Should engine size dictate "legal" top speed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Engine Size V's *legal* speed limit
Are you craaaazy bouy!!!!!! 4 33.33%
Yes, big ='s faster 1 8.33%
No, same for all 4 33.33%
Other 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 14-08-05 Thread Starter

Thumbs Up Should engine size dictate "legal" top speed

I'm of the opinion that MY Alfenia is much safer/stable at 100kph than a *small* car. In that beleif i usually exceed the speed limit by 10kph to 20kph, barring the 50 & 60 kph zones...... thats for Alfaguy & work-mates

Do you think that the max *legal* top speed of your car should be related to its ENCAP rating or *some* other apsect of its abilities.

I believe that any modern car can do 160kph in a straight line, any driver can too, BUT it takes a good/great car & driver to corner & to brake safely from that speed & to stay in control....Alfenia is one of those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Should engine size dictate "legal" top speed

isn't it more about stopping distances etc?
wrinx

Very true coshh, although I also think there is an argument along the lines of a graded engine size. Certain CC until so many years experience and so on. Might stop the high percentage of younger drivers smashing things up...even though it's still possible in a smaller engnied car

wrinx

S.speed

I think this would be impossible to enforce...unless electronic speed limiters were fitted to all cars. You wouldn't want that though, would you?

EddieGTA

It would be a bit difficult to enforce, maybe have a lane for larger engined cars else the smaller ones would get in the way and more accidents would surely happen.

From what I have seen round here, it doesn't matter what size engine you give a young chav, he will always think he is driving a Ferrari. Once saw a fiesta come flying round the corner on Dartford one way and straight into the railings.

AO Member

County: Gauteng

I voted other.

I was stopped on the M1 at 2am a year or so back. There were only two cars on the stretch - I failed to notice that the other one contained two blokes in white shirts with epaulettes.

They sat me in the back of their Volvo and proceeded to lecture me for twenty minutes on how dangerous it is to speed - and I sat there like a good little gausie with all the yes sir no sir bullsh1t.

Then one of them started to write a ticket and I lost it with them.

Either give me the lecture or give me the ticket - but don't waste my time with both.

Dangerous? Bo11ocks! Illegal - yes. No question. But all this nonsense about dangerous - plod sometimes forgets what his job is. Dangerous is 30mph in an MOT failure. Dangerous is 70mph on a busy motorway weaving in and out of traffic. Dangerous is any speed in a poorly maintained car. 120 in a well maintained car designed to do 140+, on an empty straight section of a motorway in dry and well lit conditions? Thats not dangerous - it's just illegal.

They don't stop you on the autobahns for 120 in good conditions. Is it any more dangerous here than there? of course not.

Got a 3 month ban for that one.

I once got a ticket in New York for parking on the wrong side of the street - you're not allowed to park faciong the flow of traffic over there. When I asked the cop what the ticket was for - he gave me the same line: It's dangerous. I told him that in Europe everybody parks that way, and his incredulity and inability to comprehend such an anarchistic and hazardly way of parking was written all over his face. He finished the ticket and walked away shaking his head in denial.

In an ideal world there ought be no speed limits and lots of sensible drivers who understand the conditions and their vehicles and drive according to the risks. This aint gonna happen.

The next best thing would be intelligent traffic cops given the freedom to make judgement calls. Not gonna happen either. Both cases impossible.

But - engine size alone is a recipe for disaster. Fancy a 20 year rusty old 8 litre diesel truck bearing down on you at 140 in the outside lane?
AO Member

County: Gauteng

PS - have been banned 4 times in the last 3 years - all for motorway speeding.
AO Silver Member

I think car companies marketing departments have inflated the worth of its cars Ncap ratings beyond what it means in reality and that the public as a result place too much confidence in them.
These Ncap tests are conducted at fairly low speeds relative to what cars on a main road normally travel at. So a full head on accident at 60mph means unless you are very lucky your dead. All the seatbelt pretensioners or 5 star Ncap ratings in the world will not be enough to save you in such circumstances.
I have seen an Alfa 156 involved in such an accident and the force of the impact was such that it forced the steering wheel up to the vertical position and pushed it into the windscreen before the airbag had time to fully deploy and the car bulkhead was pushed back to where the front seat back rest would have been - obviously a fatal accident.
So you can imagine what the results of an 80mph accident would be. I also believe that minor roads are far more dangerous than the main roads - all the fatal accidents I have attended in the past few years have been on minor narrow country roads. I feel there should be a 30mph speed limit on these roads.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Do you think that the max *legal* top speed of your car should be related to its ENCAP rating or *some* other apsect of its abilities.
If EuroNCAP ratings would be responsible for setting legal top speeds for individual cars, we wouldn't be allowed to drive our 147/156s anymore in the first place

If you look at the car itself, engine size doesn't matter at all for dictating top speeds. Turboed engines are a lot quicker then equivalent petrol / diesel powered engines.

If you look at the weight of a car: Weight is THE enemy when it comes to stopping power. Furthermore, the lighter the car you drive in, the less harm you will do to the one you hit. The heavier the car you drive the more safety features you can carry with you to protect yourself.

Basically it is human factor that is the main factor for driving savely. I rather see someone speeding on the motorway at 100 mph who is concentrated on the driving then someone who is not paying attention to the traffic at all and doing 60 mph.

Dictating legal top speeds to the skills of the driver is not an option either. Even a good driver is not concentrated from time to time.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Yeah, maybe one limit for cars above 2 litres and one for those 2 litres and below

Nope BB - I voted that you are just craaaazy booy !

Personally I would pefer

a) much more realistic driver education and training including some skidpan training, overtaking etc. Proper positioning on windy roads etc etc.

b) Speed cameras only on known black spots

but..

c) A lot more human traffic police corps monitering of actual dangerous driving, but being able to use their judgement as to whether fractional deviations form the strict limit were actually in any way dangerous for the conditions.

Unfortunately I got a speeding fine once (my only points to date) for a the most innocent misdemeanour, on a very very wide long road with excellent visability of the empty other side of the road for 1 KM ahead I over took 2 or three cars in convoy that were doing 5mph below the limit.
During this manouvere I exceeded the speed lmit by 15 mph for a few seconds before allowing the speed to bleed back to the limit.

The polite Garda (Irish police officer) confirmed that the speed reading was for when I had overtaken and yes that he noticed I hasd resumed the limit afterwards. I took my punishment with good humour but internally I was slightly incredulous though . Is overtaking slowly actually safer - I don't think so !

AlfaGuy would you have "shopped" me ?
Hmm I suppose you have liability here, let me rephrase - would you think I was unlucky?

Cheers,
TB

Quote:

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Hmm color coded number plates?
Red implies +10mph on major roads.

TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyspeed
I think this would be impossible to enforce...unless electronic speed limiters were fitted to all cars. You wouldn't want that though, would you?

I think you were very unlucky with the Garda. Slow overtaking would have been more dangerous, no?
I agree that better education would be adviseable. Perhaps with the more education done the higher the speed the individual can do? Hard to Police though, perhaps stickers indicating the level of competance of the driver and therefore the greater speed he/she could do?
AO Silver Member

Much as I enjoy travelling quickly, I think I'd go for "no", really due to the congested nature of most UK roads.. Lane discipline in the UK is bad enough as it is; if different cars had different speed limits, there'd be even more tailgating, light flashing, and dangerous overtaking attempts by those with the higher speed limit. I would rather have speed limits, like on th eM25, which vary with road congestion and weather conditions so you could do 100mph when dry and empty, and 40mph when busy and foggy. Also, my RX-7 is officially only a 1.3, so I'd be saddled in the slow lane
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 14-08-05 Thread Starter

At least this has generated some debate. I'm fully aware when posting this topic that engine size should not determine top speed.... of course it should be engine cc + suspension + braking ability + driver experince etc........ or *smarter* policing.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
At least this has generated some debate. I'm fully aware when posting this topic that engine size should not determine top speed.... of course it should be engine cc + suspension + braking ability + driver experince etc........ or *smarter* policing.
Good because then I wouldn't have to point out that your engine isn't that big.
--Toronto
(Post Link) post #16 of 21 Old 14-08-05 Thread Starter

Cheese Re: Should engine size dictate "legal" top speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider
Good because then I wouldn't have to point out that your engine isn't that big.
--Toronto
Size is relative to local perceptions. In USA/Canada, sorry for bunching youse together] 2.0 is small. In Ireland, maybe even Europe, 2.0L is considered large, above 2.0L is excessive

In Ireland *normal* is 1.4L to 1.6L.

BTW just coz 3.0L v6/8 is normal in ur part of the work doesn't mean it more efficent or faster
AO Platinum Member

I'd say there would need to be a "tyre thread left" parameter too.. so with worn tyres you couldn't go as fast
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Well efficiency wasn't one of the criteria you proposed in your poll or your first post. (BTW I'm not giving you that, I'm just not going to bother arguing it.)

You did mention your car in comparison to "small" cars, and even then yours isn't that big. I mean it comes in between a BWM 3 and 5 series, right? (To put it in European terms, just to keep you happy. ). So let's say yours is small to mid-sized. Does that mean you think a large BMW or a Mercedes (both of which likely have larger engines besides having larger bodies) should have the fast lane or the higher speed limits reserved for them? I think a statement like that is grounds for shooting according to you AO.com membership agreement.
--Toronto
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561

Member car:

busso powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider
.. Does that mean you think a large BMW or a Mercedes (both of which likely have larger engines besides having larger bodies) should have the fast lane or the higher speed limits reserved for them?
The BMW / Mercedes owners already think that the fast lane is reserved for them
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 14-08-05 Thread Starter

Thumbs Up Re: Should engine size dictate "legal" top speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by selespeed
The BMW / Mercedes owners already think that the fast lane is reserved for them
[climbing out of a hole] well said [/climbing out of a hole]

Spider, i conceed to your point, your right, i'm wrong
S.speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausie
PS - have been banned 4 times in the last 3 years - all for motorway speeding.
I agree with your sentiment Gausie, but given that our limit is 70mph, I think you were pushing it a little by doing 120mph . I don't...ahem...always stick to the speed limit on motorways, but I have it in the back of my mind that anything over 100 is a bit of a no-no. I think this is seen as 'instant ban' territory by the authorities.

As for the parking against the oncoming traffic thing, I think I'm right in saying it's illegal in Blighty too, certainly at night (don't know whether there's a distinction for day). The reasoning being that at night, cars won't see your rear reflectors as they approach. Pretty sure this used to be the case, dunno whether it still is?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
dictate , engine , legal , size , speed , top

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page