Are Spain really boring this Euros? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Are Spain THE most boring team or just really boring?
Yes they are the #1 yawnfest of the tournament 4 20.00%
Yes they are reeeeeeeally boring but not as boring as paint drying 1 5.00%
No, they have played lots of fluid, fast-paced football 11 55.00%
Other - for those who don't know or can't be bothered or are undecided... 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 28-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Are Spain really boring this Euros?

I'll start the ball rolling... Spain are the new Greece... although hoping they don't win it like Greece did! Italy and Germany are both better to watch... Even England had more exciting times lol Ok, that may be starting to push it a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Totally boring all round, and how the hell they are in the Final, is a total mystery to me.........
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
It's a bit unkind bracketing them with Greece!

Skill for sure, passing for passing sake. Actually quite a bit more predictable than you'd think when you subject yourself to watching them suffocate a game enough. Ultimately a bit dull to watch - hard to believe given the media hype - and even harder to love.

I'm equally sure any Spaniards would think this is a simple lack of understanding by the English but we understand the game, know what is entertaining, fundamentally grasp good play when we see it - we just don't excel at playing and winning the game on a pitch.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
(Post Link) post #4 of 32 Old 28-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
It's a bit unkind bracketing them with Greece!
Not in terms of passing ability, but in terms of boring opponents and fans
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
Not in terms of passing ability, but in terms of boring opponents and fans
I realised that's what you meant.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6 orange

After watching balloteli and the magician that is pirlo, I'm backing italy
AO Platinum Member

I'm a United fan but Balotelli always makes me smile, sometimes with embarrassment for him as he can be an idiot, but ultimately he is a star.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6 orange

Quote:
I'm a United fan but Balotelli always makes me smile, sometimes with embarrassment for him as he can be an idiot, but ultimately he is a star.
United fan too his two goals tonight were class, when he's up for it he's amazing, he just looks so stroppy and p***ed off
(Post Link) post #9 of 32 Old 28-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycGT View Post
United fan too his two goals tonight were class, when he's up for it he's amazing, he just looks so stroppy and p***ed off
3 United fans posting in a row about noisy neighbours... whatever next!

Sometimes I overlook the obvious Jim lol.

Balotelli is the ultimate Prima Donna Superstar... reminds me of a sulkier Ronaldo but when he can be bothered is a real handful... Like Drogba but more regularly petulant. However, if he matures a bit as he gets older then he'll fulfil all he promises... otherwise he could be another Gazza.
AO Silver Member

Looks like it
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

One good game at the European Championship tonight, won't change my opinion of this boring Spanish team, although I have to admit they thorougly deserved their victory over Italy in the Final, but 4-0 certainly flattered them.........
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Thought it would be a more even game but spain played well and are certainly better than England to watch!
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by finny05 View Post
Thought it would be a more even game but spain played well and are certainly better than England to watch!
+1
Craigo

There must be some brilliant footballers out there if you think Spain are boring. 😏

AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I can only assume you guys know **** all about football... Spain are a genius team, totally deserved their win, 4-0 did not flatter what utter rubbish.

I was supporting Italy, and I could see that they were well beaten by possibly the best national team ever.

Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmunn View Post
I can only assume you guys know **** all about football... Spain are a genius team, totally deserved their win, 4-0 did not flatter what utter rubbish.

I was supporting Italy, and I could see that they were well beaten by possibly the best national team ever.

I agree with you (i would have phrased it better though ****) on the Spainish being a very good technical team, to win 3 major tournaments on the trot is an unbelievable feat, if England played like that and won the tournament then it would be labelled good footie and not boring.

AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I get sweary when I get upset its a celtic gene issue like ginger hair, a predisposition to alcohol and a chip on both shoulders....
Craigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
I agree with you (i would have phrased it better though ****) on the Spainish being a very good technical team, to win 3 major tournaments on the trot is an unbelievable feat, if England played like that and won the tournament then it would be labelled good footie and not boring.
I agree with you but I think I would have phrased it even better. 😉

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
Not boring but the style of play can be a little wearing at times (for the opposition in particular ). The technique, ball control and passing are just wonderful to behold and a fantastic example to any boys watching of how to be in complete control of the ball. My son loves watching Spain and Barcelona play and unsurprisingly his favourite player is Messi. He may be young but I can see him trying to pass and move when playing so it obviously sinking in for him that this is a good way to play. I think I have said before however that sometimes he gets little chance on the ball as it tends to be the fastest and strongest boys who dribble all the way down the pitch before trying a shot on goal. I wish the coaches would put more emphasis on ball control and touch and less on practice matches. Look at how successful the Spainish teams have been in bringing players through - Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao in particular spring to mind. Bilbao were amazing to watch this season and played United off the park twice. The emphasis is always on touch and control and making the ball work and treating it with care. It still doesn't happen here.
I don't know if any of you read Phil Ball on ESPN soccernet website or have read his book on Spainish football 'Morbo' (fantastic read) but he is an English guy in living in Spain for the past 20 years or so. His son now plays football and was having trials at both Spainish and English clubs. Ball said that when his Spainish coached son trialed at various English clubs in the games he faded out of them because the emphasis is on power and strength and not passing and ball control. It demonstrates the difference between England and Spain and this difference goes to the grass roots of football.

However, if everyone plays this way it would be completely boring. Credit also to Prandelli for changing his tactics and formations for most games to suit the opposition - a different appraoch to the Spainish but effective enough to get Italy to the final.

Previous: Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi -147 1.6 TS Lusso - 156 1.8 TS - 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso saloon - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW - VW Golf TDi - Fiat Bravo Multijet Sport - Volvo V70 2.4D SE Lux - Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 GP - Skoda Superb 2.0D DSG L&K Estate - Now: 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW & Giulietta 1.4 MA QV-Line
(Post Link) post #20 of 32 Old 03-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I would point out that I, and a number of others, voted before the final when Spain did actually turn up and play (still not the most exciting and Italy going down to 10 didn't help) whereas this was based on their boring to watch performances prior to that. I enjoy good passing and good football but you need some pace from time to time. I appreciate the skills, I just don't think 50cm passing is demonstrating them (and no, I don't think they should go to the other extreme pushed by Gerrard of 6km passes every time)... Just some mixing up of style would be more enjoyable.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Excellence in virtually every position. A strategy that plays to their core strengths. Determination. Courage. Capacity to see out tough matches. Versatility. Flair. Touches of genius.

Yep - boring.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
I'm equally sure any Spaniards would think this is a simple lack of understanding by the English but we understand the game, know what is entertaining, fundamentally grasp good play when we see it - we just don't excel at playing and winning the game on a pitch.
Jim, I think the English don't have an understanding of the game and what passes for entertainment is exemplified far more by the way the Spanish play than the English play.

When you compare England's wasteful and unproductive long ball tactics to the movement and short passing game that is played by Spain, then you realise that they are an absolute delight to watch.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
I agree - our mentality is strange at times.......

example....the whole "thing" about taking penalties.......and the likes of Shearer bellowing before the pens are taken "decide which way you're going to take it - and stick with it....DON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND"....

Pirlo walks up....sees Hart behaving like a git and thinks "ok, I'll put you on your arse"
Craigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I would point out that I, and a number of others, voted before the final when Spain did actually turn up and play (still not the most exciting and Italy going down to 10 didn't help) whereas this was based on their boring to watch performances prior to that. I enjoy good passing and good football but you need some pace from time to time. I appreciate the skills, I just don't think 50cm passing is demonstrating them (and no, I don't think they should go to the other extreme pushed by Gerrard of 6km passes every time)... Just some mixing up of style would be more enjoyable.
Maybe if they read your post they will try to mix it up a bit next time. I think they must be doing something right to have won the 3 biggest football tournaments in a row. Maybe there are other teams that are more enjoyable to watch, but they don't lift the trophy at the end of the game. That isn't very enjoyable for fans either. I wish England were half as "boring" as Spain. Wouldn't that be refreshing?

(Post Link) post #25 of 32 Old 05-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
Maybe if they read your post they will try to mix it up a bit next time. I think they must be doing something right to have won the 3 biggest football tournaments in a row. Maybe there are other teams that are more enjoyable to watch, but they don't lift the trophy at the end of the game. That isn't very enjoyable for fans either. I wish England were half as "boring" as Spain. Wouldn't that be refreshing?
Yes and no... I mean, there have been teams that have been more exciting to watch and still won trophies (some of the Brazil teams for example). Whilst I happily accept there is a need to win ugly from time to time, I don't think I'd enjoy watching England play like Spain did early in the tournament... I'd enjoy the trophy, but I'd not enjoy the football. What would be better is to see them applying a winning style and mentality that is enjoyable to watch... Chelsea were effective when they parked the bus to win the Champions League but how many people enjoyed watching it? I'd actually take England playing better football and losing in the semi-finals to a better footballing nation at the moment.

I actually think the Spain style illustrates (albeit more indirectly than the Chelsea one) how important winning and money is over entertainment (I know it was a sport but financially it's more of an entertainment industry with less style).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
boring , euro , euros , football , spain , team

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page