Margaret Thatcher? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Rate Thatchers perfromance as UK PM. (1 choice only)
1 4 11.11%
2 6 16.67%
3 4 11.11%
4 0 0%
5 1 2.78%
6 1 2.78%
7 2 5.56%
8 9 25.00%
9 3 8.33%
10 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 44 Old 31-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hmmm Margaret Thatcher?

Sorry to start talking politics again but I am always interested in what people thought / think of Maragret Thatcher especially from UK residents who after all elected her as their prime minister from 1979 to 1990.
I always thought the Thatcher era (if I can escape calling it that) was a very interesting time in politics She obviously loved the limelight and no doubt the power and had the ability to infuriate, anger, inspire and confuse often all at the same time.
I know during the end of her reign she lost the plot with the poll tax and her strident opposition towards Europe but still I feel the state of the UK today is in large part due to processes she set in motion while PM. So what do you think?

The object of this poll is to rate her contribution from 1 to 10 (No 1 being the best rating and so on) but to post a few reasons for your choice whether they are positive or negative.

http://margaret-thatcher.ask.dyndns.dk/

Last edited by Alfaguy; 23-11-07 at 23:26.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Margaret Thatcher?

She was ugly enough anyways
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy
I always thought the Thatcher era (if I can escape calling it that) was a very interesting time in politics She obviously loved the limelight and no doubt the power and had the ability to infuriate, anger, inspire and confuse often all at the same time.
I had a little trouble during the Falkland war because i supported her decision to go there.

I think the politicians of today have many to learn by her style.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I know she's roundly hated by a large percentage of the population, but I think a lot of the reason for that is that, on a lot of matters, she did what had to be done, no matter how hard that was, and no matter how unpopular that would make her.
This country was in a terrible state when she came to power.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

who's she?
AO Silver Member

Boring Re: Margaret Thatcher?

I refuse to vote on this one as I'm one of the so called 'Thatcher's children' growing up under her rein. My parents used to vote Labour and voted Conservative for the first time in '79. They haven't looked back since becoming very scary right wingers. I have no doubt she did a good job politically and economically but socially she kind of screwed up. Her idea was to help the rich who would in turn help the poor. The reality is the richer got richer and the poorer just got poorer. Strange idealism from someone of her nature. I do however believe I was able to go to uni free of charge and leave without any debt thanks to her. No doubt about that. Just like Blaire who only wants the rich to go to uni (oh wait, if you're poor you can always get a student loan and spend the first ten years of your career paying it off). [email protected]@rd!

At the end of the day, we all vote for who we believe is going to leave our wallets fatter and I'm living in Spain right now thanks to Blairite Britain getting out of control. I was earning +35k pa with my wife earning around 20k. I was living in Surrey and working in London paying crazy prices for a commute in stinking 50 year old trains that crashed a lot! The chances of becoming a home owner were vey slim indeed. Decided to leave when my first child was born to sunny Spain where I earn peanuts but live 10 times better than I did in the UK! I have two cars and a house and that makes me happy!!!!!

Down side to Spain is the poor selection of Alfa's!!!! (But on the other hand we do have cars like the GTV 2.0 V6 Turbo).

Quote:
Sorry to start talking politics again but I am always interested in what people thought / think of Maragret Thatcher especially from UK residents who after all elected her as their prime minister from 1979 to 1990.
I know during the end of her reign she lost the plot with the poll tax and her strident opposition towards Europe but still I feel the state of the UK today is in large part due to processes she set in motion while PM. So what do you think?

The object of this poll is to rate her contribution from 1 to 10 (No 1 being the best rating and so on) but to post a few reasons for your choice whether they are positive or negative.

http://margaret-thatcher.ask.dyndns.dk/
I rate her pretty highly.
Before she came to power the country was in a dreadfull state. She did what had to be done but the medicine for some was too strong and many people initially suffered. I think the main thing she did was give the country back a sense of pride. God only knows what a laughing stock we were back then; strikes every other day; a currency so weak you ahd to think twice about going abroad - and even if you could they would only let you take 50 quid with you! She also swept away some really dusty attitudes, flattening the class system and creating opportunities for those who wanted to get off their arses and work instead of spongeing of the State or relying on the old school tie. Many, many people still hate the very mention of her name though, especailly those from former mining and steel areas. But the evidence is there for all to see - look how vibrant the North East now is and look how far the ole pound goes when you go on holiday.
She blundered big time with the poll tax (although I will always say it is much fairer than council tax) and made too many enemies within her own ranks and was eventually stabbed in the back by her own kind.
AO Silver Member

Hmmm Re: Margaret Thatcher?

D'oh! Submitted my post twice for some reason... Ignore me!
AO Silver Member

Crazed Re: Margaret Thatcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasi
who's she?
Some would say she's my mummy!
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

I vote a 5. She did a lot of good and also a lot of harm. So overall fifty fifty. If we were to do a comparison against other prime ministers though, she would rate head and shoulders above most of them.

She managed to hold power for quite a long time without resorting to being populist too much. Unlike Lionel Blair the smarmy git.

AO Platinum Member

Yeah.. not bad. You have to remember the Unions in the 70's and the National Front to appreciate what she did. Sorted them all out, for good.

Ralf S.
AO Member

I'm from Glasgow

We didn't like her very much...

Ravenscraig
Linwood
Shipbuilding
Mining
etc
etc
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I've gone for a three, there is no doubt she gave this country back some of it's pride. I am old enough to remember the 70's, even if I was only a School kid for most of it you could tell the country was going to the dogs due to stupid petty union idiots, some of whom were blatently communist backed.
But, she certainly loose her three points for the massive decline in manufacturing which her influence caused. I can definately relate to Alfajock on that.
to sum up though she was still the best PM we have had for centuries, except perhaps Churchill, but TBH WW2 changed all the rules anyway.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Aw crap. Just realised I didn't read this right. My 8 should be a 2.
S.speed

Someone had to sort out the Unions. She bludgeoned them to death though. There was some life left in the mining industry but she killed it anyway because she hated Scargill. She set in train a programme of privatisations, mostly by starving an industry to within an inch of its life, then saying 'nationalised industry doesn't work', and selling off shares cheaply. Years down the road we have enormous bonuses for executives who rape their business and bugger off afterwards. There is still underinvestment but higher prices. In a hospital or railway, we are 'customers', meaningless, offensive tosh. She was a nasty vindictive woman who was intent on wrecking anyone/thing she saw as getting in her way. She tried to wreck the BBC (Belgrano affair, Zircon affair) and similarly ITV (Death on the Rock), by selling off all the franchises to the highest bidder. She made Robin Day look like a poodle in that interview near the end of her Premiership. She was good, but OTT in Europe and got us the rebate. She created an obsession with house ownership and wrecked many local authorities. School playing fields sold off in their thousands. Created 'league tables' for as a solution for everything which has for example devalued our whole education and examination system. She got voted in in her later terms by obsessive, strategic tax cuts and used the Murdoch press to savage the opposition. In fact at the exit polls for her last general election victory, she got in by a reasonable margin, but no-one admitted to voting for her (they must have felt bad about it). She played on people's greed to get in. She has left a legacy of potholed roads, creaking semi-privatised public utilities, demoralised public sector workers and a general 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. 'There is no such thing as society'. She made sure of that. Tony Blair's politics aren't that much different, when it makes common sense to renationalise an industry (eg fiasco-railways), he doesn't have the balls to do it.

On balance, no, I don't think she was good for this country.

AO Gold Member

Margaret Thatcher had a small business person's view of the world...
She had no conception of the 'big picture' in the world around her.

In her view ,Unions were an absolute no-no. The 'evil of all evils'.

She removed their influence with ruthlessness, destroying the livilihoods and of thousands in the Midlands and North of England...
She was 'Britain's Terrorist' ,for she terrorised the populace with deadly menace
Somehow this almost Sounds like a typical intolerant Islamist

Unfortunately we in Victoria had an ideologue like Thatcher, namely in one Jeff Kennet... He destroyed his party as well, leaving us to be 'Bracks' by the incompetent Labor (sic) Government of Steve Bracks

NB In Australia, the Labour party spell their party name as LABOR...
I am not sure if this is due to the fact that members cannot spell or they are really Yankee sycophants

Last edited by Stori; 04-08-05 at 06:54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
Margaret Thatcher had a small business person's view of the world...
She had no conception of the 'big picture' in the world around her.

In her view ,Unions were an absolute no-no. The 'evil of all evils'.

She removed their influence with ruthlessness, destroying the livilihoods and of thousands in the Midlands and North of England...
She was 'Britain's Terrorist' ,for she terrorised the populace with deadly menace
Somehow this almost Sounds like a typical intolerant Islamist

Unfortunately we in Victoria had an ideologue like Thatcher, namely in one Jeff Kennet... He destroyed his party as well, leaving us to be 'Bracks' by the incompetent Labor (sic) Government of Steve Bracks

NB In Australia, the Labour party spell their party name as LABOR...
I am not sure if this is due to the fact that members cannot spell or they are really Yankee sycophants
You say that about the Midlands and the North of England but look at these areas now - they are vibrant and forward thinking, stuffed with go-getting entrepreneours. Their econmies are diverse and active and not reliant on old sick subsidised industries such as mining and ship-building. Yes, she did it in a fairly brutal manner but her success is undeniable. I've lived through strike ridden 3 day weeks and inflation rates of 29% and I can assure you now is much better than then. As has been said before the medicine was bitter but worth it for the cure.
The British economic model is now the envy of Europe - it certainly wasn't before Thatcher, then it was a laughing stock.
AO Silver Member

Not Happy Re: Margaret Thatcher?

Pre-Maggie:

TV channel wants to record an interview with some chap in his office.
Personnel required:
1. Cameraman
2. Assistant Cameraman
3. Soundman
4. Reporter

Post Maggie:

Same job. Personnel required:
1. Video reporter

Get the idea? Maggie destroyed the unions who protected jobs. End of story. Now TV channels only need to employ a handfull of people. And where do the savings on salaries go? TV Executives of course; they get paid boat loads thanks to these 'savings'!!!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I see your point, but then you can look at it from the other angle, can't you? Why should someones job be protected if it's pointless? Should 4 people be employed to do 1 mans job, just to keep them employed?
On a large-scale, long-term view, it's hardly sensible or efficient is it?

On top of that, for your particular example I think improved technology has a lot to do with the change in required personnel.
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA GT JTD

Er 10 good and 1 bad??
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
You say that about the Midlands and the North of England but look at these areas now - they are vibrant and forward thinking, stuffed with go-getting entrepreneours. Their econmies are diverse and active and not reliant on old sick subsidised industries such as mining and ship-building. Yes, she did it in a fairly brutal manner but her success is undeniable. I've lived through strike ridden 3 day weeks and inflation rates of 29% and I can assure you now is much better than then. As has been said before the medicine was bitter but worth it for the cure.
The British economic model is now the envy of Europe - it certainly wasn't before Thatcher, then it was a laughing stock.
Maybe, but that is using the end justifies the means type of argument.

We have had similar change in Australia, but we did not use the 'sword' to make those changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
Maybe, but that is using the end justifies the means type of argument.

We have had similar change in Australia, but we did not use the 'sword' to make those changes
I'm not really conducting an argument merely commenting on what was a very difficult time in the UK. I lived through it, suffered because of it, and gained strength from the experience. Some of us here are not whingers - we just try and get on in as positive a manner as possible. Also if she was that bad how came she survived as long as she did? We all have a free vote here in Britain and if we like we can simply vote politicians out of office. I think the main reason she was not voted out was that the alternative was unthinkable (ironicly enough the same argument as today). Still, this thread was never going to be a cosy warm cuddle of a chat was it? She was controversial then and she is controversial now.
(Post Link) post #23 of 44 Old 04-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA Milano
Er 10 good and 1 bad??
I know its a bit confusing but what I meant the poll to be was like a car race where being No 1 is best
AO Member

Quote:
I know its a bit confusing but what I meant the poll to be was like a car race where being No 1 is best
I'm still firmly on 10

I'm not being black and white - I fully accept the employment law changes vis unions were all to the good. I'm an HR Director and negotiate with the print unions on a daily basis, and have done the same in the car and areopspace industries, so I benefit directly from some of her reforms.

I just don't accept that the end justified the means. She quite deliberately took the hardest possible line to drive though what she wanted in the full knowledge that she would decimate communities and destroy livelihoods, and that was OK with her. Not OK for those on the receiving end, the 3 million on the dole.

And let's not pretend people in those industries were stupid or didn't see the need to change - once the incentive was there to do it (cheap Polish coal, etc) they needed support and a bit of time to change, and that was what she denied them. Serious investment in retraining and proper incentives for enterprise and inward investment in those areas could have allowed the same structural changes with far less human and social cost. Yes the North East and Midlands may well be thriving now, but let's face it, it's taken 20 years.

My second point is that your political point of view depended on your geographical point of view - I was shocked when I moved to the South East of England in 1993 to find that people thought the eighties had been a boom time - not in Scotland it wasn't. Yes she did win elections, and did so again by blatantly writing off those area where Tory vote was hopeless in favour of the SE heartland.

As far as I am concerned the PM has responsibility for the stewardship of the whole country and everyone in it. She deliberately manipulated government policies to benefit some at the extreme expense of others to suit her own electoral ambitions, which makes her a failure in my eyes.

I could dribble on for ages, but I've held these vews for a quarter of a century now, as have those who think she was wonderful,and I don't think therefore that any of us will be influenced by what anyone else says. So I'll shut up now before it starts getting prickly.

Selespeed Technology + Alfa build quality + alfa dealer competence + 2 years and 51K miles + Mental Instability = Another Sportwagon
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA GT JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJock
I'm still firmly on 10
And me too now I understand that it's not 10/10 andf not no1! I know when she was deposed as leader of the Conservative party that it was impossible to get champagne in central London as it was all sold in the first hour...

I work in the economic development and regeneration field and to say that the Midlands and North now enjoy thriving economies may be stretching the point. In the West-Midlands for example (which had the a**e kicked out of it by Thatcher's policies) one in four people work in the public sector. Amongst graduates the proportion is much higher. It'll take another twenty years to really undo the damage of the Thatcher years.

"er I think so..."

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
margaret , thatcher

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page