Quailty time - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Quailty time with loved one's?
Zero 1 5.56%
Too much 0 0%
1 hour per day on average 1 5.56%
1 to 2 hours per day on average 1 5.56%
As much as i can 12 66.67%
Other 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 10-08-05 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,421
Quailty time

How much of it do you spend with your nearest & dearest?

I feel i don't spend enough with my wife & kids, i have many reasons for this, work, diy jobs, cars, etc..... but i'm starting to wonder have it got it all wrong.

Should i let the garden get over grown, leave the house un-painted, the car un-washed, the dog un-****ed

Its hard to get a good balance. I swore when i had kids i'd be a better dad to them, quailty time wise, than my own was to me. Even though i feel i am not spending enough time with them they still love me ...wierd huh?
Black Beauty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
S.speed
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Quailty time

Unconditional love is a wonderful thing. You're right though, it mustn't be neglected or taken for granted. Try to think of something different (even a little thing), that you can do with your kids every week, collectively or individually.
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 13,105
Warning Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty

Should i let the garden get over grown, leave the house un-painted, the car un-washed, the dog un-****ed


What you doing to your dog???


Ralf S.
Ralf S. is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
Spiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 8,688

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Re: Quailty time

As I`m an early riser, like my kids,normally 6am,so I get to spend an hour in the morning with them before work and have a couple of hours with them before they go to bed.Weekends and holidays I make as much time as I can for them because they are only at this wonderful age once,so other chores can take a back seat.
Wife and I enjoy the peace and quiet together for the brief time before we`re ready for bed too.
Spiderman is offline  
Status: frenzied burrowing
AO Platinum Member
 
Fraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 19,680
Re: Quailty time

Good poll BB.

I honestly thought I'd be in the "As much as I can section" - until I thought about it. I'd say maybe 1 to 2 hours average and I don't think that's good enough. Part of the problem is that I have a 14 year old daughter who doesn't want to do very much at all, except see her pals.

Your poll has certainly made me think maybe I need to make a bit more of an effort.
Fraser is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,986
Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
How much of it do you spend with your nearest & dearest?

I feel i don't spend enough with my wife & kids, i have many reasons for this, work, diy jobs, cars, etc..... but i'm starting to wonder have it got it all wrong.

Should i let the garden get over grown, leave the house un-painted, the car un-washed, the dog un-****ed

Its hard to get a good balance. I swore when i had kids i'd be a better dad to them, quailty time wise, than my own was to me. Even though i feel i am not spending enough time with them they still love me ...wierd huh?
You've got to enjoy them when they are young or you will really regret it . As Fraser says, once they hit the teenage years they won't want to spend time with "mummy and daddy" as it isn't cool to do so. I found it much easier once I found something we could all do together rather than take time away from my own particular chores/hobbies. For us this turned out to be sailing where there were tons of other kids about as well as like minded parents. BTW I'm not talking about cravat and blazer yotties but daft dinghy racers!
Will is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 373
Re: Quailty time

I chose "other"...actually, i never thought about it "quality time"... I know that last week i had it with my scout boys/girls while we were camping

But with my nearest family i lose my pacient most of the time...and i shouldn't..and i know that...but i can't avoid. We disagree in many things...and sometimes i just can't keep my mouth shout.

Quality time...i surely need that...
patricia is offline  
145qv
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Quailty time

You always have to give your best, even if it`s for a minute
 
Ant
Status: Always hopeful yet discontent.
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Ant's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 92
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere far beyond...
Posts: 38,310

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Re: Quailty time

To spend time with a loved one you first need a loved one...
Ant is offline  
Status: Housebuilder, slowly.
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Anglesey
Posts: 1,579
Re: Quailty time

I see my loved ones every other weekend. So not a lot!

Will hopefully be buying a house soon so we can all be back together again. Ahhh!

Buck
Buck Bundy is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
glenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Co.Tyrone, N Ireland
Posts: 1,624

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

Well Happy Re: Quailty time

This may be of very little comfort to you all but I recently read in a book that 15 mins of completly undivided attention given to your kids is enough to make them feel valued and appreciated.

Hope this helps some of you if you are feeling guilty.
glenda is offline  
Status: Standby.........
AO Platinum Member
 
mr.orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Durham
Posts: 15,637

Member car:

156

Re: Quailty time

i voted as much as i can as they grow up so fast these days
mr.orange is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 24 Old 11-08-05 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,421
Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
To spend time with a loved one you first need a loved one...
Ah Ant how can you say that, we all *love* having you here

Surely you have a mum, dad, brother or sister that really loves you.
Black Beauty is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 11-08-05 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,421
Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S.


What you doing to your dog???


Ralf S.
I wondered who'd ask that question .... i just put in 4 wild characters to cover the likes of wash,walk.etc.... what did you think it was ???
Black Beauty is offline  
Ant
Status: Always hopeful yet discontent.
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Ant's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 92
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere far beyond...
Posts: 38,310

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Ah Ant how can you say that, we all *love* having you here

Surely you have a mum, dad, brother or sister that really loves you.
Cheers, and yes, I know. But it's not the same...
Ant is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
gtachris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: loughborough
Posts: 3,067
Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
Cheers, and yes, I know. But it's not the same...
cheer up bud i'd consider you a friend you're loved on will come
gtachris is offline  
Ant
Status: Always hopeful yet discontent.
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Ant's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 92
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere far beyond...
Posts: 38,310

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtachris
cheer up bud i'd consider you a friend you're loved on will come
Cheers Chris.

Now I don't want you to get abducted...

But if that DO happens, please take piccies.
Ant is offline  
(Post Link) post #18 of 24 Old 12-08-05 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,421
Re: Quailty time

11/8/06: before 8am my wife calls me to tell me she is concerned that our 3rd baby, @ week 31, is not moving as much as it was, inside her.

What a heart stopping moment. I put my ear to her "stomach" to heart its heart beat going really fast, "baby is ok" i tell her. She made a call to the hopsital & went to get everything checked out.... by noon thankfully we knew that all was & is ok.

As we have 2 other kids i stayed at home to mind them. One got up at 9.00 & the other at 9.30. We 3 had brekkie together, hung out washing, watch kids TV, went outside & put together an outdoor 3-seater swing chair for mammy to rest in when she came home. Cooked dinner & had it served up for her return at 1.30pm.

After cleaning up the dinner vessels/etc we all went outside for some R&R. played yathzee with my eldest kid while my wife & youngest sat on the swing chair, reeelaaaaaxing .

Then i cut our lawn, thank goodness for ride-on's. Later i cut down a big bush/crappy tree that was obstructing our view of a local hill.

After supper time myself & the 2 kids went on our trampoline....... now that was good fun. Later my wife & I had our own "fun"

In all alot of quailty time was spent with my kids & wife today, so maybe the inital "scare" was a good thing.....re-prioritised things for me.
Black Beauty is offline  
Status: Wyrd is Life
AO Gold Member
 
Stori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
County: -
Posts: 11,591
Re: Quailty time

'Quailty time'

What has quails got to do with spending time with your family

Apart from maybe getting quail bones stuck in your teeth which requires a family member to help remove them
Stori is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
gtachris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: loughborough
Posts: 3,067
Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
11/8/06: before 8am my wife calls me to tell me she is concerned that our 3rd baby, @ week 31, is not moving as much as it was, inside her.

What a heart stopping moment. I put my ear to her "stomach" to heart its heart beat going really fast, "baby is ok" i tell her. She made a call to the hopsital & went to get everything checked out.... by noon thankfully we knew that all was & is ok.

As we have 2 other kids i stayed at home to mind them. One got up at 9.00 & the other at 9.30. We 3 had brekkie together, hung out washing, watch kids TV, went outside & put together an outdoor 3-seater swing chair for mammy to rest in when she came home. Cooked dinner & had it served up for her return at 1.30pm.

After cleaning up the dinner vessels/etc we all went outside for some R&R. played yathzee with my eldest kid while my wife & youngest sat on the swing chair, reeelaaaaaxing .

Then i cut our lawn, thank goodness for ride-on's. Later i cut down a big bush/crappy tree that was obstructing our view of a local hill.

After supper time myself & the 2 kids went on our trampoline....... now that was good fun. Later my wife & I had our own "fun"

In all alot of quailty time was spent with my kids & wife today, so maybe the inital "scare" was a good thing.....re-prioritised things for me.
Pleased all was well with the baby BB, I found it a very harrowing time and was permanently worried about something happening, now I enjoy time with my son as much as possible.
gtachris is offline  
Status: frenzied burrowing
AO Platinum Member
 
Fraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 19,680
Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
11/8/06: before 8am my wife calls me to tell me she is concerned that our 3rd baby, @ week 31, is not moving as much as it was, inside her.

What a heart stopping moment. I put my ear to her "stomach" to heart its heart beat going really fast, "baby is ok" i tell her. She made a call to the hopsital & went to get everything checked out.... by noon thankfully we knew that all was & is ok.

As we have 2 other kids i stayed at home to mind them. One got up at 9.00 & the other at 9.30. We 3 had brekkie together, hung out washing, watch kids TV, went outside & put together an outdoor 3-seater swing chair for mammy to rest in when she came home. Cooked dinner & had it served up for her return at 1.30pm.

After cleaning up the dinner vessels/etc we all went outside for some R&R. played yathzee with my eldest kid while my wife & youngest sat on the swing chair, reeelaaaaaxing .

Then i cut our lawn, thank goodness for ride-on's. Later i cut down a big bush/crappy tree that was obstructing our view of a local hill.

After supper time myself & the 2 kids went on our trampoline....... now that was good fun. Later my wife & I had our own "fun"

In all alot of quailty time was spent with my kids & wife today, so maybe the inital "scare" was a good thing.....re-prioritised things for me.
That made me feel all warm inside. Hope the remaining weeks go well.
Fraser is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Quailty time

Not enough during the week but I catch up over the weekend
BigFoot is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
County: -
Posts: 43,564

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Re: Quailty time

Every other weekend with my boy (not my choice ) and every weekend with my lovely lady !!
nomad is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,966
Re: Quailty time

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda
This may be of very little comfort to you all but I recently read in a book that 15 mins of completly undivided attention given to your kids is enough to make them feel valued and appreciated.

Hope this helps some of you if you are feeling guilty.
Only 15 minutes in a lifetime - guess I managed that when they were young. I suppose I could ask them...................now then, where are they living now and........what WERE their names.

Paul.
PaulR is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
quailty , time

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alfadiag won't connect Lourens Alfa 147, 156 & GT 16 20-04-09 05:08
Want to know where your tax is going? gt74 Rant Room 48 18-12-08 14:06
The Concept of Time Travel Darren156 Way Off Topic 19 03-02-08 12:35
'Time After Time' - Cover versions Hamster Way Off Topic 7 21-12-07 15:29

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome