Do you left foot brake? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Do you "Left Foot Brake?
What is "Left Foot brake?" 1 1.43%
Yes, of course 9 12.86%
Nope, I use only my right foot 45 64.29%
Either, depends on my mood. 15 21.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 92 Old 06-05-05 Thread Starter

Thumbs Up Do you left foot brake?

Well, are you a *real* driver or an amateur?

I find it works well on Alfenia to keep her twitchy nose under control during those long bends..... the smell of hot pads after aloooooong bend at 60mph is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Do you left foot brake?

Not on the road - don't think my Selespeed would understand what was going on anyway

I've tried it when I was doing some rallying and it takes a hell of a time to get your left foot under control
AO Member

I am not crazy. I 've made once.
I am too joung to need this.
Is not for me.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I tried left foot braking once. Nearly went through the windscreen
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky

Sometimes I have to drive company car with automatic gearbox. When I was new with this kind of gerabox, two or three times I instinctively wanted to press the clutch.......and I pressed the wide brake pedal with full force...
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha
Sometimes I have to drive company car with automatic gearbox. When I was new with this kind of gerabox, two or three times I instinctively wanted to press the clutch.......and I pressed the wide brake pedal with full force...
I have similar experiences... but when I did it, a guy next to me hit his head to the windscreen and was hospitalized

Once tried it with the 33... didn't go well
AO Platinum Member

Ive done it a few times, but it takes real concentration and a different sense of coordination to get it right. Ive nearly gone thru the windscreen too

My left foot is far too heavy anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza
Normally when we use our right foot to brake, our heel is resting on the floor, so part of the enery is passed through the floor. But when we left foot brake, our heel is off the floor, so all the energy is transferred to the pedal. It gets better with practice, though.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

With a fwd you control it much better with the hand break. Actually, I only see the point of breaking with the right foot on a rwd.
(Post Link) post #10 of 92 Old 06-05-05 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEMAN
With a fwd you control it much better with the hand break. Actually, I only see the point of breaking with the right foot on a rwd.
Thats an interesting reply.

My 156, its h/b is not good enough to stop/drag the rear wheel when applpied. Been cable operated disc's brakes they are not as powerful as drum brakes..... unlike another *marque* of car i could mention

Do you find the h/b supplies enough *stabilisation* force to keep the nos eunder control.... i would never have tried that.

Initally when i started LF braking i did the same, almost went out the indscreen. Its best to place your heel on the ground or else maje yourself VERY aware of what your left foot is doing, for the 1st few times. After that it become natural.

I really think it helps Alfenia corner better. When braking with my left ffot I am also applying power with my right foot...... does anyone else here do that?

Its a delicate thing to master BUT man when it works its great ... :d :d
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I've tried it a couple of times, but I just can't co-ordinate myself properly. It's the sort of thing you need to master on the track before trying it on the road I think. I do heel and toe though.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa20V
My left foot is far too heavy anyway....
Heavy hey

I've also done the brake thing in an automatic car, mistaking it for a clutch Almost had an accident because of it The only way I can handle automatics is too keep my left foot firm on the ground. Although again, your instincts (driving script) can take over when you want to make a sudden gear shift to move off quickly or something
(Post Link) post #13 of 92 Old 06-05-05 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers
I've tried it a couple of times, but I just can't co-ordinate myself properly. It's the sort of thing you need to master on the track before trying it on the road I think. I do heel and toe though.
Jaysus, *heel to toe* i tried that once & nearly wrote off the car

For clarity sake *heel to toe* is when you *heel* the brake pedal to operate it & *toe* the accelerator to operate it... yeah ???

Man, I respect anyone that can do that ..... we're not worthy
AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

My left foot doesn`t seem to have enough senstivity for it to work for me.Mind you my right foot`s not much better which explains why I never made it as a footie player!
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Same here...
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Yup..... I've banged an automatic to a tyre screeching halt when a pedestrian wanted to cross the road. Both feet hard down....

He refused to cross in front of me.........don't know why

Left foot braking is for the track IMO...... it's too dodgy to practice on the roads
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I've only done it in a car that stalled everytime I pulled up (a VW BTW). I kept the throttle open with my right foot and pulled the car up with my left after taking it out of gear. Everytime I did it the car stopped on a pinhead - after one or two stops there wasn't half a large gap between me and the car behind
AO Silver Member

nope, never done it. but ive gone out before with some rather large soled boots on, and as ive hit the brake ive caught the edge of the accelerator too and shot off instead of stopping now that was an interesting experience
(Post Link) post #19 of 92 Old 06-05-05 Thread Starter

To hit the brake pedal in error wil always give the driver & passengers a fright. To do it in a controlled manner is a well worth while experience.

I, during *normal* mundane driving would rarely LF brake but when travelling on teisty back roads at decent speeds I would always have the left foot *on-the-ready* for tight bends. Take practise to select the right gear for the approaching corner, so as to best use the brake/accelerator combination.

For hi-ways & motorways its not much use.
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbird1
nope, never done it. but ive gone out before with some rather large soled boots on, and as ive hit the brake ive caught the edge of the accelerator too and shot off instead of stopping now that was an interesting experience
I bet that doesn't happen with the Hoover.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
I bet that doesn't happen with the Hoover.
no, i normally just stub my toe on it

Thumbs Up Re: Do you left foot brake?

Quote:

hahaha that cracks me up....
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Thats an interesting reply.

My 156, its h/b is not good enough to stop/drag the rear wheel when applpied. Been cable operated disc's brakes they are not as powerful as drum brakes..... unlike another *marque* of car i could mention

Do you find the h/b supplies enough *stabilisation* force to keep the nos eunder control.... i would never have tried that.
Obviously, I ment with the left foot and not with the right foot (that's the "normal"). I think you got it.

In my previouse car (Lancia Y) I could do every corner with the handbreak. That was fantastic and I really loved it. Actually, the handbreak has been always a permanent and active driving method for me. Except with the Alfa. I found out that playing with the rear with this large tires isn't that easy, especialy because the hand break power never seems enough.

Well... at least I keep the tires for a longer time.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

Quote:

same here
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Gosh - I thought that was the whole point of the Selespeed - to allow you to naturally LFB - doesn't your left foot get bored ?

Seriously though - some of the comments here about LFB and Heel and Toe are along the lines of "I tried this in-extremis and I scared my self to death" - which isn't an unexpected outcome to be honest.

I'm not an expert by any stretch - but both of these are skills that clearly take a lot of time to learn. You defintely can learn some basics of these safely at low speeds - the biggest thing is getting your muscle memory trained so that you don't have to think about it at all. You really don't want to be thinking about the mechanics of whats involved when it matters!
Then you can try it with more confidence on the track.
T&H is probably the safest one to do 1st, and you can practice it safely on your daily commute, and you can derive some pleasure from it even while driving nowhere near the limit.
If you T&H on the road regulary its no problem on the track,you just do bigger throttle blips

I think you really want to be pretty responsible about how you learn LFB.
I'm pretty smooth at double declutched T&H but would regard myself as a beginner LFB'er. As far as I can see you want to practice the basic discipline of stopping the car smoothly without any throttle application for some time to allow the development of the required sensitivity in your left foot.
The first few times you try it are normally hilariously overbraked and should be tried at low speed on an empty road.
Gradually then you can experiment with braking while applying the throttle.

There are a couple of ways of applying LFB that I am aware of but only dabble with the first myslef at the moment (on track).

a) Basic LFB where you are cornering while maintaining full throttle and dab the brakes with the Left foot to bring more grip to the front without losing revs. You need to be sure you don't brake below the powerband or you lose a lot more time than you gain.

b) Dynamic LFB in conjunction with intentional sudden throttle lift off to intentionally develop large oversteer - this is how thse incredibly skilled rally professionals make those cars dance and glide over the road.

c) Relatively "Steady state" LFB on 4WD vehicles where you are trying to get the differentials to work with a certain front to rear balance .

At the risk of self advertisment I also find that (ahem) trailbraking works well with 156s with sport kits,and the GTAs.
Alfa seemed to have a setup a reasonably sporting front/rear brake bias,and the fantastically quick steering means that the relatively smooth movement of the tail is caught easily.

Cheers!
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs
Not on the road - don't think my Selespeed would understand what was going on anyway

I've tried it when I was doing some rallying and it takes a hell of a time to get your left foot under control

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Poll Room

Tags
brake , foot , left

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page