Do you leave your AC turned on??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Do you drive with your AC always turned on??
Yes, always! 40 51.95%
Only when my ass starts sticking to the seat! 29 37.66%
AC Not fitted! I use the windows! 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 55 Old 15-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -
Hmmm Do you leave your AC turned on???

Pinched from another thread, it's got me wondering if I'm the only one that turns the AC on when I feel hot

So the question is:

Do you always, by default drive with your AC on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Re: Do you leave your AC turned on???

Mines on all year round.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

I only use it when I need it (plus occassionally in the winter to de-mist the windows).

However, someone I work with just leaves it on climate control permanently. And another colleague never (ever) uses it, even though his car is fitted with a/c. Go figure
wrinx

Only when needed, it saps power. Starting from a standstill takes more right foot.

wrinx

Chris155

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
Only when needed, it saps power. Starting from a standstill takes more right foot.

wrinx
Agreed. I find the car is less responsive and doesn't run as well with it on.

I was chatting to a Ford Engineer a few years ago, and he reckoned the air con pump on a Mk1 Mondeo would sap about 20bhp when it was running, allthough the Mondeo was concieved as a world car and as result the UK car shared the same pump with its US eqivalent and therefor had to be able to deal with the extreme temps of death valley, etc.

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Mines on all the time, I have turned it off now and again to see if makes a differance but if it does it ain't much.
IMO it's better to leave it on than to risk it not working properly after being left.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

You might not notice too much power loss in the UK since it doesn't often get hot enough to require the AC......

The AC compressor will actually switch off when you use full acceleration.

If you set the temp to maximum cold and try switching off the AC during acceleration you should feel a difference - I do on mine - it could be that we have different compressors here to cope with the extra heat

My friend has a V6 and if I race him with my AC off and his AC on, then the Selespeed is very very close to the V6

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17” GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

looks like i'm the only one with no air-con
AO Member

Member car:

Mines so bad that wehen I'm in heavy traffic or I need to get out onto a roundabout quick then I have to turn it off as it saps the low end power. And the 1.6 isnt well known for having much low end to begin with
AO Platinum Member

County: -

I've heard it has a huge efect on fuel consumption
AO Silver Member

County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

On modern cars the A/C is controlled by the engine management. When you push the A/C button or the climate control wants the A/C compressor to engage, this is signalled to the ECU. The ECU then compensates by richening the mixture, or increasing the idle (depending on the situation) before it sends a signal to the A/C compressor relay. Also, if the throttle angle exceeds a set limit or is floored fast the ECU will cut out the A/C compressor. My old 155 16V had this feature, so does my 156 Selespeed.

Alfas also have variable displacement A/C compressors which ensures there's not much power drain at lower temperatures. Which means it hardly saps any power during the winter but still helps demist the windows.

So basically, I leave the climate control in charge of the A/C....

-- Hoygs
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

only use it when i need to.......so it on most of the time

With the hot spell of weahter here i have it all all during the past week, but if the weather is not hot then no.

I tried last wednesday evening to drive with the windows down, a/c off but i gave up after 15 mines onc ei hit them/way... the buffetting inside was too much fo rme.

To drive with windows down or a/c which is more fuel effiecnt... i wonder? I know that a/c is cooler
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Only use it when necessary. It's not very sinusites friendly. Even so, being inside my Alfa is the best place I can be. The air outside is always full of dust. This looks more like a desert, god [email protected]

i usually use it as my last cooling weapon as im scared it will drink petrol like water. only really turn it on when even opening the window dont work! stingy me haha
AO Member

Member car:

My 147

Cry Like A Baby Re: Do you leave your AC turned on???

Using it a lot during summer. Too bad I don't have climate control - it's just simple A/C, you have to adjust it all the time...
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cloverleaf
I only use it when I need it (plus occassionally in the winter to de-mist the windows).
So do I. It means I have it on here from May to September, except cold mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoygaard
Also, if the throttle angle exceeds a set limit or is floored fast the ECU will cut out the A/C compressor. My old 155 16V had this feature, so does my 156 Selespeed.
Does this happen at any revs? I read somewhere that this happens only when it is floored and above 5000rpm. Does the compressor cut out also when I floor it at for example 3000?

In my case it almost doesnt affect fuel consumption during out of city driving. In city it raises a bit and I can feel power loss too.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tse_adam
i usually use it as my last cooling weapon as im scared it will drink petrol like water. only really turn it on when even opening the window dont work! stingy me haha
If doesn't use that much fuel and once the interior of your car is cool then it will use very little.

Make sure you use recirculation during the hot weather - this will recirculate the cold air from inside the car instead of using the hot air from outside - this actually makes a huge difference although maybe not so noticeable in cooler climates but will reduce the amount of time the compressor is on and hence reduce the fuel consumption
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoygaard
On modern cars the A/C is controlled by the engine management. When you push the A/C button or the climate control wants the A/C compressor to engage, this is signalled to the ECU. The ECU then compensates by richening the mixture, or increasing the idle (depending on the situation) before it sends a signal to the A/C compressor relay. Also, if the throttle angle exceeds a set limit or is floored fast the ECU will cut out the A/C compressor. My old 155 16V had this feature, so does my 156 Selespeed.

Alfas also have variable displacement A/C compressors which ensures there's not much power drain at lower temperatures. Which means it hardly saps any power during the winter but still helps demist the windows.

So basically, I leave the climate control in charge of the A/C....

-- Hoygs
Here here
AO Silver Member

County: Anglesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargy
Using it a lot during summer. Too bad I don't have climate control - it's just simple A/C, you have to adjust it all the time...
Same here, so I have to swith it on and off otherwise it gets too cold!

I've been a bit sad recently, working out my fuel consumption. The worst I have had on a tankfull is 29mpg, though it is usually only 29-31 anyway. The best I have had in winter was 32. I reckon having my windows open would do about the same damage, if not more. I know which is more comfortable!

Buck
AO Member

Member car:

My 147

Cry Like A Baby Re: Do you leave your AC turned on???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Bundy

I've been a bit sad recently, working out my fuel consumption. The worst I have had on a tankfull is 29mpg, though it is usually only 29-31 anyway. The best I have had in winter was 32. I reckon having my windows open would do about the same damage, if not more. I know which is more comfortable!

Buck
True. Alfas consume a LOT... with A/C even more...
AO Silver Member

I just leave it on auto have tried it without but it dosen't seem to make that much difference to 'economy' I'd much rather be at a comfortable temperature what really peeves me is being stuck in traffic, this affects fuel economy far more, in the gta you can just sit there and watch the average mpg drop before your eyes!
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

166 F/L TS Ti

I leave mine on all the time, and let the climate control do its job, thats what it there for. And as for fuel consumption probably about the same as driving with the window open due to the drag created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Bundy

Buck
Buck, you don't have to switch the A/C on and off. You can actually have the A/C on with the heater to give yourself warm and dry air. I leart this some time ago whilst accompanying my brother in his big Scania Top-Line down to Portugal (he used to deliver engines from Dagenham to Palmela near Lisbon. Truckies like A/C because it prevents fatigue but before climate control they simply adjusted the heater temp to get a nice ambient temperature.
Also I'm told by aircon engineers that you should always run your compressor a few times a week to prevent seizure.
AO Silver Member

County: Anglesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Buck, you don't have to switch the A/C on and off. You can actually have the A/C on with the heater to give yourself warm and dry air. I leart this some time ago whilst accompanying my brother in his big Scania Top-Line down to Portugal (he used to deliver engines from Dagenham to Palmela near Lisbon. Truckies like A/C because it prevents fatigue but before climate control they simply adjusted the heater temp to get a nice ambient temperature.
Also I'm told by aircon engineers that you should always run your compressor a few times a week to prevent seizure.
Yeah I know, but it's a bit like having your central heating on with your front door wide open!

I'm too tight fisted to do that!

Buck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
leave , turned

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page