The Mini - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Mini fun, or mini-mum fun?
They are the lower leg joints of a honey gathering insect. 6 42.86%
They are a car, no more, no less. 3 21.43%
They are Satan's abomination, visited upon anyone over 5'7" 2 14.29%
Meh. 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 08-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
The Mini

As a result of Keithyboy's poll for the UK top ten most iconic cars https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...tish-cars.html (get over there and vote, if you have not already! ) the list to vote for is here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...ml#post5048709 by the way, one thing that seems to be obvious is that British folks bang on about the 'iconic, ground breaking saviour of motoring' that is the Mini.

I have never owned one, and have only ever driven an 850 a handful of times, but my lasting impression was that it was noisy, incredibly uncomfortable, cramped, slow, had the gearbox from a 1940s tractor and rusted if left outside for 10 minutes in damp conditions.

So, what do you think of 'em?

PS The 'proper' mini, not the steriod drenched, planet sized abomination from you-know-who

PPS Let us also know if you had/have one

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Other.

Truly significant, landmark automobile. Incredible weapon in certain circumstances.

Killer pile of ****e in real life operation.
LincsKris

Had 5 in the family over the years Mini's are special little cars yes they aren't luxury motoring with massive engines its all about character and driving them hard on the right roads. Drive a decent one and I'm sure you'll change your view

(Post Link) post #4 of 34 Old 08-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I dunno Perveh, when I had the Seic Sporting folks used to say I looked like I was wearing it
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
People say that about me and the 156.
keithyboy

When I used mine daily, I developed a slight stoop. I also had a permanent cut/scrape on the back of my head from the bonnet catch.

It was great fun, I'm glad I bought it, I'm slightly sad I never finished it, I don't think I'd buy another. Something like a Suzuki Swift GTi/Citroen AX GT/Clio 16v would deliver much of the fun, with less of the histrionics, for less money.

LincsKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
I dunno Perveh, when I had the Seic Sporting folks used to say I looked like I was wearing it
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
People say that about me and the 156.
You should have seen me in my ex's KA with my mate I'm 5'11" 20ish stone and my mate a 6' 18 stone body builder

was impressed by that little rust bucket also

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
An AX GT wouldn't! Lisa had one for a couple of years and I'd have to concur with Clarkson's (I think) opinion that it had the build quality of an Algerian plastic shopping bag.

And almost everything is screwed together with bo00dy Torx screws.
AO Platinum Member

I've always been a bit "meh" about Minis.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
An AX GT wouldn't! Lisa had one for a couple of years and I'd have to concur with Clarkson's (I think) opinion that it had the build quality of an Algerian plastic shopping bag.

And almost everything is screwed together with bo00dy Torx screws.
I used to know someone who had one years ago, the passenger had to hold the dashboard in place...

Mini was my first car and I'll always love them.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Had two early versions, both kept me busy with repairs of all descriptions.

Used a very good sub frame from a front ender as a chassis for a dumpy wee trailer. :
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Minis were 'of their time' with 1960s build quality and reliability and 'ahead of their time' for engineering, handling and street cred (anyone would and did drive them).

After the 1960s and I owned a couple between 1962-65, I lost interest in them. More recently my experience of being a passenger in one in the last ten years was a shock and disappointment.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbar View Post
Minis were 'of their time' with 1960s build quality and reliability and 'ahead of their time' for engineering, handling and street cred (anyone would and did drive them).

After the 1960s and I owned a couple between 1962-65, I lost interest in them. More recently my experience of being a passenger in one in the last ten years was a shock and disappointment.
Like a biscuit tin on wheels with holes cut in it so you can see out.
AO Platinum Member

Yes I guess they were, sort of?

Leaving aside by-pass hoses that regularly split, battery cables that rubbed through and touched the steel brake pipes on top of the rear sub-frame cooking the fluid which then discharged from the tin-pot master cylinder reservoir.

Never forgetting rear crankshaft oil seals that contaminated the clutch centre plate, and gearbox mainshaft locking nuts that came loose, and.......???? a few others
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post

Leaving aside by-pass hoses that regularly split, battery cables that rubbed through and touched the steel brake pipes on top of the rear sub-frame cooking the fluid which then discharged from the tin-pot master cylinder reservoir.

Never forgetting rear crankshaft oil seals that contaminated the clutch centre plate, and gearbox mainshaft locking nuts that came loose, and.......???? a few others
Sticking float needles
Rusty subframes and mounting points
Rusty sills
Rusty A-panels
rusty wings
rusty scuttles
rusty rear valences
rusty floors
rusty door pillars
rusty doors
Rusty rusty bits
Collapsed subframe mounts
Radius arm bearings

My MoT man used to call me the man who likes pain. He used to say that he loved having my Mini in because it reminded him of how far we've come in terms of comfort and refinement.

AO Platinum Member

Doughnuts that rotted, replacements with roller bearings that collapsed, and rubber steel suspension trumpets that were cack, and engine mounts that went soggy, and engine stabilser bushes that fell to bits, flexy exhausts that split, the more I remember the more I forget! CV joints that sounded like castanets, handbrake fulcrums that seized. STOP! Gotta Headache coming on:
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Memories of a daily commute down the M1 to Hendon in the summer with the heater on to help cool the engine at 60mph and the hydrolastic suspension squeaking all the way!

Add to the problems a sticking fuel pump you had to hit to get it going, and high tension lead and distributor tracking.
AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland
I still have the scar on my head from a mini's bonnet catch. I was changing the radiator on one that had been taken as a part-ex by the garage where I was serving my apprenticeship. I ragged the p*** out of the car afterwards and found it somewhat meh.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Doughnuts that rotted, replacements with roller bearings that collapsed, and rubber steel suspension trumpets that were cack, and engine mounts that went soggy, and engine stabilser bushes that fell to bits, flexy exhausts that split, the more I remember the more I forget! CV joints that sounded like castanets, handbrake fulcrums that seized. STOP! Gotta Headache coming on:
Lots of not so good memories there zed. The little grey cells are obviously still working.
keithyboy

Window winder channels that rotted out
Balljoints that you-re-shim to remove wear. Except that no matter how many different shims you have, you can never get the right combination so the balljoint is either still too slack, or too stiff so it snaps.
Leaky driveshaft oil seals
Leaky gear selector shaft seals
Rattly simplex timing chains
Points changes that require the front grille to be removed (which requires 472 self-tappers to be removed. Then you stand on one on the grill sides which are quite delicate.

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Best car i have ever had. I want another
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Best car i have ever had. I want another
I thought you still had one with gay sportspack arches and 13" wheels that stop it handling properly?

(Post Link) post #23 of 34 Old 08-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Gaz has loads of cars he is Killing storing.
AO Platinum Member

I like 'em....

not as good as a Midget of course

....but they do have character

I've never owned one - but I've been in a few. They are basic by today's standard, but then you have to judge then by what was available in the 60's.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I thought you still had one with gay sportspack arches and 13" wheels that stop it handling properly?
Sold it i my dad (he offered to buy it) to fund the Chimaera purchase that then fell through

Money went to Gtv restoration and Spider purchase instead

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
mini

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page