Yes I work in IT. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: I earn money...
Working in IT. 39 59.09%
Working in a proper job. 27 40.91%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 24-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yes I work in IT.

Wondering how many geeks are AO members. Whenever there is a PC question there are loads of people helping out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

Idea Re: Yes I work in IT.

Although I don't work in IT a wise work colleague once gave me an extremely valuable piece of advice I'm going to share with you all.

"Always look after the canteen staff, the security guards and, most importantly, the IT people and you'll want for nothing at work"

I live by it...... and it works
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Re: Yes I work in IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda
Although I don't work in IT a wise work colleague once gave me an extremely valuable piece of advice I'm going to share with you all.

"Always look after the canteen staff, the security guards and, most importantly, the IT people and you'll want for nothing at work"

I live by it...... and it works
Totally agree............... but add Secretarys and Cleaners - ooooh and don't forget the person that fills up the coffee machine
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I have to fix everyones computers at work when they go wrong......does that count?
Bert Cheese

The IT staff at my place are known as "The Munsters" as they have a little secluded office in a corner of the upper floor which they are always very reluctant to leave

EddieGTA

Us IT bods need to be psychic! do people really think that when water pours out of the keyboard we won't know what happened, or when files go 'missing' we don't know you accidently hit the delete key! The cr*p I have to put up with And not forgetting the classic line 'I had an email... it wasn't from someone I knew... so I opened it. Now the computer is doing strange things'

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

i am a cnc machine programmer/setter and also program robotic arms for my ''proper job''.

does this count,

i bliddy hope not
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Well I don't think all IT bods (me inc ) are necessarily nerds/geeks but yes, some are. Must say though, I am amazed at the level of help given here when people need techi input. Good show guys
AO Silver Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzon
Well I don't think all IT bods (me inc )
Whats your field Kurzon ?

I've been contracting for nearly 10 yrs now, Up till 2 yrs back mainly on the tech side... mainly messaging, exchange etc etc Now though I'm climbing the Project Manager ladder, Off on a Prince 2 course in september
145qv

No I don`t, earn my money honestly

AO Silver Member
Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09

Geek ... and proud of it
AO Silver Member
Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO
The IT staff at my place are known as "The Munsters" as they have a little secluded office in a corner of the upper floor which they are always very reluctant to leave
Ever wondered what they call you? And why they're reluctant to leave their room?
AO Member

Member car:

Z4 Coupe

I install the sockets that the 'puters' are plugged into.

Does this count
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 166v6
Whats your field Kurzon ?
Generally speaking Oracle RDBMS back and front end - and all that goes with it Gotta be careful to not put the AOers off here with the IT speak

I've done Prince 2 (ages ago)... not a bad course and quite widely used Should be a positive for your CV... enjoy

Should say though, that I personally intend on moving on from my IT career for summat else when and if things work out
AO Member

Member car:

I work for Sun, Ima Solaris (UNIX) guy, but NOT a geek. I'm only 23. drive an alfa, and the girls them luv it. Got an interview for the London Stock Exchange on Thurs so hopefully, get in with some of them traders, few inside bets, nudge nudge and the brera will be coming in the not tooo distant future.

By the way, what I do is a proper job. It pays for the Bills, booze, birds and soon the brera

I voted proper job as I don't work in IT but its not like my job is proper though.

On the same lines Pasi could start a "Are you a Jock or a Nerd" poll.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

I work in IT, but it's been too long now doing documentation and procedures, so I no longer a techie nerd (though if you talk to my other half, she would beg to differ )
AO Silver Member

Well I must be one of the few left! I'm an engineer, a toolmaker by trade but for the last three years plus I've been working with hydrogen fuel cells, developing them and builing prototypes etc including these:
www.envbike.com, it's a great job fun and satisfying but there is no security and i never know from month to month whether i will have to sell the gta!!!, you make your bed and lie in it as they say! as for pc's they drive me nuts and are only a tool as far as i am concerned!! would be lost without all you IT geeks out out there!!
(Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 31-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

(Post Link) post #20 of 33 Old 31-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Users, please read thsi:-)

Advice to employees on the proper use
of the System Administrator's valuable time

(In following examples, we will substitute the name "Ted" as the System Administrator)

* Make sure to save all your MP3 files on your network drive. No sense in wasting valuable space on your local drive! Plus, Ted loves browsing through 100+ GB of music files while he backs up the servers.
* Play with all the wires you can find. If you can't find enough, open something up to expose them. After you have finished, and nothing works anymore, put it all back together and call Ted. Deny that you touched anything and that it was working perfectly only five minutes ago. Ted just loves a good mystery. For added effect you can keep looking over his shoulder and ask what each wire is for.
* Never write down error messages. Just click OK, or restart your computer. Ted likes to guess what the error message was.
* When talking about your computer, use terms like "Thingy" and "Big Connector."
* If you get an EXE file in an email attachment, open it immediately. Ted likes to make sure the anti-virus software is working properly.
* When Ted says he coming right over, log out and go for coffee. It's no problem for him to remember your password.
* When you call Ted to have your computer moved, be sure to leave it buried under a year-old pile of postcards, baby pictures, stuffed animals, dried flowers, unpaid bills, bowling trophies and Popsicle sticks. Ted doesn't have a life, and he finds it deeply moving to catch a glimpse of yours.
* When Ted sends you an email marked as "Highly Important" or "Action Required", delete it at once. He's probably just testing some new-fangled email software.
* When Ted's eating lunch at his desk or in the lunchroom, walk right in, grab a few of his fries, then spill your guts and expect him to respond immediately. Ted lives to serve, and he's always ready to think about fixing computers, especially yours.
* When Ted's at the water cooler or outside taking a breath of fresh air, find him and ask him a computer question. The only reason he takes breaks at all is to ferret out all those employees who don't have email or a telephone.
* Send urgent email ALL IN UPPERCASE. The mail server picks it up and flags it as a rush delivery.
* When the photocopier doesn't work, call Ted. There's electronics in it, so it should be right up his alley.
* When you're getting a NO DIAL TONE message at your home computer, call Ted. He enjoys fixing telephone problems from remote locations. Especially on weekends.
* When something goes wrong with your home PC, dump it on Ted's chair the next morning with no name, no phone number, and no description of the problem. Ted just loves a good mystery.
* When you have Ted on the phone walking you through changing a setting on your PC, read the newspaper. Ted doesn't actually mean for you to DO anything. He just loves to hear himself talk.
* When your company offers training on an upcoming OS upgrade, don't bother to sign up. Ted will be there to hold your hand when the time comes.
* When the printer won't print, re-send the job 20 times in rapid succession. That should do the trick.
* When the printer still won't print after 20 tries, send the job to all the printers in the office. One of them is bound to work.
* Don't use online help. Online help is for wimps.
* Don't read the operator's manual. Manuals are for wussies.
* If you're taking night classes in computer science, feel free to demonstrate your fledgling expertise by updating the network drivers for you and all your co-workers. Ted will be grateful for the overtime when he has to stay until 2:30am fixing all of them.
* When Ted's fixing your computer at a quarter past one, eat your Whopper with cheese in his face. He functions better when he's slightly dizzy from hunger.
* When Ted asks you whether you've installed any new software on your computer, LIE. It's no one else's business what you've got on your computer.
* If the mouse cable keeps knocking down the framed picture of your dog, lift the monitor and stuff the cable under it. Those skinny Mouse cables were designed to have 55 lbs. of computer monitor crushing them.
* If the space bar on your keyboard doesn't work, blame Ted for not upgrading it sooner. Hell, it's not your fault there's a half pound of pizza crust crumbs, nail clippings, and big sticky drops of Mountain Dew under the keys.
* When you get the message saying "Are you sure?", click the "Yes" button as fast as you can. Hell, if you weren't sure, you wouldn't be doing it, would you?
* Feel perfectly free to say things like "I don't know nothing about that boneheaded computer crap." It never bothers Ted to hear his area of professional expertise referred to as boneheaded crap.
* Don't even think of breaking large print jobs down into smaller chunks. God forbid somebody else should sneak a one-page job in between your 500-page Word document.
* When you send that 500-page document to the printer, don't bother to check if the printer has enough paper. That's Ted's job.
* When Ted calls you 30 minutes later and tells you that the printer printed 24 pages of your 500-page document before it ran out of paper, and there are now nine other jobs in the queue behind yours, ask him why he didn't bother to add more paper.
* When you receive a 130 MB movie file, send it to everyone as a high-priority mail attachment. Ted's provided plenty of disk space and processor capacity on the new mail server for just those kinds of important things.
* When you bump into Ted in the grocery store on a Sunday afternoon, ask him computer questions. He works 24/7, and is always thinking about computers, even when he's at super-market buying toilet paper and doggie treats.
* If your son is a student in computer science, have him come in on the weekends and do his projects on your office computer. Ted will be there for you when your son's illegal copy of Visual Basic 6.0 makes the Access database keel over and die.
* When you bring Ted your own "no-name" brand PC to repair for free at the office, tell him how urgently he needs to fix it so you can get back to playing EverQuest. He'll get on it right away, because everyone knows he doesn't do anything all day except surf the Internet.
* Don't ever thank Ted. He loves fixing everything AND getting paid for it!
* (send additional suggestions)
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Please may I add:

You double clicked it, the program didnt open in a split second so I double click again, still it didnt so I did it a 3rd time, then the computer screen went blue - Call Ted, he like impatient people

clicked on a website link, the link didnt open imediately so I clicked it again, Ted knows its best practice to send a wepage request, then click it again so that it cancels the page request and has to resend it again
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

*puts his hand up*
(Hmm, it's times like this i'm glad i'm not a vet!)

Can i add:
"Panic before you think."
and
... oh there's too many. Had one lady phone me today in a panic saying she had an e-mail quoting an order number and saying her bank account would be debited, what should she do, should she be worried, is she safe?
Fortunately my professionalism kicked in before i had a chance to answer.
"Is the mail from a company you recognise?"
"No."
"Have they included your bank details anywhere?"
"No."
"Have you given out your bank details to anyone you shouldn't have recently?"
"No."
"Delete the mail, this is what we call 'spam'."
"How did they get my e-mail address?"
*bites tongue*

This is from someone who has complained before that she can spend over half her day just on e-mail...

Quinn is Tintin, Q is Betty Boop, LeeBex is Mr Benn, Wrinxy Jinxy is a whole Agatha Christie suspense novel by himself. AJ's not a bear but BazzaKarhu the earth pig is. Debs is the Essex Pink Orange fiend. Jason is Marlon, i'm Marlon, Marlon is Spartacus. Chris155 (Andy's dad) ate all the pies. AlfaJack, you b*stard! Jimbo's a superstar. Speedy, Barry, San and Thompatruck turn into pumpkins at midnight.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Working in a proper job now, but between 1999 - 2002 i worked in a software house providing supply chain software to the food industry, My role was a bit of a wide brief, i looked after sales, aftersales, live support, project management, training & implementation & some QA work.

Got really burnt out (took 3 months off with stress at the end of 2002 & packed it in - not worth it!) in the 3 years, 3 days a week in kent, one day a week in dublin, 75000miles a year in the car, some weeks away in milwaukie.

Do sometimes miss the industry, but dont miss the agro!!

"Once an Alfaholic, always an Alfaholic"

"Petrolhead Heaven - The only way to get there is in an Alfa Romeo"

EddieGTA

Jees I hear you there Leigh, not as bad as you but currently dealing with our company being taken over. For a year since me and my boss (also boss from last place) started, we have repeatedly told them not to work in such bad ways. Now the big company is in and it looks like it is all down to us, crazy. No respect at all or acknowledgement for what we have done to make the network stable etc.

Anyway after our virus woes last week, may I add.

When the email is down and Ted is working on it, keep on phoning him just to remind him your outlook won't work.

Ted looks a bit busy, take his mind of the virus, power outage, transmission systems that can't be patched til an hour after he is supposed to be leaving and ask him a question about your home PC.

I've always tried to make IT look 'cool'.

Hard work though, I was in PC World this evening and theer were a serious amount of spectacle wearers present.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
work

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page