Generic For Sale / Wanted Threads - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new generic for sale / wanted threads in the tech forums?
The generic threads are useless and nonsensical - abandon the idea and allow individual for sale / wanted threads under the tech forums. 1 100.00%
The generic threads are a good idea so keep them and force members to post any for sale / wanted items in those threads only under the tech forums. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Generic For Sale / Wanted Threads

I'm half expecting this poll to be deleted but I guess we shall see.

We recently started getting generic for sale / wanted threads in the technical forums. According to one of the mods, apparently members expressed their wish to have these but I can't see a poll anywhere and I wasn't pointed to one by the mod so I find it hard to believe TBH.

I do understand there's a classified section on here but it's sometimes useful to specifically target the audience of a specific model in one of the technical forums if you want a quick response.

My view is that a single thread for this sort of thing is complete nonsense and is just going to end up becoming a monster / confusing mess with people all trying to reply to each other about different things in the same thread. If those threads start to grow rapidly with lots of people trying to buy and sell stuff then people's offers or requests for parts are quickly going to be lost from view on previous pages. With no specific title it also means the only way to request or find parts is to keep manually trawling through those threads. Not useful at all and totally impractical. Not to mention that trying to follow an individual conversation that is riddled in amongst others in the same thread is just going to be unnecessary aggravation.

Worse still, some existing individual for sale / wanted threads seem to be getting closed/locked and other individual threads (with replies) that have been posted with items for sale or requesting parts have been merged into the generic thread causing the replies from both threads to be riddled in amongst each other like a spaghetti mess with no clear indication which posts are replying to which other posts (due to no re-quotes in those posts as they weren't needed when those posts were in their own specific threads).

I would be interested to know if anyone actually thinks these generic threads are actually a good idea and if so, why.

Now I will step down from my soap box and let everyone vote with their feet (or not)

I won't be posting on this forum any more. If you want to know why and/or you want answers to some 145/146 related questions then please feel free to pop over to and post on the alfa145.com forum where you will find me with the same member name.

I have now disabled all my private messaging options on here but you can PM me over on the alfa145.com forum if you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Check here for a few discussions on the subject

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ask-a...bout-the-site/
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 15-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Sorry, took a bit of time getting some correctly worded options in place It seems that a poll thread on here gets posted before the poll options are fully completed and submitted.
Global Mod Team

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
The whole point of the technical forums are that they are exactly that, technical forums. The classified sections are growing as they are more widely used. Use them more and they will get better.

People SHOULDN'T be replying to each other in the threads, but PMing as it clearly says in the first post. Such replies are being deleted.

I'm not sure what good this thread will do, other than cause more problems, so I will close it now and ask that you continue your conversation by PM, rather than reveal contents of a private conversation on the forum.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
The-Cutest-of-the-BORED No 5 The BORED Collective

147 1.6 Turismo 916 Spider P1 Lusso & Giulietta Lusso 1.6 JTDM

Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
generic , sale , threads , wanted

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page