Photography - what would be... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: What would you buy?
Table calendar 0 0%
Individual large print 13 100.00%
Postcard collection 0 0%
Other 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 31-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Photography - what would be...

... your choice if you were searching to buy something for yourself, to offer as a gift or to place somewhere in your place?

I'm asking you this because I might get some of my works printed. I'm not asking if you would buy something from me but what would you prefer and why?

Thank you all for your input.

P.S. attached is a small example of what I did today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Re: Photography - what would be...

I don't buy calendars (those come free from auto parts stores ) and post cards wouldn't be worth your while (I expect postcards to be under a dollar and I only send them when I'm travelling). Maybe you're thinking of gift boxes of note cards, but those I'm sure would come with their own manufacturing problems and over-priced production costs.

I have, however bought for myself and have been given photographic prints large enough to hang on my wall, but (and this is the part you won't like) I regret doing it because they were digital prints. Now we've had this conversation before, but I can really tell the difference between a traditional print and a digital one, and really hate looking at the digital ones, especially over time. I still have the black and white that I bought hanging on the wall. I never did hang the colour that I was given.
--Toronto
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Hugsy, it's going to hurt (as Tor has said) but Calendars and postcards won't make any money.

Most artists, ironically, only actually get famous/rich after they die.

I say carry on what you are doing, enjoy it and hope that you bring joy to others in what you do best.

I really like your photos, I think some of them (the one you have posted is a good example) could do with a little more subject, but on the whole, they're fantastically shot and wonderfully exposed.

If you want, I'll show you a photography which we (as a family) bought because it was simply stunning and is now hanging on our wall at home?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
(Post Link) post #4 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Thank you both for a very understandable and genuine opinion.

I don't want to make money from this. Not in this way. I would love to make this my job, or a part time job (because we have to pay our bills) but above that, nothing pays the value of creation and the pleasure I have to do this. Nothing pays the time I spend watching this images over and over and, the pleasure to share them with friends or unknowned people.

This is not exactly what moves me but, ultimately, it gives a lot of sense to things that don't need to make sense, as in the way we can understand it. That's probably the light of creation.

I suppose some of the images I capture are quite abstract and might feel the lack of a subject. But the subject is there, not just in that image but in ourselves too.
Some people still think that a good photography has a story engraved in it. I thought that too till I found... it's much more them just that. It's not just one story. That would be ridiculously poor. It has the story we want and, if I can provide the vehicle to settle our mind free, make us dream, make us build our own story, then I will try to do it. The best I can. Honestly... I dream with this images. Sometimes things don't need to make sense, that understandable sense I've mentioned above but they do. We're just too narrowed inside ourselves to permit ourselves to dream with our eyes opened, to see things we're ashame to see (?) or to get away from all the things that work around us like a jail.

I don't know if you'll understand what I've said but, I just want to share this with you. I don't want to make money of a small postcard collection. I would probably give it away for free. As long there was someone, somewhere, that I knew he/she would enjoy it.

Sorry, I'm probably talking too much about myself here.

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

We understand that you're not looking to get rich on this Hugo, we just don't want to see you take a bath -- economically speaking. Do what you can to (at least) break even, because once you start, I'll bet you that you'll start to find a market. One person will tell another about your work and so on. That's when the money will start rolling in.
--Toronto
(Post Link) post #6 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

And in the mean time I'll find a nice cabin to live in a quiet paradisaical place.

Cheers Tor and Andy.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561

Member car:

busso powered

Personally I think you can only make money if people hire you to make pictures of a certain event or objects.

Postcards and or table calendar hardly cover the costs you make. Being a wedding photographer or something like that can be worthwhile.

I would probably buy from you if you produced something like this:
AO Platinum Member

Those kind of pics would make great pictures on the wall... when printed big enough

I can see a pic like the one shown above hanging in someones livingroom wall just above the couch
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I see what you guys re saying, but do you think it would be worthwhile Hugo getting in contact with some 'Athena-esque' company, to see whether they would be willing to purchase works from him?
I have certainly seen pieces from Hugo posted up here which are better quality than prints I've seen for sale in Athena.
Also, this way, Hugo isn't bearing the costs of production.
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Definately a large print because the image is then the main focus, which is the intention behind the image. Pictures on a calender are just about dressing up the calender, they're more about pretty colours and novelty than telling a story.
It's also about size, for me the above image needs to be poster sized for me to 'get lost' in it, i'd have to really study a postcard sized image close up to feel what the image is saying to me, and the effort involved in that detracts considerably from my ability to free my mind and let the image take over.

Your images should definately be presented for what they are and not hidden behind another focal point.

Hope you get what i'm trying to say, i'm not that articulate today. As for Bazza's Athena idea, f you want your images to be as widely available as possible then a large distributor would be beneficial, you'll pay a price in profit per sale but if you're not worried about money it's not a problem, plus with a wider distribution you'll probably end up more sales and hence more money in total.

Quinn is Tintin, Q is Betty Boop, LeeBex is Mr Benn, Wrinxy Jinxy is a whole Agatha Christie suspense novel by himself. AJ's not a bear but BazzaKarhu the earth pig is. Debs is the Essex Pink Orange fiend. Jason is Marlon, i'm Marlon, Marlon is Spartacus. Chris155 (Andy's dad) ate all the pies. AlfaJack, you b*stard! Jimbo's a superstar. Speedy, Barry, San and Thompatruck turn into pumpkins at midnight.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I'm not sure I was particularly pointing at a big distributor, Athena were just the first name that popped into my head.
My point was just that, if Hugo can find an art distributor / seller of any kind, then he can leave them to worry about the overheads, while he gets (perhaps) more widely recognised.
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

When i say large i mean capable of a larger ouput than Hugo with his home printer I see what you mean though, you're talking about Hugo giving his prints to someone to distribute, i was talking about Hugo giving his images to someone to print and distribute.
Either way can work, just depends what Hugo can and is willing to sort out.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Hugo......I think some of your work is fantastic and if I was in a place where it was for sale then I would be interested to buy.

I can just visualise some large prints of your work. One of my favourites is the wooden seat near the sea front - beautiful

My wife and I are always on the look out for art work which has captured that certain something and in your work I can see that.

You have a great talent – keep it up.
(Post Link) post #14 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by selespeed
Personally I think you can only make money if people hire you to make pictures of a certain event or objects.
That's probably on solution, Hans.

Quote:
Postcards and or table calendar hardly cover the costs you make. Being a wedding photographer or something like that can be worthwhile.
As I said, that idea would work more or less just as an easy way of present myself to the world.
Covering Ceremonies still is one of the best ways to go. When there is a market...

Quote:
I would probably buy from you if you produced something like this:
Nice. I see what it is, still minimalistic but with rhythms and patterns connected to architecture.
(Post Link) post #15 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasi
Those kind of pics would make great pictures on the wall... when printed big enough
Yep, in this case, size does mater. The impact of watching this or other images in a poster is different from watching it here. Here is just like a sample.
(Post Link) post #16 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza
I have certainly seen pieces from Hugo posted up here which are better quality than prints I've seen for sale in Athena.
Also, this way, Hugo isn't bearing the costs of production.
Thank you, James. Contacting some distribution agencies is a solution that, sooner or latter I'll work out. But for now I'm just trying to convince myself that I could do a very small printed edition of some of my works just to see how it goes. As I've said, as long it covers the costs I'll be happy. The point would be to share this with you and not make money from it.

But the distributer is a way to go.
(Post Link) post #17 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT
Pictures on a calender are just about dressing up the calender, they're more about pretty colours and novelty than telling a story.
I see what you're saying. I'm afraid I have to agree with that and as Tor has illustrated, most of the time calendars work as publicity. Which is not the area I want to develop. No now anyway... maybe in future.

Quote:
It's also about size, for me the above image needs to be poster sized for me to 'get lost' in it, i'd have to really study a postcard sized image close up to feel what the image is saying to me, and the effort involved in that detracts considerably from my ability to free my mind and let the image take over.

Your images should definitely be presented for what they are and not hidden behind another focal point.
Absolutely!
Cheers MT.
(Post Link) post #18 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza
if Hugo can find an art distributor / seller of any kind, then he can leave them to worry about the overheads, while he gets (perhaps) more widely recognised.
Yes, yes and yes.
(Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs
Hugo......I think some of your work is fantastic and if I was in a place where it was for sale then I would be interested to buy.
Thank you, Pascs.

Quote:
You have a great talent – keep it up.
Thank you! I will!

And thank you all again for you input!
AO Member

County: London

For me less is more. I would rather have one or two good prints (A3 size) than loads of small or cheap ones.

Hugo - As always, great light. How do you manage to be in the right place at the right time so often??
(Post Link) post #21 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Hugo - As always, great light. How do you manage to be in the right place at the right time so often??
Basically, it's persistence. I know a lot of good spots near the coast. I'm always paying attention to the light and the sky (I don't live far from the beach - 10/15 minutes driving) and have a especial care to the find how's the tide for that hour of the day. That's one of the secrets. Then... I just go there and wait for the right click.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
For me less is more. I would rather have one or two good prints (A3 size) than loads of small or cheap ones.

Cheap quality you mean.

Most prints are not expensive and even limited edition prints are easily within reach. But how you mount, frame and hang them is vital.

Here are a couple of prints I have on my wall - abstract and not to everyone's taste but I like them

BTW they are about 1 meter in diameter and the house is rented so can't do too much to decorate it

Last edited by Pascs; 04-07-07 at 13:28.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

Definately prints. I knew a person (now unfortuantely dead) who took wondeful shots of Tasmainian forests and waterfalls etc. He made gift card sets, but it was difficult to get shops to stock them and custom was very sporadic.

I also voted other: Can it be air brushed onto my car?

Simon
(Post Link) post #24 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs
Most prints are not expensive and even limited edition prints are easily within reach. But how you mount, frame and hang them is vital.
A bad frame can easily destroy a great picture. No doubt about that!

Quote:
Here are a couple of prints I have on my wall - abstract and not to everyone's taste but I like them
Somehow they remind my Cubism with a little touch from Georges Braque.
(Post Link) post #25 of 33 Old 01-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffynnon
I also voted other: Can it be air brushed onto my car?
Why not?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
photography

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page