had lost all its luster. It was quite scary, because for several months I couldn't see neither an end nor an exit. I still shiver when I think about that time in my life... Horrible...

And yes, I did go to a proffesional for help, and learned one thing. All she could do was guide me towards the "exit", but I was the one who had to do the walking. When I finally got out, it was because I decided I would do it, and yes, it's pretty hard to make that decision, especially because I didn't understand the part I played in all of this. I was waiting for somebody else to tell me the "magic words" I needed to hear, but it was in me to get out.

If you ever feel like that, yes, seek proffesional help immediately, or else you'll sink deeper.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." --Herr Einstein

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2284&dateline=1258047  155
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

only when im in work im constently depressed

is that normal?
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
I actually hate Christmas time
Whats the matter with you are you the grinch or something....or is your name Ebineezer Scrooge .I love Christmas but I must addmit the weather does get me down from time to time, especially when I've gotta go out on a roof top to fix some ones heating
marlon

I was diagnosed with Post Natal Depression about 2 years ago. Yes I am a guy !!!!
My wife suffered from it but it went un-noticed/diagnosed for about 18months. During this time the strain of trying to work out why we argued a lot more and trying to look after our first child got me.
As mentioned before....it is an absolute downward spiral. I was angry all the time and basically took it out on my poor 155 Silverstone.
I had no regard for my life...pulling out to overtake and hammering it towards oncoming traffic. Not because I wanted to cause myself harm, but because I didn't care. Life was like I was watching from somewhere else.....like a blur.
I broke down in tears after 10 years of being together I nearly punched my wife in the face during a row. I stopped and thought "what the hell am I doing ???" I'd never raised a hand to her ever. Next day I was at the Doctors...............

I'm OK now though....I think........

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon
I was diagnosed with Post Natal Depression about 2 years ago. Yes I am a guy !!!!
My wife suffered from it but it went un-noticed/diagnosed for about 18months. During this time the strain of trying to work out why we argued a lot more and trying to look after our first child got me.
As mentioned before....it is an absolute downward spiral. I was angry all the time and basically took it out on my poor 155 Silverstone.
I had no regard for my life...pulling out to overtake and hammering it towards oncoming traffic. Not because I wanted to cause myself harm, but because I didn't care. Life was like I was watching from somewhere else.....like a blur.
I broke down in tears after 10 years of being together I nearly punched my wife in the face during a row. I stopped and thought "what the hell am I doing ???" I'd never raised a hand to her ever. Next day I was at the Doctors...............
I'm OK now though....I think........
Holy crap marlon, I feel s**t for making a joke now....sorry mate, hope your both ok now though
marlon

no probs
"I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible"......a line from a song by The Smiths.

Oh no...that's set me off....I'm going for a drive.....

We're fine now....been off the tablets for a year now

AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Bloody hell Marlon, that is really sad to read, Im glad you and your wife got through it mate,
S.speed

That 'disembodied' and 'from a distance' blurry thing. I seem to drift around the edges of that, never fully sinking down all the way though. My cycling helps a lot because of the endorphins it produces. But if I have a few weeks off the bike, like I have lately, I get bad withdrawal symptoms and horrible black moods. I guess it's all brain chemistry. When I start riding again, I'll be floating on air and all bouncy (and probably very annoying). And then I'll reach a plateau. Just like taking drugs (which I never have)...bizarre.

But like Ant said, the only person who can really get you out of it is yourself. But my God, it's tough.

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

It's amazing when you talk about it how many people have actually, or very nearly, been there
marlon

I agree with you Fraser, it's a taboo subject, yet a very common "condition".

Ant said you have to help yourself. I agree, you get help to push you in the right direction, but it is ultimately up to you to recognise there is a problem and start to look on the "up".

I no longer suffer from "black moods", but very occasionally I feel one coming on and I recognise the signs...which helps me sort it out before it becomes a problem again.

I think I'll have to sort this out for the rest of my life. It only occurs when I get really hacked off......mainly with my job, which I think pushed me over the edge the last time.

If we all meet, should we hug each other ???

Talking about this brings a tear to my eye as I remember what I was like and think how close I was to losing my wife and son

AO Member

Member car:

155 2.0TS 16V

Quote:

If we all meet, should we hug each other ???

Talking about this brings a tear to my eye as I remember what I was like and think how close I was to losing my wife and son
A big 155 hug scheduled for tomorrow evening.......hopefully.
AO Silver Member

Yes - after today - put a nasty scratch on my GT. I was reversing into a gate and the gate latch caught the body work just over the right rear light. Put a bit of a dent in it as well
Well its off to the body shop for me now as well - makes me feel so stupid that I 'Mr oh so careful' managed to damage the GT all by myself

Oops - just thought I might be making light of a subject that shouldn't.

Being a policeman can be very depressing at times - not because of the criminals or the shift work or the dangers - but because of the cynical management who could not care less about helping people or solviing crime - all they want is their next promotion and play such stupid games to achieve it

Quote:
I agree with you Fraser, it's a taboo subject, yet a very common "condition".

This thread is very refreshing, the stigma attached to mental illnesses (of which depression is one) is still prominent in most societies. 1 in 4 adults are expected to suffer from a mental illness in their lifetime.
I have spent most of my working life, about 22 years, in psychiatric nursing and attitudes havn't changed very much in that time, though organizations like Mind and the Sainsburys Centre for Mental Health are doing sterling work educating and raising awareness.
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Ant said you have to help yourself. I agree, you get help to push you in the right direction, but it is ultimately up to you to recognise there is a problem and start to look on the "up".

It is tough, because I took the decision to get out of it several times, but fell back, it took me a great deal of courage to put the past behind and keep living my life as I should, and deserved. It's ugly, no doubt about it. But if you REALLY want to get out of the hole, it can be done, I've been there, and I've done that.

As for feeling so close to losing them, I can bet you that you love and cherish them way more now than you ever did before. There's always light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to walk towards it.
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve GB
1 in 4 adults are expected to suffer from a mental illness in their lifetime.
I have always thought that mental health runs alongside physical health. Both can deteriorate and be "sick" at any time...no-one is immune, we all have mental health issues.

Nice to have someone else from the care sector here

wrinx

Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
I have always thought that mental health runs alongside physical health. Both can deteriorate and be "sick" at any time...no-one is immune, we all have mental health issues.

Nice to have someone else from the care sector here

wrinx
Well, somthing external can hit you pretty hard. Actually, I know that because I commited myself to rebuilding my life and not sinking because of the divorce I didn't fall into depression. The mind rules after all, and of course, the will to live.

Oh, and you must NEVER lose hope, otherwise you will really go deep. I've felt that a couple of times in my life, that's scary...

It's hard to comprehend what it is unless you've lived thru it, I was just on the brink of it, but I do understand what it is, and what it can do to you. It's really serious, it's like a cancer of the mind and the spirit. It can be cured, but it's very hard, and you need loads of determination, and that's pretty hard to come by when the world seems black around you.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

marlon! thats a very sad read m8! and im glad yourself and your wife are now ok
(Post Link) post #23 of 50 Old 04-09-05 Thread Starter

so is there a difference between "depression" & "suicidal tendencies"?

Last edited by Black Beauty; 04-09-05 at 14:09.
S.speed

I guess severe and/or prolonged depression can lead to suicidal tendencies? Even mild depression can lead to thoughts of suicide, but suicidal tendencies are something else.

AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Hi Guys, interesting reading your experiences, i too have suffered and sometimes slip back into the episodes. Mine started when i was working in an IT company, i was really stressed the GP believed that this caused my depression, i had 3 months off and actually left the company, my symptomes were varied and changed almost daily I had no self worth, mood swings, and dark days when i didnt want to do anything or speak to anyone, i later investigated the causes and found that i had a seratonin (sp) deficency which is a chemical in the brain that makes you happier, i was on medication for about 9 months or so seroxat (the stuff all the media coverage is about) it seemed to do the trick and i am now pretty much back to normal although i am not as confident or assertive as i used to be, and do still have so called episodes, my wife is really tuned into it and recognises before me when i am going off, we seem to manage it quite well, but its sometimes a bit scary. Before i experienced depression i was pretty dismissive and though it was a weak person who got it and they should just wake up and snap out of it, but now having been through it i am very sympathertic and recommend you seek expert advise as soon as possible, i have been to places that i wouldnt wish on anyone.

Leigh

"Once an Alfaholic, always an Alfaholic"

"Petrolhead Heaven - The only way to get there is in an Alfa Romeo"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
drepression , suffer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page